Deciding on a Vai Guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Deciding on a Vai Guitar

I am buying a new guitar soon. I am in deep love with both universe and jem but I cannot decide which one i should buy. From the 2011 line which one would you?

I'm deciding for a Jem 7VWH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Deciding on a Vai Guitar

The big question for you is--do you want 6 or 7 strings? Once you figure that out, the choice is easy. If you go with a Uni--you're going to have to settle for black. If you go with a Jem, then you have to decide what looks best for you. We don't know your taste in guitars, so you have to pick what you like--not a couple hundered annonymous Internet guitarists. Personally, I'd go with an older Jem--more finish options. Remember--no matter what you decide on--pickups can easily be swapped out to ones you like best.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM

I would personally get the FP2
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The big question for you is--do you want 6 or 7 strings? Once you figure that out, the choice is easy. If you go with a Uni--you're going to have to settle for black. If you go with a Jem, then you have to decide what looks best for you. We don't know your taste in guitars, so you have to pick what you like--not a couple hundered annonymous Internet guitarists. Personally, I'd go with an older Jem--more finish options. Remember--no matter what you decide on--pickups can easily be swapped out to ones you like best.
Thanks for the answer. I was thinking of buying a 6 string because in case I buy a Uni I want to go for a swirl but I just can't afford one right now. Between those jem which is the right one I should get?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IņigoA View Post
Thanks for the answer. I was thinking of buying a 6 string because in case I buy a Uni I want to go for a swirl but I just can't afford one right now. Between those jem which is the right one I should get?
They all have pretty much the same specs, just different pickups and finishes. You have to decide what YOU like--especially when peeling off that much bacon.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 25

My vote goes for the FP2... I wouldn't touch a white Jem... it just looks like a fake chibanez :P hehehehe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
My vote goes for the FP2... I wouldn't touch a white Jem... it just looks like a fake chibanez :P hehehehe
LOL--good one! However--the Chibanez FP2 looks much better than the 7VWH Chiba...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 2

Personally, if I were going to buy a new model Jem/UV it would be the Jem 505...... it delivers the most bang for the buck. You give up pretty inlays (they really don't sound that much better anyway...lol) and Evo's from the factory, but you can do a pickup/switch swap (put in ANY pickup of your choice) and save a lot of money.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 AM

Reviews: 11

Id go with the universe personally. But, the vwh is a close second!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
I would personally get the FP2

+1 to that. I prefer the FP original personally, but for a 2011, FP2 is the best value IMHO. If you want a 6 string that is.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Reviews: 3

I have seen recently in Madrid and near Madrid second hand Jems (7V WH, 7V VSBL, 7 RB, 7 D BK, 777V BK). Some of them were in famous stores and some on ebay classic and anuncios. Check them out if you want to save huge money!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Reviews: 4

Gotta say, I'm a sucker for the FP2, I actually played SSV's proto lol! But the 505, as ryc mentioned is a great logistical choice if money is an issue.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
I have seen recently in Madrid and near Madrid second hand Jems (7V WH, 7V VSBL, 7 RB, 7 D BK, 777V BK). Some of them were in famous stores and some on ebay classic and anuncios. Check them out if you want to save huge money!
Any store in particular I could go get one in Madrid???
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM

First decide if you want 6 or 7 strings. Then, if you're talking strictly 2011 models to choose from, I'd go with the 7VWH. The 77FP2 is awesome (I own both) but it's expensive for what it is. If you want a straight up awesome player that looks georgous to boot, go with the 7VWH. You won't be disappointed!!

Tags
vai jem universe buy new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode