Diablo Swirl Jem - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 AM

Re: Diablo Swirl Jem

Shame about the neck etc when you first got it, but damn he is good at swirls, no bleed into the whites what so ever.

Thats like sanitariums RG he had done, looks fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Shame about the neck etc when you first got it, but damn he is good at swirls, no bleed into the whites what so ever.

Thats like sanitariums RG he had done, looks fantastic.
Yes the swirl is excellent, but the neck job was awful and being told he was just fussy, takes the piss if you ask me.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_and_Warfare View Post
Yes the swirl is excellent, but the neck job was awful and being told he was just fussy, takes the piss if you ask me.
Definitely. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come..
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers158 View Post
Herc's swirl and finish is top class but the parts he used are not meeting the min expectation of the customer. It does not matter whether he is the one making the body, since he is the one offering it, I think he should still stand behind his product. If you see such quality, I would immediately stop offering new necks at least. And if customer is not happy because of this, he should do something about it rather than tell the customer its the norm and the customer is expecting too much.

From what I see, he must have taken too many orders and have problems fulfilling them, just like Chris Woods... Thats why it took so much longer than promised. Nevertheless, I am just glad I did not have to end up with a lemon...

Hope yours turn out fine. Keep us updated of your project...
I am in the same boat as you are. I sent him a body and neck so Im hoping everything should be ok, but in the neck im getting a vine inlay and im worried that something will get messed up. Also they told me 9-12 weeks for the swirl and I just got an email saying that all they've done is sanded the body. This is now going into the 15th week. I know his swirls are fantastic but the time frame is nuts!
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractionallz View Post
I am in the same boat as you are. I sent him a body and neck so Im hoping everything should be ok, but in the neck im getting a vine inlay and im worried that something will get messed up. Also they told me 9-12 weeks for the swirl and I just got an email saying that all they've done is sanded the body. This is now going into the 15th week. I know his swirls are fantastic but the time frame is nuts!
I have heard that before from a few other customers now, that sort of thing seems to becoming quite typical of Herc now. Don't get me wrong though, I mean I would love to have a Herc Fede swirl, but I just would not want to wait a year for a swirl and end with a neck like that guy who started this thread. I am hoping Max at Cottam Guitars(Vendor Above) has a few nice Fede swirls coming in though.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Well, as far as the time frame, ...I was told 12-14 weeks. It's been since October 19th or 18th. You calculate the time. Honestly, I have had excellent communication with Herc and have been satisfied with some of the reasons for the delays. However, I think they need to seriously take a look at their workflow process. I agree with the supply issue. If I was supplying parts that someone else is making, ...no way would I send out sub-excellent parts, ..just no way. If this doesn't get addressed it will ultimately kill his business unless people only want them for wall mounting as art. I mean, luthiers all over the world make custom necks that are great. It's not like it's impossible. I'll let you know the results when I get mine back.
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Stunning.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 AM

He may take a while but you look at any custom guitar work and it always takes much longer than they say it will, it isnt just herc and I very much doubt it would force him out of buisness.
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 PM

If you're referring to my post, please read it more carefully.

It was not a reference to the time frame of delivery.

Custom work does take a long time. I have had custom work done by others in the past and they took a long time as well.

As I said, hopefully this example was just a fluke and not the standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium View Post
He may take a while but you look at any custom guitar work and it always takes much longer than they say it will, it isnt just herc and I very much doubt it would force him out of buisness.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM

awesome thats the best guitar i've ever seen
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers158 View Post
Moody! Great Guitar!
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM

Did he shave any off of the back of the neck for a better profile?
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 AM

wait a sec...this thread is nearly 2 years old...
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 AM

Great Swirl -abominable fretboard ...as Vic the Brick would say EEEEYOIKES

Tags
beautiful guitar , chris woods , clear coat , cottam guitars , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom necks , custom shop , fede swirl , guitar body , herc fede , herc fede swirl , jem style body , killer guitar , local luthier , locking stud , locking studs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in