D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

Seems like it's a hotter pickup....Anybody tried a D Sonic in the bridge of a JS 1000 or 1200?
Valhalla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 563
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

No, but I've tried it in basswood. It's a good pickup, if that's the sound you want.
CityofBlindingLights is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 68
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

I haven't played a d sonic yet, but i freakin love the mo joe in my 1200.
GuiltySparc is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

I have a D-Sonic in my RG, it's basswood like the JS. It sounds good, but it's not Satch like. It's moderately dark and has very good pickdynamics and fatness for single note runs (with the pole pieces towards the bridge). I love it, but if you want to retain the insane harmonics of a fred or mo'joe and so on, it isn't for that. Honestly, just listen to Petrucci's newer playing. Systematic Chaos demonstrates the sound of a D-Sonic very well.


I'm curious though, I think the fred and mo'joe are excellent pups and I think that the whole idea of constantly having hotter pickups is becoming a non-factor with todays amps and pedals ability to produce gain. So why do you really want to change pups? If you just want more gain, look into pedals, because Satch knows what he's doing in my opinion and that set up sounds amazing. But, if you genuinely want the sound of the D-Sonic then I couldn't reccomend it more.


Also, are you sure it's a mo'joe because as of right now the specs on the JS1200 are still a fred in the bridge. If you just want a bit ore output but retain the same overall approach to the sound then get a mo'joe.

Link to Ibanez JS1200 spec: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f17/d-...0-a-82824.html
kotornut is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 130
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I have a D-Sonic in my RG, it's basswood like the JS. It sounds good, but it's not Satch like. It's moderately dark and has very good pickdynamics and fatness for single note runs (with the pole pieces towards the bridge). I love it, but if you want to retain the insane harmonics of a fred or mo'joe and so on, it isn't for that. Honestly, just listen to Petrucci's newer playing. Systematic Chaos demonstrates the sound of a D-Sonic very well.


I'm curious though, I think the fred and mo'joe are excellent pups and I think that the whole idea of constantly having hotter pickups is becoming a non-factor with todays amps and pedals ability to produce gain. So why do you really want to change pups? If you just want more gain, look into pedals, because Satch knows what he's doing in my opinion and that set up sounds amazing. But, if you genuinely want the sound of the D-Sonic then I couldn't reccomend it more.


Also, are you sure it's a mo'joe because as of right now the specs on the JS1200 are still a fred in the bridge. If you just want a bit ore output but retain the same overall approach to the sound then get a mo'joe.

Link to Ibanez JS1200 spec: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f17/d-...0-a-82824.html
I don't want to sound like Satch, or anyone else but myself...I was just thinking about a hotter pickup for leads. I'm sure it's a Mo Joe. I ripped out the Fred and put the Mo Joe in there myself! I've had it in ever since it came out.
Valhalla is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I don't want to sound like Satch, or anyone else but myself...I was just thinking about a hotter pickup for leads. I'm sure it's a Mo Joe. I ripped out the Fred and put the Mo Joe in there myself! I've had it in ever since it came out.
Not telling you to sound like anyone. Just trying to help you out.
kotornut is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 68
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

I think what Kotornut was trying to say was that the tonal output of the pickup is more important than it's volume output given the ability to add heaps upon heaps of gain via pedals, amps, etc. So if you like the tone of the d sonic, then thats the pup for you. However, if you like the tone of the mo joe and just want more gain/output try getting that out of your amp/fx rig.
GuiltySparc is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
I think what Kotornut was trying to say was that the tonal output of the pickup is more important than it's volume output given the ability to add heaps upon heaps of gain via pedals, amps, etc. So if you like the tone of the d sonic, then thats the pup for you. However, if you like the tone of the mo joe and just want more gain/output try getting that out of your amp/fx rig.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to stay.
kotornut is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM
the
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: youda
Posts: 31
Re: D Sonic to replace Mo Joe in JS 1200?

I have the D sonic in my JS1000 and really like it. I play this guitar exclusively and go from blues to country (sadly) to metal and this pup has really been great. just food for thought i have the PATB in the neck, so far its been a pretty good pickup combo.
the is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gauge on JS 1200...Hmmmm Valhalla Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 11 10-19-2008 11:35 PM
JS1000 or 1200? wandereruk05 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 38 06-06-2008 06:02 AM
I GOT SCAMMED OUT OF $1200!!?? ShredderJoshW Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 62 12-11-2006 02:39 PM
JEM for $1200/£650 wanted! dannymills Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 3 06-25-2005 07:22 PM
Wttf: Js1/1000/1200/6 scarello Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 05-23-2005 03:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome