difference between jem's - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

difference between jem's

A friend of mine owns 3 Jems, the floral patter, loch ness green and a jem7v white. Just wondering what makes the jem7 sound so much darker, muddyier. Don't all the jem use the same pickups?

Last edited by jcmix; 02-18-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Re: difference between jem's

Not sure what pups are in those, but I know that both Evolutions and Breed are used on JEM's. It could be different woods also.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Different wood in body and different pickups.
Basswood (FP/LNG) vs Alder (VWH).
PAF Pro (FP/LNG) vs Evolution (VWH).
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmix View Post
A friend of mine owns 3 Jems, the floral patter, loch ness green and a jem7v white. Just wondering what makes the jem7 sound so much darker, muddyier. Don't all the jem use the same pickups?
What do you mean? All JEM7 sound muddier in comparison to other guitars? Or the floral, LNG and 7v sounded different to each other?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

the jem 7 sounds muddy compared to the fp and the lg. I'm asking this for 2 reasons. One i'm helping him build is own "custom Jem", and Two because he dosn't want the custom to sound muddy.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Well.... It's funny that the jem7v is muddy, but evolutions are dark even though they are harsh but no where near muddy. Hmmmm......
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM

Reviews: 1

The Alder body on the 7V will be slightly darker, but the big difference in tone would be the PAF Pros' in the older FP and LNG Jems. They are not as heavily wound as the Evolutions.

I also personally believe the original neck joint has a different tone than the AANJ on the 7V and transfers string energy differently.

~j
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM

They aren't as heavily wounded as the tone zone, but I always thought the tone zone is a bit brighter, might be the ceramic magnet.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Of all of the 7vwh's I've played, they've sounded much brighter to me, not muddy at all.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I thought about the neck joint too. Even when the guitar is not plugged into the amp the jem7 is a barker sounding guitar. We compared my RG770 with the fp and lg an its sounds about the same , unplugged. Must be the different body wood.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM

When I first got my VWH I was a little surprised at how brittle it sounded....then I got a DBK and then a FP....I think I have become used to the VWH now, because now, I dont hear the harshness that I had heard before...I hear clarity...the DBK sounds warmer, not as clear....and the FP....just doesn't do much for me at all...I put a tone zone in the bridge of the FP and that helped a little, but it still doesn't sound inspiring to me....I might try an EVO2 in the floral and either a Breed or Evolution in the neck.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM

The neck wood has a lot to do with it as well. Maple is usually brighter as a rule. But not in every case.
FWIW, my 7VWH sounds clear as a bell, not muddy.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 34

It's the evos more than anything imho.

I have evos in basswood and paduak, and paf pros in alder and basswood. I am pretty sure most of it is done to pu's.

Whay kind of amp are they going through? Evos don't give their best through transistor amps.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm a newbie here but I've spent a lot of time around guitars.....too much really.

There are a number of differences for the tone differences you are hearing.
But it's really a fact that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

A rosewood board will sound darker than Maple or ebony (first 7wh's)
Maple is actually not as bright as people think. It's actually finished maple that gives off that super bright top end. un-laquered it actually has more of a midrange thing going on.

I have always found alder a touch brighter than basswood but it also has more of a low-mid emphasis. Which is probably why Vai likes it.

I'd bet the Evo's are the issue. They are unusual pickups. Steve Vai told Steve Blucher at dimarzio that he was trying to make a Jem that sounded more like a Les Paul. This was AFTER like a million prototypes....Steve was like.....Why didn't you tel me that to begin with?? LOL

Any way,
I was revently at a Sam Ash and I played a Universe and the two New Jems. I felt the Universe with the Blaze pickups had much more top end and the old Jem sound, that I like.

I couldn't bond with either of the new Jems. The both seemed fat and dark in comparison...I believe the only thing they'd have in common is the pickups....

FWIW
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrischmann View Post
I'm a newbie here but I've spent a lot of time around guitars.....too much really.

I'd bet the Evo's are the issue. They are unusual pickups. Steve Vai told Steve Blucher at dimarzio that he was trying to make a Jem that sounded more like a Les Paul. This was AFTER like a million prototypes....Steve was like.....Why didn't you tel me that to begin with?? LOL

FWIW
Are you sure about that? IMO Evo's are like the polar opposite of a LP sound.

Tags
jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode