Difference original and replica? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Pox

Difference original and replica?

Is there any difference with the good Jem custom made replicas likes EKG, Sims and those guys (by the way not CHINESE REPLICAS) with the original Ibanez Jems? Just kind of curious because nowadays I can see loads of people are getting Jem customly made from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 PM

Re: Difference original and replica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox View Post
Is there any difference with the good Jem custom made replicas likes EKG, Sims and those guys (by the way not CHINESE REPLICAS) with the original Ibanez Jems? Just kind of curious because nowadays I can see loads of people are getting Jem customly made from them.
When you say "original" ibanez jems, I assume you're talking about the MIJ ones that were the models starting in '87.

Custom ones from SIMS etc are just that, custom. If you like the appointments on the Jems, but would rather have, oh say a synth pickup or killswitch or a finish that isn't available, you could go to those shops. The Jem is the big superstrat design where you could go to these places, say "make me a guitar, jem-style, but with this...etc." and they'll be able to keep everything about a jem that you like, but with added/changed stuff to personalize it.

If you like the Jem just the way it is, then go for a production model. If you have the extra cash and would like something a little more different, customs are the way to go. They're both excellent, just for different purposes.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 PM

biggest difference is that you can go to a store right now and pick up your jem, versus waiting god knows how long to have your emails responded to, let alone have one made.

other than that, there's nothing about the original that can't be replicated, excepting resale value.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 07:38 PM

well for starters custom ones would generally have higher quality just based on the fact that each one is meticulously hand made one at a time by 1 person (except most bodies and necks start out on a CNC, which is far beyond human accuracy so thats a good thing), where as production jems and any other main production Ibanez's (not counting J-custom or LACS) are churned out by the dozens if not hundreds on a daily basis in a factory/Assembly-line setting. Plus with a custom, its just that, custom to every aspect that you want.

Of course this isn't saying that theres a lack of quality or anything at Ibanez, but errors can slip out a lot easier...(just ask Rich!)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 AM

Often it might even work out cheaper to get a custom made Jem that buying one and customising it, espcially if you want to make big changes such as the colour, routing or custom inlays.

Its just a matter of getting what you want instead of having a stock Ibanez.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM

Well said
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
well for starters custom ones would generally have higher quality just based on the fact that each one is meticulously hand made one at a time by 1 person (except most bodies and necks start out on a CNC, which is far beyond human accuracy so thats a good thing), where as production jems and any other main production Ibanez's (not counting J-custom or LACS) are churned out by the dozens if not hundreds on a daily basis in a factory/Assembly-line setting. Plus with a custom, its just that, custom to every aspect that you want.

Of course this isn't saying that theres a lack of quality or anything at Ibanez, but errors can slip out a lot easier...(just ask Rich!)
BUT... you have to make sure you're going with a decent builder or you might not even get a functional instrument (some "luthiers" might not produce anything better than a cheap Chinabez knockoff)

AND... you have to make sure you're going with the right builder for you. Otherwise you might not get the guitar you're really after, but the builders slant on what he THINKS you want, or should want.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM

i second what everyone else has said. i got a custom rg made because ibanez didn't offer exactly what i wanted. i got an exotic wood (paduak), fixed hardtail bridge along with my preferred pickup configuration. because the paduak is such a beautiful wood, i didn't need to have it painted or even clearcoated, which cut down on the cost substantially. that custom guitar cost me way less than a production model (even with the custom made paduak warmoth neck) and the quality is as good or better.

that being said, i have several ibanezes that fit me to a T and i'll continue playing them. i guess i just wanted a variation that was 'me'. closest i'll ever come to having a signature model
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Pox

Thanks guys. By the way, I have been searching around for some good builders and I came across Cottam Guitars. Are they alright? It seems his quite good at making custom swirls and guitar
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
BUT... you have to make sure you're going with a decent builder or you might not even get a functional instrument (some "luthiers" might not produce anything better than a cheap Chinabez knockoff)

AND... you have to make sure you're going with the right builder for you. Otherwise you might not get the guitar you're really after, but the builders slant on what he THINKS you want, or should want.
I think thats a no brainer.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 PM

I don’t know how “custom” a body swap is, but that is what I did. I bought two complete guitars and sold off what I did not want and had two alder bodies cut for me. Even with paint and set up, I will have less than what it cost for a used JEM, and they will be the way I want them.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM

As a builder, I can tell you that the reason I started doing it was because I wanted options that Ibanez simply didn't offer i.e. Pick up configs, etc.

I can tell you that the quality will most times be better from a custom builder. The tone will be somewhere around 1,837,218 times better than an original because most custom builders would never use Basswood (I know 7VWH is alder, exception to the rule). Basswood sucks! Period. Mass production companies a.k.a. Ibanez use it because it CHEAP, as in ALL MOST FREE! Alder is about the best middle of the road grade. Mohagany, Maple, exotics, are so much better, but they aren't cost effective for big companies, and they are much harder on tools. Again, not cost effective.

Some people have said that customs are more, but like mine for instance start around $850. You can't get a used Jem for that price.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck and ROCK ON!!!

The Legacy
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegacy View Post
The tone will be somewhere around 1,837,218 times better than an original because most custom builders would never use Basswood (I know 7VWH is alder, exception to the rule). Basswood sucks!
I really like Basswood. Its not overly bright like alder, and its has a nice lower end and smooth midrange. I like the weight of it too.

I would be tempted to give a mix of mahogany and alder a go for next guitar, or maybe a maple top, but i couldnt cope with a really heavy guitar.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I like basswood too, it's particularly good at higher volumes where it settles things down nicely
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegacy View Post
As a builder, I can tell you that the reason I started doing it was because I wanted options that Ibanez simply didn't offer i.e. Pick up configs, etc.

I can tell you that the quality will most times be better from a custom builder. The tone will be somewhere around 1,837,218 times better than an original because most custom builders would never use Basswood (I know 7VWH is alder, exception to the rule). Basswood sucks! Period. Mass production companies a.k.a. Ibanez use it because it CHEAP, as in ALL MOST FREE! Alder is about the best middle of the road grade. Mohagany, Maple, exotics, are so much better, but they aren't cost effective for big companies, and they are much harder on tools. Again, not cost effective.

Some people have said that customs are more, but like mine for instance start around $850. You can't get a used Jem for that price.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck and ROCK ON!!!

The Legacy
Basswood sucks so bad 90% of shredders prefer it. Must be because their guitars are so cheap? Actually it's BECAUSE of it's tone and weight. Ibanez uses it for their shredder guitars because that's the prefference, but of course they also use mahogany and have used alder and ash also. And news flash, basswood may be a little less expensive, but cheap it is not.

A custom is only as good as the guy building it, period. He may have the best cnc running the most perfect program but if he can't do fretwork or 100 or the other little mudane things it takes to build a good guitar, crap will be the result.

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , cottam guitars , custom guitar , custom inlays , custom swirl , hardtail bridge , ibanez jem , jem custom , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , production model , quilted maple , sounding guitar , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode