Destroying my JEM - sacriledge...I know! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Destroying my JEM - sacriledge...I know!

Let me start off by saying that this topic could belong in either the off-topic or player/personality forum. I AM going destroy my JEM for two reasons, frustration and artistic (or lack thereof) value. The doomed JEM is a 777DY that was swirled that I got off EBAY (and overpaid for). The guitar has a fatal twist in the neck. My tech had it for over 2 months to try to correct it, but he called no joy:angryfire: . I decided after I picked it up from him that I would light it on fire and then smash it....I know...Jimi Hendrix rip-off.

If I did this in front of a crowd it would have to be a large crowd, and that ain't gonna happen. I was thinking to doing this and being professionally photographed and video taped, for future use and enjoyment.

Do any of you have any off the wall suggestions? If you were as stupid as me, how would you do it?

Let the flames begin! arty:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:44 AM

Destroying my JEM

I would send it someplace coast-to-coast via UPS. *
They'll do a better job of destrying it than you ever could :biggrin:

~K
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:49 AM

Destroying my JEM

Lighting it on fire and smashing it sounds like fun, but I'd take it for a second opinion about that "fatal twist" in the neck. No offense intended to your tech, but I've fixed a lot of neck problems that other people had given up on by planing the fingerboard and re-fretting. If the warp is really bad, you'll end up with the fingerboard thinner on one side than the other and you'll have to deepen the fret slots, but as long as the board is level under the strings, it will play fine. Good luck.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:45 AM

Destroying my JEM

Or...you could just get a new neck, if the original is truly beyond repair. *A bad neck is no reason to trash a usable body.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 11:34 AM

Destroying my JEM

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion. *You sell me the lovely swirled body, with hardware if you like, REAL cheap. I bolt the super clean neck off my 777DY onto it and wake up happy every day after knowing I got a swirl for peanuts. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, you :bash: the nasty faulty neck all you want, cleansing your soiled soul of anger and regret. *There we are. *Both happy.

Gray
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 11:45 AM

Destroying my JEM

chromeboy, i'm with GRAY, I'll take the swirled body off your hands and put a different neck on it. again both happy!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:33 PM

Destroying my JEM

I say, sell me the whole thing cheap!!!! or send me the neck, I know I can fix it, there is no such thing as a fatal twist if you have the knowledge

Either way, if you're set on destroying it, at least pull the trem and electronics and get some money back, but I think it's silly to destroy an entire guitar just because the neck is twisted, you've got a swirl that even with a $60 RG neck would play fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:51 PM
ns9

Destroying my JEM

Hi! If you would consider selling, I may buy- email me. If you absolutely have your set on destroying it, I would suggest a flaming rip. That's when you get a few vehicles, chain each to a different section of the guitar, light the axe on fire, and then tear it apart, dragging the pieces behind each vehicle for a few miles. Very close to letting UPS have at it, but with flames. Fire is good. So very very good.
* Other suggestions would be: Let it float in the ocean off the Jersey shore, and watch it melt from the toxins in the water there; C4: Combine with a Science Fair: have the kids build rockets, and attach them to the guitar; make a fireworks display out of it on 4th of July; chainsaw (and fire); automatic weapons fest; coat it with 'shroom juice, and let everyone have a lick and stare at the swirl- then sell to me ; ask John Woo what he'd do to it; tie it to Jackie Chan during filming; put a blonde wig on it and invite OJ over; dynamite; paint a pic of the pope on it and send to Sinead O'Connor; coat with blood, several pit bulls; affix a Bin Laddin-seeking missle and camera to it; dart board; paint it purple and name it Smoochie-then send to Robin Williams; front bumper in a demolition derby; sword fight; LAW or similar weapon ala The Jackal (Jack Black scene-lol); VERY tall building; L.A.- wrong colors, wrong place, wrong time; ressurect Wendy O and see what she could do; and finally... send to Brittany, N'Synch, Backstreet, etc and let it die from not REALLY being played. Time for more Thorazine... happy time... Nikki
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 02:23 PM

Destroying my JEM

Okay, now I'm scared... * :shocked:
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 03:46 PM

Destroying my JEM

Dude, you've got way to much time!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 04:16 PM

Destroying my JEM

The first part of nikki's suggestion was actually a common way of execution in old times, called 'Drawing and Quartering". *You've porbably heard of this.

The 'authorities', after finding the person guilty, would tie each of the convicted's limbs to four different horses and send them running in any direction.

Whether they set the guy on fire or not, i'm not sure. *Probably wouldn't matter for very long.

~K
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:10 PM

Destroying my JEM

I say take it to that far away place, 50 miles off the coast of Costa Rica, and see what becomes of it in a year!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 03:33 AM

Destroying my JEM

Fatal neck twist or no thte instrument still is worth something.

My suggestion would be to check your home owners insurance and see if the guitar is covered. *Should a little "accident" happen you can repalce the guitar for its value and then destroy it....which would be a good idea legally anyway at that juncture.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 06:32 AM

Destroying my JEM

fire is good.

so very very good...

--c.

Tags
jimi hendrix , swirled body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode