Diablo Swirl Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Diablo Swirl Jem

Just managed to complete this project. It looks really nice but I went through quite a lot of time and effort to get it completed. Anyway, would just like to share with you guys on Herc's body, neck and swirl. I managed to get a deal on **** about 10 months ago from Herc on a guitar body and neck with a swirl finish. The estimated time was 10 weeks. It took about 8 months to finish and delivered. Before he sent over the body and neck, the pictures looked great and communication was ok during the whole time. But once I got the items, I am sorely disappointed by the neck. The body was ok but it cannot match factory specs (maybe I am too demanding, but I thought these things are made by CNC these days). Anyway, see the pics of the neck.

Frets are not parallel.

The fret slots are cut too deep and frets not dressed and attached properly. Workmanship is really poor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Re: Diablo Swirl Jem

Check out the leftover glue on the frets.

And the crappy little piece of wood shim for the nut.

The fingerboard is too thick as well. The neck has more of a C-profile than an ibanez D-profile. So I am clearly disappointed when I thought I can just assemble it without much fuss after getting it.

I know Herc did not make the parts but I really thought the body and especially the neck will be more well-made. The swirl is great and Herc is probably the best out there right now. When I contact Herc on this, his reaction was that no others complained about the quality of the guitar and that I am fussy. After some pressing he offered to give me a new neck or send him a neck for swirling of the headstock with some top-up of course. After getting such quality, I do not think I am going to risk waiting another 6 months for a neck... So I took it to my local luthier and see what I can do with it.

The final solution is to do a refret, filling and recutting the slots. In the end I spent more money but I have a better feeling I will actually see it becoming a guitar finally. So after some waiting for the pickups and parts, the guitar is ready.

The moral of the story: HERC does great swirls BUT you have to wait a LONG time and the quality of the body and neck is something less than desired. Unless he changes his suppliers, do not get his body and neck... Be warned...

The luthier who did my guitar was great the pics showed the frets and and slots are done properly this time round. Here's the pics...

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Holy sweet mother! That is a beautiful guitar! I envy you.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!! Who did the pickguard?
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Simply amazing!! I can't wait until I get my Herc Fede swirl back, but damn does it take a long ass time. I'm sure it will be worth the wait, though. That is a sweet swirl man, very nice!
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 PM

nice work - you're a lucky man!!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioplayer View Post
Absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!! Who did the pickguard?
aiguitars from the bay. A little thicker than factory though but its cheap and good.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
HDS

Your luthier did a great job fixing it!
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM

WOW that guitar is very nice! just awesome, i carnt belive it was sent to you like that, shoddy man, good job you got it fixed up though, nice!
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Wow, that looks amazing!
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Reviews: 1

Hey man nice swirl.... did you include the locking studs??
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

love it!!!
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 PM

Killer dude

Tags
beautiful guitar , chris woods , clear coat , cottam guitars , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom jem , custom necks , custom shop , fede swirl , guitar body , herc fede , herc fede swirl , jem style body , killer guitar , local luthier , locking stud , locking studs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in