D-Tuna on a JS2000CG? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

D-Tuna on a JS2000CG?

Just curious if I'll be able to install a EVH Drop D-Tuna on the JS2000CG, and not have any problems? I can't make up my mind if I want a regular JS1000, and then just buy a Wolfgang so I'd have the fixed bridge drop D feature. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:11 PM

From my recollection, the JS2000 features the FX bridge (which has the same features as the Lo-Pro edge (without the bar, or course). This means the locking screw for the strings is located at the top of the trem right behind the saddle. You would need the locking screws to be located under the bridge (ala the original Edge trem) in order to successfully install the D-Tuna. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Hope that helps!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer Thx!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:09 PM

Possible solution

You know, here's a "mod" i've heard about for a blocked floating trem with fine-tuners that *MAY* approximate a D-tuna style bridge-

When you're tuning up to pitch, screw the fine-tuner all the way in on the low E string. Now, when you need to go to dropped-D, simply unscrew it as far as you can. I'm not 100% sure of the range of the thig, but i think across the entire range of motion on the low E oiught to cover about a whole step, lowering you to D. This wouldn't work so well with a regular (floating) edge, but on a fixed lo-pro this ought to work very nicely. Never tried it, of course, but...

-Drew
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I have an idea. If I wanted to install a EVH D Tuna couldn't I just replace the low E string stopper screw with one from an Edge trem. That way I get the extra length to install a D Tuna???
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Plz disregard the previous post! It's not gonna happen. I examined the trem, and compared the D-Tuna, and there is no way it's going to work with a EVH D-Tuna
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2002, 02:22 PM

try my suggestion, dude- you have the fine tuners, and i think the range ought to be long enough for that whole step drop.

-Drew
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 05:52 AM

I thought the the Idea of the EDGE-FX was that it could be drop tuned and messed about with WITHOUT the other strings going out of tune??? Or am I missing the point?? If it goes out of tune anyway??? What the hell is the point of it???
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brigden
What the hell is the point of it???
Good question. The guitar won't go out of tune if you change the tuning since the bridge is fixed, but since it's double locking, you can't change the tuning without unlocking the nut.

The big advantages of a fixed bridge guitar are, IMO:

1) You can easily change tunings

2) Better tone and sustain from not having large routed cavities and te large mass of metal a trem requires.

The FX-edge thing provides neither, and also can't be used as a trem.

The fine tuner trick can work, but of course if your string goes out of tune, you can no longer use the fine tuner to adjust it, and you're back to unlocking the nut.

IMO the best solution is to either find a JS6/6000 and install a Sperzel or Hipshot d-tuning device, or to get a used JS1 or 900, block the trem, and put a D-Tuna on that since it should work with original Edge trems.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
You know, here's a "mod" i've heard about for a blocked floating trem with fine-tuners that *MAY* approximate a D-tuna style bridge-

When you're tuning up to pitch, screw the fine-tuner all the way in on the low E string. Now, when you need to go to dropped-D, simply unscrew it as far as you can. I'm not 100% sure of the range of the thig, but i think across the entire range of motion on the low E oiught to cover about a whole step, lowering you to D. This wouldn't work so well with a regular (floating) edge, but on a fixed lo-pro this ought to work very nicely. Never tried it, of course, but...

-Drew
This is what I do.
It does work fine and you don't have to screw it in all the way, just "almost" all the way, so at least you have that tiny bit of play if your low E goes slightly flat.

Steve
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brigden
What the hell is the point of it???
The big advantages of a fixed bridge guitar are, IMO:

1) You can easily change tunings

2) Better tone and sustain from not having large routed cavities and te large mass of metal a trem requires.

The FX-edge thing provides neither, and also can't be used as a trem.
I fail to see how this doesn't provide that... Very slight surface routing to mount it externally, so sustain doesn't suffer. And it takes a matter of seconds to unlock and lock the bridge, thus giving you easy retuning. Yeah, having to keep track of the allen key is a bit troublesome, but you can buy little devices to clip it to the headstock. IMO this is nearly as conveniant as a fixed bridge, while still offering superior tuning stability.

Would I ever buy one? Probably not- what's the point of a JS without the trem?

-Drew
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Well my budget doesn't support buying a JS, Universe, and Wolfgang so I want to combine all three. Universe with Edge 7, EVH drop D Tuna, and push pull pots!

Thx for the help though appreciate it
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 11:28 AM

You can't put a D-tuna on a fully floating bridge, because the change in tension will knock it out of tune. The D-tuna only works on trems blocked to dive only. i'd say pass on it; you don't need to go to Drop-D on a 7, since you already have that note, so unless you're going to set it to be an "A-tuna," not worth the effort.

Many of the coil tap sounds already come out of the Universe- it's got a 5-way pickup selector switch and an honest-to-god single coil pickup. Maybea push-pull high pass filter is in the works for you, but otherwise, i'd say the universe can offer the features you're looking for on its own. Don't get hung up on the details, the big picture is the Uni can do what the other guitars you mentioned do, basically unmodded.

-Drew
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

You'll have to excuse me. I don't really pay to much attention to the seven strings, but since were on the subject what is the seventh string usually tuned to on most seven strings? thx for the info appreciate it!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:54 PM

My understandng of seven strings was that the additional low string would be tuned to B, although some ppl may tune that even lower depending on the style of music. I'm only basing that on EADGBE - the B precedes the E.

I've never tried a 7 string, but perhaps I shouldn't since it may compel me to moan continuously that Ibanez should mass produce JS7's.. not that there are many ppl doing that on this forum

Tags
coil pickup , coil tap , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , high pass filter , pickup selector switch , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode