DBK questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

DBK questions

I am thinking about purshasing a jem but since i may not have the needed amount of money for a 7vwt then i was thinking about getting the BK and upgrading it, i.e changing the pickups.
I was just wondering if you can buy evolutions and how much they usually sell for. Also i was wondering if there is any difference in the neck profile's of the D and the V as i do enjoy a good shred and want to know if the D is as shredtastic as the V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 02:58 PM

Re: DBK questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem
I am thinking about purshasing a jem but since i may not have the needed amount of money for a 7vwt then i was thinking about getting the BK and upgrading it, i.e changing the pickups.
Both guitars are the same quality, they're just different. So it depends on your tastes. You can buy Evolutions from DiMarzio, not sure of the price. The DBK comes with the Breed pickups (which are great too).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 03:41 PM

Trust me - if you can shred on a 7VWH you can shred on a DBK.

Like Two Hands said....there is no real difference in quality. It is just personal tastes and financial situation.

For example quite alot of people dont like the inlay on the DBK.
And some people dont the breed pickups on it either.

To be honest i am not one of these "pickup tone" freaks out there. If you gave me an Evolution pickup and a Breed pickup.....i couldnt tell the difference!

Honestly....if i were you.....i would pick up a nice cheap used DBK and see how you get on. You never know you might actually grow to like everything about the DBK.

But if ya dont.....you can always the change the pickups or whatever ya want to do
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 05:17 PM

The neck on the DBK is a little thinner, but both play smooth... the evos are punchier, but the breeds are pretty sweet too... don't discount them because of the word "Evolution."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:15 PM

It's easy to buy Dimarzio Evolutions... just walk into a guitar store and order some. You can also order them in a great number of colours, and can also mix and match the colours.

In Australia they run for AUS$189 rec retail.. In the states I'm sure they're alot cheper.

The DBK has a wizard neck I think, which is "shredtastic" like you said, the VWH has a slightly thicker feeling JEM neck. Both are awesome.

Breeds and Evolution pickups sound very different.
The Evolution pickups are much higher output. The Breeds are somewhat smoother, more responsive to pick attack and such.

That's what I've found with my guitars anyway...

Personally I prefer the Evolutions.

wil..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:36 PM

what exactly do u mean by V and U shaped necks? which one is the wizard one?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavoletto
what exactly do u mean by V and U shaped necks? which one is the wizard one?
The wizard is probably neither of those.....its just flat and thin A good example of a V neck would be "the Luke" Music Man guitar (the Lukather sig model). Kind of a sharper feel to your thumb when anchoring and not as rounded. A U shaped neck would be like a typical strat neck, kinda rounded out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 PM

the breed and evo have the same quality but abit diffrent sound

both cost the same

the breed are very nice pickups

some of steve's songs played on breed sutch as "blood an tears" song...

dont think they are cheaper
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i am pretty temped just to buy a DBK, but then i look at the V and i'm like just at the sheer beauty of it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 AM

I was in the same sitution of difficult choice3 between them both, but finally the most reasonnable decision was to buy dbk first, play on it and save money for 7vwh. I took dbk and it is awesome wild alive thing! You won't be disappointed. But I'm sure now that everybody who loves JEMs has to have both of them
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 AM

For the money, a great guitar.....love mine.

Tags
dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , evolution pickups , jem neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode