DBK vs VWH - pickup question/opinion - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

DBK vs VWH - pickup question/opinion

i have never really played around with the DBK until yesterday.

i must say, i was absolutely shocked when i first picked it up. before even plugging it in, i already didnt have a great feeling about it. my hands are medium sized and my fingers arent too long, and that neck just did not feel good at all, way way to thin. then i plugged it in, and essentially did an A/B test with the DBK and VWH.

i must say, any reservations i had about the feel were severly pushed back when faced with the sound. those breed's are f-ing killer ass great. not as much the bridge (im a dead stickler for the EVO bridge), but the neck pickup was one of the best sounds i have ever heard come out of any guitar period. i have always loved the sound of an alder guitar with EVO's and a floyd. but this breed pickup just sounded so good im speechless.

anyways, my question is this, how would a breed neck match up with an EVO in thebridge? would a basswood guitar or alder guitar respond better? if anyone has experience with the breed neck in an alder guitar, would they be willing to describe the sound as compared to the EVO neck in alder?

if that neck wasnt so thin, id buy that guitar in a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:19 PM

Well....this isnt really answering your question but more talking about the neck.

The neck isnt that thin, it is just thin compared to other guitars. I suppose it depends on what you are used to playing on?

Because if you are used to playing on a PRS for example, the JEM neck would feel like paper!

Personally i think it is well worth getting used to the thin-ness of the neck. Trust me....you will more than likely be hooked on Ibanez Guitars from then on. And anyway, if you have a thinner neck, you will be able to shred all damn day long.....which is a good thing!

But as i said earlier.....depending on what your used to (strat, les paul) the neck will feel thinner.

the.godfather
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

el neckoz

i play a carvin dc127c with EVO's and a floyd and that has a pretty thin neck, its pretty close in size to the VWH's neck.

but when i tried that dbk it was quite a bit thinner than that.

i like a little meat to my necks, nothing like a 58 les paul or nothing, just a little substance.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:24 PM

I cant help you much on that particular pickup aspect of the dealio but in regards to the neck profile on the DBK.....

I almost didn't get my DBK because of the neck profile. It just felt to thin to get used to at first. But after making a some trips back to the store and after playing it more and more, the whole guitar grew on me. I'm well adapted to it today and still play my Fender a lot as well. They both have very different profiles, but they both feel comfortable to me in their own respects. Once adjusted you'll be shocked how thin it really doesn't feel anymore
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:41 PM

Bridge Evo/Breed Neck sounds ok to me,having not tried them myself.

Evo is 404mv and the breed neck is 325mv just for comparison the evo neck is 294mv,so should be a good match ... hope that helps,i'll always take the evo neck off ya :-)

Rob

edited due to me spelling being poo

Tags
basswood guitar , evo bridge , ibanez guitars , jem neck , les paul , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode