Different Hardware on new 7vwh? - ...another inane question. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Different Hardware on new 7vwh? - ...another inane question.

I was in Sam Ash yesterday - the one where I got my UV. *They've had a new UV on the wall since I got mine, but for the first time yesterday, they had a 7vwh.

I asked the salesperson if it was from the new line or if it was just stock - hje said it was the new line.

To me the gold hardware had more of a bronze/copper tone to it - it wasn't as bright (didn't look as nice).

I could be nuts - it's been a while since I've seen a 7vwh, so maybe my memory could be failing me, I remembered it being more gold...Has anyone seen the new line that can confirm this?

Thanks for answering my important question.
~k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 03:07 PM

Different Hardware on new 7vwh?

the '00 jem i bought (well, i'd bought a '99 off the floor at guitar center, but seeing as it was chipped in two places, they agreed to order a new one for me and let me play the floor model 'til it came it, so well, that took 6 months) had an unfinished neck and a MUCH stronger sounding middle pickup than the '99.
hardware looked brighter gold, if at all.

~A
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 03:13 PM

I wish they would plate it with some kind of fake gold. Stuff that looks real but won't pit, or can take a lot more abuse before pitting. To me, that would be better than real gold.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 10:24 PM

Arnt all jem, and UV necks set with a matte finish on the neck rather than unfinished. I have a 2027, and a 2020 that have a matte finish. They feel a lot different than my Rg7621 that I made have an unfinished neck. I didnt think they changed the pickups either, but hey Im no Jem athority.

buzz
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 12:15 AM

Reviews: 5

well, here's the deal. *While all JEMs currently produced are made with satin finish instead of the nitrocellulous that is glossy but sticky, the difference in feel is probably a quality control issue. *Some models get numerous coats while it seems some barely get any laquer at all. *
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 03:52 AM

actually, this neck was *ever* so rough to the touch initially.. feel of wood shavings. *that went away after a bit of playing, though.. if this neck had any kinda finish on it, then my username ain't anuj
this felt excatly as finished as a jem10th neck

and re: the pickup, i played 'em side by side with near identical setup, and the difference in the strength of the single coil seemed more than just either a pickup height or an individual quirk issue.

oh well, just me us$2e-02

~A
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

My '99 UV seemed to be bare of finish too....it was slightly used but the previous owner didn't seem to make any other mods, so why would he sand the neck?

Anuj, if you got a JEM with a good middle p'up, god bless ya! *That's the JEM's (and most Ibanezes biggest downside, IMHO. *

Enjoy it!
~Kenny
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 08:08 PM

oh i am - a LOT

~A
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 09:47 PM

Reviews: 5

anuj, in terms of the middle pickup sounding different, maybe one just got a better soldering job? *I know in the old days, pickups would often sound hotter than others due to the machines overwinding them at the factories (this is the explanation Fender offers for SRV's sound), but new string winding machines are much more exact. *In my opinion, you got a better wiring job or possibly better shielding. *In terms of the neck, there's always that possibility that yours somehow escaped being lacquered, but I'm more inclined to believe the it received an ultra light coat or was just sanded very well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 12:11 AM

hehe, you just gotta play it to believe it

i guess i got really lucky wrt the neck+pickups

~A

Tags
pickup height , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode