Des Anyone Else Have This String-Changing Problem????? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Des Anyone Else Have This String-Changing Problem?????

My wife and I have 3 VERY large cats. Male Maine Coon Cats- one is 26Lbs, one is 22 Lbs and the baby is 8Lbs.
Very clean animals and we have the room for them, and they don't smell -we treat them like kids, BUT...................................

I have a studio in the house and about a dozen guitars so I change strings all the time- like every other day I'm changing strings on one of 'em.

The cats go CRAZY when I change strings- like feeding time - they grab the locking nut plates and screws for the neck, they steal strings and RUN, and I mean ALL THREE change their behavior completely when I set a guitar on the 'Tweaking Table'. They paw the strings as I wind them and about half the time they put kinks in the strings and ruin them. They steal my tools! The big one stole a frikin' HAMMER off the bench and ran away with it!!!

I've never seen anything like it and they only do it when I put a guitar on the bench, otherwise they ignore all that stuff as if it wasn't there.

Thry coudn't care less if I'm in the studio for 6 hours, or if I'm working on an amp or piece of studio equipment- only the guitars.......

Anyone else PLAGUED with this??????!!!

-jemaholic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 08:52 AM

Re: Des Anyone Else Have This String-Changing Problem?????

DEFINITELY. I put this on another thread
Quote:
my cat thinks they're tasty. I have to be careful when changing strings in case she pinches one, it'd be like flossing her whole digestive system from one end to the other
I think they must smell nice to cats or something??
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Try rubbing hot sauce all over a set and let them have their way with it. They won't likely do it again. Works for power cords (the electrical kind, not the 3-note kind ), I'd assume it'd be the same, you just have to sacrifice a set.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420 View Post
Try rubbing hot sauce all over a set and let them have their way with it. They won't likely do it again. Works for power cords (the electrical kind, not the 3-note kind ), I'd assume it'd be the same, you just have to sacrifice a set.
A power chord has two notes....
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 AM

From Wikipedia...(under "power chord")

"The term "power chord" is used to refer to a perfect fifth (or its inversion, a perfect fourth), with or without octave doubling, in rock music, especially when played on electric guitar with distortion."

I was referring to the ones played with the octave, but thanks for the attempted correction.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
From Wikipedia...(under "power chord")

"The term "power chord" is used to refer to a perfect fifth (or its inversion, a perfect fourth), with or without octave doubling, in rock music, especially when played on electric guitar with distortion."

I was referring to the ones played with the octave, but thanks for the attempted correction.

Yeah but say you're playing an E5. You have at least one E and a B right? since when does adding an octave of either bring in another note? You're just repeating one you already have.

Same thing, a major arpeggio has only three notes, whether you play the octave of the first or not.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:34 AM

my cat freaks when i break out my guitar and runs away when i plug it in.
i can just picture the battles you have with one sneaking up and stealing something while another gets your attention to distract you.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 AM

I guess I consider the same note an octave higher a seperate note with the same name. Even though they have the same name, they are still two individual notes, they appear in seperate places in standard notation form. But the real question should be do they carry any emotion? (just picking on ya Tom)

Anyway, I would put hot sauce on the strings...
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post
Yeah but say you're playing an E5. You have at least one E and a B right? since when does adding an octave of either bring in another note? You're just repeating one you already have.

Same thing, a major arpeggio has only three notes, whether you play the octave of the first or not.
errrr, wow, who cares?

but yea, my cat goes nuts if he finds me changing strings. if i get him out of the room and close the door, he sits outside in the hallway and cries until im done haha
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
But the real question should be do they carry any emotion? (just picking on ya Tom)
Should we ask the cats?
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:48 AM

Unless it's a cat-weiler. If it is, we should just throw it a rabbit and run
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Actually, I think I have a spare holy hand grenade around here somewhere for those cat-weilers....
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:54 AM

This is a hilarious thread. Life is stranger than fiction for sure. My nemesis "BOB-the CAT" is a theiving bastard when it comes to guitar stings.

What you guys need is a cat slayer.

That's "Oscar de la Doggie" and he plays point, scout, and cat slammer when I change strings now.

The paw on the couch is my cat... Just kidding that's my other dog, but she makes "Yellow Dog" from the movie FUNNY FARM look athletic.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 AM

pull thyne holy pin......
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 AM

This thread is awesome.

Tags
electric guitar , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode