Diablo Swirl Jem - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 AM

Re: Diablo Swirl Jem

WOW, beautiful man!!
congratulations, you must be playing 24h a day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 AM

it looks brilliant!
i hope it sound as good as it looks
congrats!
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM

I really didn't like that red vine at first but the cleaned up/repaired version looks fuggin' killer on the body. Very nice axe!
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:12 PM

that looks awsome. great colour combo! but then i would say that cause heres mine lol:

I sent Herc a complete guitar so didnt have these problems. however i have a body being made and swirled at the moment so i hope its ok.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium View Post
that looks awsome. great colour combo! but then i would say that cause heres mine lol:

I sent Herc a complete guitar so didnt have these problems. however i have a body being made and swirled at the moment so i hope its ok.
Awesome... I probably saw yours on Herc's site and decided that I really wanted to do this colour combination. Hope your new guitar will turn out well. I would just like to warn others of the quality, It seems many do not dare to speak out which is bad for the community. My issue is more or less resolved so I feel it would be good to share the info.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 PM

how much does it cost having your guitar swirled..
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM

i was never a swirl fan, but those colors togeather is probably one of the best looking guitars i've ever sceen. enjoy!
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Rangers158, I'm really glad that you were able to salvage that HORRIBLE job and end up with such an absolutely breathtaking guitar! Your patience is commendable. I don't know how you did it, but it was well worth it in the end. I seriously gasped in appreciation when I saw your end product pictures. Congrats!

I'm curious though...isn't it illegal to like forge Jem bodies and necks and put the Ibanez decal on it? I've seen quite a few people doing these "custom Jems" and I'm wondering how Ibanez doesn't clamp down on it.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Rangers158, I'm really glad that you were able to salvage that HORRIBLE job and end up with such an absolutely breathtaking guitar! Your patience is commendable. I don't know how you did it, but it was well worth it in the end. I seriously gasped in appreciation when I saw your end product pictures. Congrats!

I'm curious though...isn't it illegal to like forge Jem bodies and necks and put the Ibanez decal on it? I've seen quite a few people doing these "custom Jems" and I'm wondering how Ibanez doesn't clamp down on it.
Thanks for your compliments. It sure took lot of patience to do this project. Anyway, not sure on the legality of these custom guitars though...
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers158 View Post
Awesome... I probably saw yours on Herc's site and decided that I really wanted to do this colour combination. Hope your new guitar will turn out well. I would just like to warn others of the quality, It seems many do not dare to speak out which is bad for the community. My issue is more or less resolved so I feel it would be good to share the info.
lol yeah thats mine on his website. I decided not go for the jem style body though knowing id probably do this new project with the grip etc, plus i'd be getting less paint for my money lol j/k
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Reviews: 120

That swirl is the best colour combination I have seen, it is so hot with the white pickups and black hardware.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Reviews: 26

thats one killer guitar u got there mate.. cool
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM

Man. Not sure how I feel about this. I ordered my full custom from Herc back around October 18th of last year. Delivery day will probably be sometime next week (though that keeps getting pushed back). I have pretty darn high standards myself so I'm a little bummed after seeing this post. Your end result is freaking awesome and I bet you will not regret having that guitar even though the extra work had to be done. That swirl is very very nice and the clear coating, inlay, and pickguard are very nice and look to be well executed from the pics.

However, I fully agree that only a basic setup should be needed. That's all that's ever needed on a new guitar really other than personal preference items.

I was planning on doing the assembly and wiring on mine myself to save some money and get it up and running. But the frets not being parallel is a HUGE freaking deal. How in the #@%% can anyone play in tune with frets out of square with the neck??!! Is it even possible to play a chord in tune on a neck like that?! I doubt it. That is most assuredly unacceptable. Just no excuse in the world for that PERIOD, EVER. Anyone with a carpenter's square should have no trouble getting frets in the correct alignment. I expected there to be things on mine that are imperfect that I hadn't thought of, ...but that's just wrong. The fret slots being cut too deep is weird as well. I mean, I could live with it, but what's the point in cutting them that deep to begin with? Is it amateur hour or something? It wouldn't be hard for even a beginning wood worker to set up a jig with a circular saw to cut those fret slots to the proper depth. Looks like a rushed job to me or like someone who doesn't take pride in their work produced it. I understand some dimension variances in the neck and body and expect that. Partly for legal considerations to keep them out of trouble and also because it isn't manufactured on a line. I did expect the body and neck to be CNC. This is bothering me, even though I love your end result. My luthier is very freaking expensive but he's basicly the best and serves some pretty darn big name customers because of his reputation, so I'm not looking forward to spending big money with him to fix my neck. Hopefully this was an exception rather than the regular production quality.
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Re: Diablo Swirl Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Man. Not sure how I feel about this. I ordered my full custom from Herc back around October 18th of last year. Delivery day will probably be sometime next week (though that keeps getting pushed back). I have pretty darn high standards myself so I'm a little bummed after seeing this post. Your end result is freaking awesome and I bet you will not regret having that guitar even though the extra work had to be done. That swirl is very very nice and the clear coating, inlay, and pickguard are very nice and look to be well executed from the pics.

However, I fully agree that only a basic setup should be needed. That's all that's ever needed on a new guitar really other than personal preference items.

I was planning on doing the assembly and wiring on mine myself to save some money and get it up and running. But the frets not being parallel is a HUGE freaking deal. How in the #@%% can anyone play in tune with frets out of square with the neck??!! Is it even possible to play a chord in tune on a neck like that?! I doubt it. That is most assuredly unacceptable. Just no excuse in the world for that PERIOD, EVER. Anyone with a carpenter's square should have no trouble getting frets in the correct alignment. I expected there to be things on mine that are imperfect that I hadn't thought of, ...but that's just wrong. The fret slots being cut too deep is weird as well. I mean, I could live with it, but what's the point in cutting them that deep to begin with? Is it amateur hour or something? It wouldn't be hard for even a beginning wood worker to set up a jig with a circular saw to cut those fret slots to the proper depth. Looks like a rushed job to me or like someone who doesn't take pride in their work produced it. I understand some dimension variances in the neck and body and expect that. Partly for legal considerations to keep them out of trouble and also because it isn't manufactured on a line. I did expect the body and neck to be CNC. This is bothering me, even though I love your end result. My luthier is very freaking expensive but he's basicly the best and serves some pretty darn big name customers because of his reputation, so I'm not looking forward to spending big money with him to fix my neck. Hopefully this was an exception rather than the regular production quality.
Herc's swirl and finish is top class but the parts he used are not meeting the min expectation of the customer. It does not matter whether he is the one making the body, since he is the one offering it, I think he should still stand behind his product. If you see such quality, I would immediately stop offering new necks at least. And if customer is not happy because of this, he should do something about it rather than tell the customer its the norm and the customer is expecting too much.

From what I see, he must have taken too many orders and have problems fulfilling them, just like Chris Woods... Thats why it took so much longer than promised. Nevertheless, I am just glad I did not have to end up with a lemon...

Hope yours turn out fine. Keep us updated of your project...
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 01:55 AM

WEll looks like you got it worked out and you've got one gorgeous guitar!

Tags
beautiful guitar , chris woods , clear coat , cottam guitars , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom necks , custom shop , fede swirl , guitar body , herc fede , herc fede swirl , jem style body , killer guitar , local luthier , locking stud , locking studs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode