DBK discontinued in '04 - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 AM

It's a Korean made Wolfgang QT (Quilt Top). It is a REALLY nice guitar. I owned a American Wolf Special a couple of years ago, and I have to say that this Korean one is just as good!

The PBK has a RB-neck. Personally I think it looks great, plus I love the thickness of the RB-neck. I'm not a fan of wizard necks and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:04 PM

my comment was not based on $ or lack of it. the quilt top versions are Korean unless you go to the Peavey custom shop. i was guessing- by reasonable deduction - that this is not a custom shop model just because most people that spend the $ in the custom shop usually get the standard or flame-top special.
i figured it wasn't a USA special just because of the quilt-top and the neck doesn't look like a bird's eye maple. you can get just about any option you want on those guitars- but those reasons are why i made my statemant- that's all.
back on topic- i am getting my first production model - a Jem7DBK. i should have it next week and i can hardly contain my excitement!!!
anybody looking for one should have no problem getting one at a reasonable price as they made a lot in the past 4+yrs of production.
i'll post my review next week on it.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 02:06 PM

BTW- the Korean ones are very nice guitars- just to clarify that i wasn't cracking on the quality of the guitar.
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 03:20 PM

The original release of the wolfgang was quilt top, instead of flame maple. These were *not* custom shop jobs. Sorry to get all antsy on you though it was really early in the morning[
quote="screamndemon69"]my comment was not based on $ or lack of it. the quilt top versions are Korean unless you go to the Peavey custom shop. i was guessing- by reasonable deduction - that this is not a custom shop model just because most people that spend the $ in the custom shop usually get the standard or flame-top special.
i figured it wasn't a USA special just because of the quilt-top and the neck doesn't look like a bird's eye maple. you can get just about any option you want on those guitars- but those reasons are why i made my statemant- that's all.
back on topic- i am getting my first production model - a Jem7DBK. i should have it next week and i can hardly contain my excitement!!!
anybody looking for one should have no problem getting one at a reasonable price as they made a lot in the past 4+yrs of production.
i'll post my review next week on it. [/quote]
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
my comment was not based on $ or lack of it. the quilt top versions are Korean unless you go to the Peavey custom shop. i was guessing- by reasonable deduction - that this is not a custom shop model just because most people that spend the $ in the custom shop usually get the standard or flame-top special.
i'll post my review next week on it.
I work for a Peavey Dealer and we've has USA and Korea made Wolfgang Specials with quilt tops, US models without quilt tops, and US models with arch tops with and without quilt. The US models all have Bird's eye maple necks and US made pick ups. The Korean ones have "Plain" maple necks and Korean-wound pups taht are copies of the US ones and a less expensive FR Copy Trem.
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 09:01 AM

wow- we really got off topic on this one!
i know you can get the US specials in the quilt top- but 99.9% of the ones i've seen are the EXP version. all of the specials i've seen - custom shop excluded- have hard rock maple necks and are plain next to the birds eye.
i guess if we want to discuss this further we need to start a Wolfgang history type of thread.
as not to make this a total "wolfie" remak- my 7DBK and UV1000 case is shipping out today and i hope to see it by mid week!! yippeee!!!
i think the 7DBK is a really cool model and i will be sad to se it get retired but i will be very excited to see what will replace it (chrome Jem?). i have wanted the 7DBK since i saw a pic of one 3yrs ago and was willing to buy one w/out ever playing it - as i know if it is as good of a player as other Jems and RG5XX, i knew i couldn't go wrong.
the 7DBK i played was extremely light and it had a chunk missing from excessive belt buckle rash on the back- is this something that happens easily? are they that soft as to wear a piece out of the wood?
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 01:24 AM

i dont really know but probably seeing as how there is more of an edge to catch on your belt buckle. since it is not a smooth finish, the buckle probably catches on the material paintjob.
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 08:45 PM
TPV

JEM7DBK in the UK GUITAR MARKET???

I am going crazy - since the JEM7DBK came out I have been saving for it, and by January 2004 I will have the cash to get it, and NOW they want to take it off the market - Irony or what?!

I am in the UK. Can anybody tell me any news about specifically the JEM7DBK in the UK market. Any place where I could still get this Jem in the UK - Factory New I'm talking...

Many Thanks, Cheers
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:15 PM

for the uk try www.ibanezguitars.co.uk or www.gak.co.uk. They both seem to be pretty good. Also, just because the DBK is discontinued doesn't mean it won't be around for a while, there will still be the old stock left for a bit. In fact, you may have chosen a good time to buy a DBK as shops will be looking to offload the older stock and so may put discounts on the DBKs in order to shift them. But then again, they may not......
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:35 PM

I found a brand new DBK at a store in Austin, Texas a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised as a discontinued model and I got it for a good price. I was really surprised when it came in, it's a 99 model. This is my first post and my first JEM. I learned a lot on this site before I decided on a JEM.
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weserman
for the uk try www.ibanezguitars.co.uk or www.gak.co.uk. They both seem to be pretty good. Also, just because the DBK is discontinued doesn't mean it won't be around for a while, there will still be the old stock left for a bit. In fact, you may have chosen a good time to buy a DBK as shops will be looking to offload the older stock and so may put discounts on the DBKs in order to shift them. But then again, they may not......
Exactly, there will always be some NOS around.

I bought my RG 520QSTB in Dec 2002, it's a 1999 model.

I know it's not a Jem, but they are all guitars, and the 'cheaper' ones (not that the QS was cheap when it first came out) sell a little better than the top of the line stuff, so I'm sure you'll find DBK's for a while to come, even if they are discontinued.

Mic

Tags
abalone inlays , basswood body , buckle rash , chrome jem , custom shop , dot inlay , dot inlays , flame maple , ibanez dealer , local music store , maple neck , maple necks , mesa boogie , monkey grip , music store , paf pro , pearl pickguard , peavey wolfgang , production model , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , steve vai , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode