Deciding on a Jem??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Deciding on a Jem???

Hi there, i am looking into purchasing my first ever Ibanez Jem, the combination of undeniable aesthetic appeal and overall quality made my mind up for me.

Trying to choose a specific is becoming a problem for me though, i am a sucker for looks in a guitar and was immediately attracted to the 20th anniversary model, doesnt seem to have such good feedback though which is putting me off slightly. Its not the kind of guitar that can be tried out due to rarity.

Apart from that i have really taken a fancey to the FP2 and the 77BRMR Bad Horsie model, the FP2 i havent heard a bad word about yet and thats looking like front runner.

I prefer a heavier style of music and play mostly metal but also aspire to play the music of the instrumentalist gods such Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Jeff Loomis etc. What Jem model would be the best option for what i am looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Deciding on a Jem???

Like I post in all the other "What Jem should I get" threads--get the one that YOU like best. Pickups can always be changed out to suit your tastes. You have to find the one that looks best to you, not us.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i suppose thats true pickups can be changed, i just want to make sure i get the best there is, im not worried about cost at all because if its worth it i'l pay it. I like the bold looking Jems, would never purchase a white one as i dont believe it has the x-factor of the 77 models with theyr bold exteriors.

I see FP2 has Evo's, how do these compare to the Breeds as in a playing heavier/metal sense?? i know theyr supposed to be a lot cleaner but would Breeds be a better option?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

I have Evos, Evo2s, and Breeds. Rhe Breeds are my current favorite of the Vai pickups. They're not as punchy as the Evos, as harsh as the Evo2, and are much smoother and creamier.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

What pickups would you say are best for playing a diverse range of music but mostly consisting of heavier stuff i.e metal, hard rock and the likes of Vai/Satch's more hardcore songs???

Say i purchased the FP2 would i be able to swap in a set of Breeds and achieve the desireable sound, vice versa if i swapped in Evo's to a BRMR Bad Horsie??

Thanks for the help mate
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Much of it depends on the rest of yourig: amps, effcts, etc. Your best bet is to go to dimarzio.com and use the pickup selector tool. You may even like something other than Vai pups. I love the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo and the Super Distortion/PAF Pro combo. Others like the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo or D Activators.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

I was going to say " get a brand new 7 VWH" because truthfully, the new ones are the best players and just can't be beat. But! I saw you were looking for some flash...the FP2 is a great guitar, albeit a bit pricey....and the 77BRMR has an amazing neck, but sellers seem to be raping people on eBay for the used ones. On a side note, I agree with AlaskaBat that Breeds are my fav pickups of the bunch too. The 77BRMR has them stock.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Air Zone / Air Norton
I love the Texas Special in the Middle for a great strat tone.
Position 3 and 4 on the 5 way switch give great strat tones with this combo.
Kicks ass with control!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

77BRMR seems like a good bet, dnt think I could go much wrong with either that or the Floral 2. Only thing that worries me about the BRMR is while it looks amazing what is it like for scratches due tothe mirror finish??

Also how are the Evo2's in the Floral 2?? are theyrip your face off material? lol

Cheers lads
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 AM
NSR

Something that hasn't been addressed yet is the neck. The shape and feel are quite different from model to model which is probably more important, plus you can change the pickups more easily than the neck. Depending on your style and capabilities,= (you did include Gilbert) you may be inclined to go for a Jem with a thin wizard neck. I think the DBK has close to a thin wizard neck - going 17mm-20mm (1st fret to 12th fret) instead of 17mm-19mm iirc and it has breed pickups too. Not as flash as the FP2 or BRMR I know, but asthetics are second to how it handles if you're going to get the most out of it.
You may want to avoid a Jem model fitted with an Edge Pro too, unless it has the stud lock conversion fitted or you're willing to upgrade the studs yourself.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I wish I could play like Gilbert! haha! I definetely prefer a more thin neck but not too thin, I haven't giant palms and small fingers lol. I picked up a Jem before and it felt very confertable in my hands (can't remember the model) but iv been used to bigger chunkier guitars such as Strats and absolutely hated them, far too heavy and the neck was like gripping a can of pringles lol.

What's wrong with the edge pro anyways mate? Basically I'm just looking for a flash guitar that's way to shred on, capable of handling heavy metal and harmonics that will burst your ear drums haha!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toro Grande View Post
What's wrong with the edge pro anyways mate?
The Edge Pro (EP) doesn't come with locking studs. This is not a problem to begin with, but during time and use they can move about and the holes for the studs become elliptical. This eventually results in tuning issues because the studs are able to move about when they should be secured solid.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM

I like NSR's comments. I agree the DBK neck is a home run....I think it's the same neck on my 2KDNA if I'm not mistaken, and that is my favorite Jem neck of all time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode