Different pickups on a JS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Different pickups on a JS

I've had my JS1000 for a while now and I've played it through my Fender Twin, Laney GH100L, and some various assorted overdrive pedals.....and after some time now I find that I really like the PAF PRO and the FREd, but they just dont seem a tad weak.

Anybody swap out their JS pickusp for something else? What did you guys use and what kind of results are you getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 11:37 AM

mmmh... might want to move them a bit closer to the strings?

only way to getting more power to your js would be using active pickups, but i don't know of anyone who did this to a js!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

The pickups are plenty close. These PAF PRO / FRED pickups really aren't all that hot for a passive pickup. I'm sure there are others out there with a bit more kick.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:17 AM

i've got duncan PA-TB2b's in my JS1 and JS6.. actually it's my favoite pickup at the moment and it's in everything i own...

very detailed with insane output.

i've been checking out the specs on the duncan invader as well though.. don't know about that one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volthause
i've got duncan PA-TB2b's in my JS1 and JS6.. actually it's my favoite pickup at the moment and it's in everything i own...

very detailed with insane output.

i've been checking out the specs on the duncan invader as well though.. don't know about that one.
I've heard lots of people complain abut feedback problems with the Invader, it's just too hot. As for the FRED, it's got Joe stamped all over it, definitely his signature sound. A SD Full Shred might be a good replacement if you want more power.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 01:29 AM

The output isn't the Inavader's feedback problem. It's the midrange. It's boosted alot through the middle of the EQ curve, and it just happens to be a very feedback-prone set of frequencies. Obviously, playing with it and learning to mute at high volumes is part of learning to play. But the Invader is definitely an interesting pickup if you just wanna slam out some loud stuff. Played clean, it's kinda dull...sorta honky to me.

You'll find the same thing in some active systems. The EMG 81 and 85 are actually very similar in terms of output voltage. But the 85 sounds fatter, and louder because of the extra midrange frequencies. That's why lotsa people like it as a neck pickup, while the 81's scopped out freqs make a nice bridge pickup (Zakk Wylde anyone?). That said, Steve Lukather loves the 85 in the bridge...so anything's possible...lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 03:42 PM

If you like the tone of the stock Dimarzios, then you may get more mileage for less money by putting in an active boost module. Either from EMG or Bartolini. If you didn't want to add a switch to turn it on, you could forego the hi-pass filter on the volume knob in favor of the boost. You also could just get Seymour Duncan's line driver pedal. I think its called a pickup driver or booster. Whatever it's called it might do the trick for you. MXR made some kind of line booster, too. Then you'd have the best of both worlds, but you'd also know if the output is your only problem, or if you also want more mids/highs etc. Then you'd have a better idea which pickups to get.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 PM

I have Dimarzio Breeds in my JS1000 and love them. Nice high output, really clear, nice tone. Great pickups.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
I have Dimarzio Breeds in my JS1000 and love them. Nice high output, really clear, nice tone. Great pickups.
Tell us more about it, please!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 01:30 AM

They have a really nice boosted Paf Pro based tone. So really transparent and hot and beefy. Lots of harmonics on all strings (yes even the lower ones) and nice harmonic overtones all over the place. Neck pickup sings too. Good range for solo work to classic rock/metal/blues. Great set of pickups. Very versatile. I highly recomend them for any basswood guitar.

Tags
basswood guitar , bridge pickup , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , duncan invader , fender twin , neck pickup , overdrive pedal , paf pro , seymour duncan , steve lukather , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode