Is the DBK as high quality as the VWH - aside from gold hard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Is the DBK as high quality as the VWH - aside from gold hard

Hi, other than the spec sheet differences, are there any quality/playing/longevity/craftsmanship differences between them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 10:38 PM

Is the DBK as high quality as the VWH

The finish, the bubinga strip, the neck thickness, and the price (LOL).

Other than that, they're very similar- built by the best luthiers Ibanez has.
You'll find the craftsmanship and quality top-notch in both models.

...and they both play great! *:-)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 01:12 AM

They're great quality.. The design of the DBK isn't as demanding as that of the VWH (bumpy finish on DBK, no fancy inlays, etc.) so isn't as hard to "get it right." A well set up DBK should play just as well as a VWH. Right now, a used DBK is one of the best deals out there.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 02:16 AM

Captain Ron,

I'll give my opinion, since I happen to own both.

The two Jems are both high quality. *Niether one feels inexpensive or of sub-standard components. *I love the ebony board and Evolution pickups on the VWH. *I like the neck and tone of the Breeds on the DBK. *I enjoy playing both guitars, and they are some of the finest Ibanez makes.

Later (gotta go play),
Chris
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 10:36 AM

I tried both and found the VVW had 'something more'.Then again, it could have had a better setup, and the years of seeing SV with evo can definetely alter my taste. Anyway, this little difference wasn't as big as the price difference.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:24 AM

I've owned both - at the same time - and I still own the 7DBK. For me, the DBK was the guitar with "something more" and I never bonded with the 7VWH as beautiful as it was, so I traded it off for a Parker Fly Classic. I think the VWH and DBK are equal in build quality and the quality of components, but like any production line guitar you get bad wood and good wood, the ones that talk to you and the ones that are dead off the rack... If you find a great DBK, it's the equal of a great VWH - just different, and the differences amount to little more than personal taste in the end...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 11:30 AM

I love my DBK.
Why?
Because it's a real workhorse. Straightforward, no frills, no needless fancy stuff, just quality build, playability and sound.

I'm not a lover of the VWH to be honest, I've always been comfortable playing low key guitars, not to say that I don't like the look of flashy guitars, I'm just not too drawn to them.

I like the finish on the DBK, it adds to the fact that it's not seen as some sort of guitar you have to polish and worry over every time you finish playing it.
My DBK has developed loads of dings and I like it that way.

I'm also more comfortable with dots as opposed to vines, it's all a visual thing, but when playing at speed it just helps me to focus more on what I'm doing...ice cream.

I welcome the bubinga stripe, it gives me the added assurance that my skinny neck will hold up over time (it's a tough wood, I'm currently carving 2 fully bubinga necks and it aint an easy task)

In short, they are both made with the same attention to detail, the only things that make the price difference are the elaborate inlay, finish and gold hardware.
The pickups are obviously quite different, but having had a VWH (only for a short time I admit...bills) and then the DBK, I initially wanted to get back to the EVO's.
I started experimenting much more and found the Breed's to be amazingly versatile, they really can cover a lot of range.

If you're buying and are torn between the 2, then I'd say save yourself some money and get the DBK.

Steve

P.S. To add, don't let the fact that SSV plays VWH's sway your decision process. They ain't VWH's anyway, they've been so bastardised over the years that they are just a white guitar that suits his needs.

(Edited by ripl3y at 11:33 am on Jan. 12, 2002)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 02:23 PM

Well, in a word, to answer the question: *Yes. *I have played both, own a DBK, and will soon own a VWH. *I think they are both great guitars, and either one suits any type of music....both are very versatile....my DBK is my main axe right now, but I'm not sure if that will remain true once I get my VWH....time will tell.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, i think i got my answer: Yes.

Tags
bubinga neck , ebony board , evolution pickups , parker fly , parker fly classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode