DBK vs BRMR - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Re: DBK vs BRMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
i'm hearing that alot Jim. i'd love to have the chance to get a blind test and play both.
the basswood might be a higher grade basswood also. i'm shooting in the dark but i'm giving Ibanez the benefit of the doubt about the price point between them actually being something other than the binding and the top.
either way i am a believer that there is SOMETHING that sets them apart besides the obvious cosmetic reasons.
Higher grade basswood shouldnt make sense, after all, its not an RG, or a god forsaken 555... the DBK IS a jem7...

Maybe its not that the mirror top enhances the tone, but the tar textured thing muffles it... maybe more wood mass cause of the thicker neck? maybe the new trem has a benefit after all? who knows...

Im positive than on a A/B test, people wouldnt see a difference (other than the subconcious need to justify a 2k price increase...)

Sadly, an blind test would be impossible, cause of the texture (duh), different neck feel and trem... maybe the closest would be the last batch of DBKs, the ones with Edge Pros on them... not sure which neck were on those...

Quote:
the interesting point is the owners of the BRMR's who have played both say there is a big difference but i haven't heard from the DBK owners who have played both.
Thats cause people who get BRMRs wont admit that they dropped 2k more just for looks, and people with DBKs wont dare say a thing cause theyd be dismissed and chastised with posts like the one above me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM

No...there REALLY is a truely noticable tonal difference between the two

Too much of a difference to all be in my head. Or on the other hand I may be losing my mind which could be quite possible

Have you played / heard both????
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM

Played only a DBK, didnt care for the finish, and Breeds dont do it for me (tried them on an RG a lil while ago and i didnt like them either). It sure played nice tho, even if the neck is a lil on the thin side...

The BRMR, i just saw hanging at the store and quite honestly, i didnt like it. Only thing i like is the look of the new necks, but the 570 dots kill it for me (i know, yours is different )...
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
Breeds dont do it for me
You don't know how many times I've heard this from DBK owners / players. But I've never heard it once from a BRMR owner. Maybe they just don't want to admit they dropped that kind of $ on it????

Seriously though....the BRMR is my best sounding Jem. And I've got Jems with both the PAF's and EVO's

I absolutely LOVE the tone

Quote:
the 570 dots kill it for me (i know, yours is different )...
How could anyone NOT know as many times as I've posted pics of it!

Hey wait....this thread is about BRMR's.

Now where was that pic
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Nah, i know about the breeds, thats why i said i tried them on a 570 too - i know, still far from the brmr, but at least i can tell the difference between an rg with breeds and one with tzs for example

and dude, you need to post that one again
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
and dude, you need to post that one again
I would.....except I'd have to give my self an infraction for exceeding the allowable limit for posting duplicate photos

15 points and a two week suspension
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 PM

I love my DBK, I think it sounds a little warmer to my ears than the BMMR
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenthought View Post
I love my DBK, I think it sounds a little warmer to my ears than the BMMR
so you have tried both side by side thru the same amp at the same time?
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM

I am a DBK owner, and I can afford a BRMR, and have played one in a store through the same amp that I own (Peavey JSX 212). Although it wasn't a true A/B test with both guitars handy to swap back and forth. To my ear's memory, their sound was almost identical, with some small differences that could be attributed to any number of factors, the location, cable, etc. And without a doubt their will be differences -- finish, trem, neck to name the obvious, but probably nothing that would put one considerably better then the other.

However, if the look and feel of the BRMR is what turns your crank and the price doesn't bother you... then it's the one for you. Otherwise the DBK should be the ticket.

Personally, I took the money I saved and bought the JSX.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM

Well, I can compare it to my PGM100JB which is very similar in terms of tone and playability (PAF pros + JEM single coil) to the JEMs of around the same era (1989/90/91) As far as tone and harmonic variety is concerned, the BRMR kicks any other guitar I've ever played into the dustbin (I've played a couple of JEMs with evos too). I've played this through quite a few rigs and combos and it sounds awesome. I haven't played another JEM with Breeds though.

In fact, the PGM100JB just doesnt cut it in terms of sound for me anymore although - and this is probably because I've had the guitar longer - the PGM seems to be more playable. I prefer the fatter frets and the neck just seems better to me. I've posted two links to the guitars for you to look at.

Richard
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Sweet PGM. I love that colour combo
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM

the PGM is not really like the DBK - so not much of a comparison there. it does sound closer to my VBK though as it was originally.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM

it seems most ppl don't want to touch this thread with a 10ft pole.
makes me wonder if you sent a DBK body to a shop for the same cosmetics as the BRMR what the outcome would be? would they sound the same? hmmmm.... i would (blindly) guess they would but of course that is just a guess.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 PM

Maybe, just maybe, its the screwhead inlays that dampens the tone...
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, its the screwhead inlays that dampens the tone...
Then maybe...just maybe, it's my vine inlay that makes my Vrmr tone soo brilliant

Tags
edge pros , paf pro , paf pros , peavey jsx , sims custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode