Demoing a 777VDY .. any advice? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Demoing a 777VDY .. any advice?

Hi all,

I'll be checking out a Jem 777VDY in a couple of days, since it has the same Wizard-like neck as my 7PBK. I guess I just have to live with the yellow...

Any advice and/or suggested pricing (dollars/euros)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 12:45 PM

I own one and don't be fooled by the color. This jem has in my opinion one of the best jemnecks.

I think 700 euro is a good price.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:08 PM

I don't have any advice particular to the Jem, but as with any guitar, take your time! sometimes I'll get excited with the guitar, and forget to check for details. You should:

-Check for cracks: specially in the neck pocket and headstock. Neck joint cracks are NOT always only superficial. See 'All About Evo'!

-Check neck straightness: you don't need straight edges or something, just look carefully pointing the neck towards light.

-Check EVERY fret, on EVERY string. Play every note on the fretboard and see if there's buzzing.

-Play with the trem: it must have stable tuning (if not, you can fix it by reading here or Ibanez Rules). ANY weird noise is BAD noise.

-Take your screwdriver, remove plates and look for bad wiring and stuff.

-Ask questions. you are spending your money, so you're entitled to!

Hope that helps!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
I own one and don't be fooled by the color. This jem has in my opinion one of the best jemnecks.

I think 700 euro is a good price.
The guy asked 875. I brought it down to 775 (started at 700 though).

I've seen some other old jems for sale (DY,SP) for even higher prices, so I can live with the price if it is in good condition.

The neck is definitley what I'm going for, I adore the wizard neck on my 7pbk.

Thanx for the info!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
-Check for cracks: specially in the neck pocket and headstock. Neck joint cracks are NOT always only superficial. See 'All About Evo'!
I'm not sure what you mean by neck pocket, is it the body curves where the neck is attached to the body?

Quote:
-Check neck straightness: you don't need straight edges or something, just look carefully pointing the neck towards light.

-Check EVERY fret, on EVERY string. Play every note on the fretboard and see if there's buzzing.

-Play with the trem: it must have stable tuning (if not, you can fix it by reading here or Ibanez Rules). ANY weird noise is BAD noise.
If there are problems on these points, wouldn't a good service guy be able to repair them?

Quote:
Hope that helps
Sure it did, you're right about the excitement. Hope I don't loose my head over it.

Thanx for the advice, I'll let you know how it turned out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 AM

Check the tech section for the neck stress cracks (or a forum search). It's a common problem on old type neck joints, mostly limited to the paint.

I saw a pic of that Jem, looks a bit faded on the pickups but overall looked good. VDY's are pretty rare here in Holland.

Good luck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn
Check the tech section for the neck stress cracks (or a forum search). It's a common problem on old type neck joints, mostly limited to the paint.
I think I found what you mean at
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/neckjoint.htm.
I don't think I can check whether the wood itself is cracked, though.

Quote:
I saw a pic of that Jem, looks a bit faded on the pickups but overall looked good. VDY's are pretty rare here in Holland.
What do you think about the price (775)? BTW, nice custom jem you have
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:49 AM
ed

I think that is a great price. If that would be in a finnish shop they would probably be asking like 1500 euros.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Oh man, for that money I would almost be able to buy a new 7dbk here (which I would do)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed
I think that is a great price. If that would be in a finnish shop they would probably be asking like 1500 euros.
Well they are asking that much for great condition used VWH in Levytukku so I'd say VDY would be much cheaper. I got my BFP used for 1300€, it was not in a shop but from a guy who works in one.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 02:57 AM

about 8 years ago I bought a used SK. I just jumped right in and bought it. it was only after I had it a few days that I noticed that the neck was dirty, dry, and quite nasty on the back. Made it feel quite sticky. No matter how much I cleaned it, it still had that grubby look to the neck and fingerboard. check out that neck thoroughly, as an old maple fingerboarded Jem is likely to be quite dirty and tired, and that may bother you down the line.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM

Price is great. (if the axe is in fine condition).

I think you can check if the wood is cracked, by removing the neck..
If they are small cracks, then most likly it would be just the paint.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Saw it, liked it, bought it :)

Quote:
Price is great. (if the axe is in fine condition).

I think you can check if the wood is cracked, by removing the neck..
If they are small cracks, then most likly it would be just the paint.
Well, I had to buy it. Paid 750 for it. The guy had it for half a year, never played on it. But its first owner must have used it for quite some years.

The typical cracks in the paint at the neck joint are there (the wood seems fine), along with ALOT of other cracks, scratches and bumps. I was in doubt because of its appearance. But the neck is very playable, clear tone at every position. and most importantly, same feeling as my 7pbk.

Now for some servicing and cleaning and it will be just fine....

One thing though, the 7pbk seems quite a bit heavier (in weight). Am I fooling myself here or does anyone have data on this?

Thanx for the advice and remarks, everyone.

Tags
custom jem , maple fingerboard , neck joint , neck joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode