Darn it, I missed out - ... on a Roadstar Radius - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Darn it, I missed out - ... on a Roadstar Radius

G'day all,

I'm a bit torn between relief that I don't have to worry about a guitar being shipped from the USA, and bummed out about missing out on a great bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1492704070

The same guitar here in Australia second hand would be about $400 USA even in average condition ! That will teach me to use a bigger maximum bid, which I should have done today.

I know it's not a Satriani model, but I think these late 80's guitars are better than the JS models. I've always wanted one so I'll just have to keep waiting now I guess.

*sigh*

Tony

[email protected]

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 03:06 AM

Darn it, I missed out

I got one ('87).
This babe is just amazing. She has a great sound and great playability, even tho not that ultra-sleek neck Ibanezes use to have.
She also looks awesome: I can't stop watching her!

nuno
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:15 AM

Darn it, I missed out

These "ultra" necks are very comfortable. They even remind me a lot of the JPM neck profile.

Love the Radius's,
Oliver
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:31 AM

Darn it, I missed out

I have that guitar, but in red pseudo-burst. A couple things...

1) My 87 has a lighter basswood than any 88 or 89 I've played. *In the case of my 87 & 88, almost a half pound lighter (4.1 lbs for the 87 w/ electronics). *Seems more resonant, too, but that could just be this piece.

2) The lower bout isn't routed as deep, so the high fret access isn't as good as on the 88 & later Radiuses. *Also, the neck sits 1/8" higher in the neck pocket, further diminishing access & comfort (pups & trem sit higher to match the neck, even though those routs are as deep as the 8. *It's also not quite as round toward the edge. *My 88 is a constant curve as it thins to the outer edge. *The 87 is flat, then has a decided "knee" where it tapers to the edge. *This might be just for the ease of applying that burst, I dunno.

3) Big agreement on the "ultra" neck profile. *It ranks up there with Warmoth & Carvin as one of my fave necks.

4) These are great deals. *My favorite stock axes. *People are paying $400-500 for JS100s and letting these slide. *...silly people...

Keep your chin up, mate! *These come around on eBay fairly often. *I've gotten 3 of them in the past few months (almost 4 - I was looking pretty hard at this one and I still HAVE two...) *As a stock axe, I'd get an 88 or 89 for the better access, so maybe this was a blessing in disguise.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 08:38 AM

Darn it, I missed out

Awesome guitar! I've been looking for pics of that model for a long time!!! Thx for posting the link. Sorry things didn't work out. They just had a blue sparkle Talman w/Bigsby I had to pass up and that hurt so I know how you feel!!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 10:45 AM

Darn it, I missed out

Here's a better pic...
http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_opfaen/gitarre/radius/

So, why was "jewel blue" a burst in 87, then a solid color in 88, then a burst again in 91? *Or were they different by country, like how they make JS1000 in BTB but you can't get them here? *Oli's is darn beautiful, AND has the deep cutaways...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 11:03 AM

Darn it, I missed out

Quote:
JESTER700 on 4:45 pm on Dec. 10, 2001
Oli's is darn beautiful
Thanks for your kind words about my guitar. Yes indeed, it's one beautiful axe. Scott 74, feel free to download the pictures from my site.

Good point about the different cutaways. I never had the chance to check out an earlier model to compare them. The change in the color codes confuses me, too. JESTER700, I guess you're right; jewel blue must have been a burst in the beginning, then a solid and then a burst again later.

Oliver

Here are the pics:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 01:43 PM

Darn it, I missed out

hmm.. what's it say on the 21st fret inlay?

~A
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 02:20 PM

Darn it, I missed out

anuj,

the inlay says Custom Made.

Oliver
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:32 PM

Darn it, I missed out

I didn't know YOU were Oli! *Man, I covet your axe more than any other (please accept that as a compliment!)

Anuj, most of the 5xx models said "Custom Made" in the 90s...
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:56 PM

Darn it, I missed out

I feel your pain....I've let alot of good ones "get away".

Think about it this way...there are always others!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Darn it, I missed out

G'day all,

Oh wow ! that is one nice looking Radius !, and one great guitar page too Oli.

You know if I hadn't lost out on that Radius I may never have posted a message here about Radius Ibanez's and would never have learnt about the different neck set point (Height) and a few other things like, some models comming out with the C1 vertical humbuckers. Taking that into consideration, now I am far better prepared to buy a Radius than I have ever been. *There is always a positive in a negative situation.

I found another Radius online, not Ebay, and I'm waiting on a response from the seller. If it's a post '88 I'll grab it.

Thanks everyone for the condolences, and I hope to be leaving a message here, or in the "Other 6 string guitars" forum saying "I've got one ! Yipee!"

Tony

[email protected]

`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:04 PM
YJM

Darn it, I missed out

I love Oli's Radius, too. In fact, I couldn't help imagining my fingers running all over that fantastic looking fingerboard as I was looking at the pictures.

G'day, too, Tony. Good luck on that Radius! Let us know if you do get it.

-Bill
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 07:27 PM

Darn it, I missed out

Did you guys see the swirled one on eBay? *I'm not a fan of swirls generally, but that's a nice one (not too crazy). *If I weren't already overdrawn on the wife-guitar-allowance-account, I'd consider it (I won the Jackson JSX94 I was talking about earlier).

Routs look like 88-89 vintage.

Oh, and Oli - it's weird; now that I think of it, when I worked at $cam ca$h the "Jewel Blue" WAS that solid royal blue. *That was in 91! *Must be a "different country, different market" thing.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:06 PM

Darn it, I missed out

How much did you pay for that Radius in American dollars? Thx!
Closed Thread

Tags
fret access , fret inlay , guitar playing , jpm neck , local music store , music store , near mint condition , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode