Dilemma...should I swap? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Dilemma...should I swap?

Right, here goes,

I have my Jem, which I love playing every so often, but there in lies the problem. Ever since I've got my UV's I've almost exclusively been playing them. I can pick up the Jem or any other 6 I have and play it, and it's fun, but I always end up picking up a UV later on. I also seem to have failed to emotionally attach myself to the guitar. Everything else has it's own character, it's own history and a reason I can't get rid of it. The Jem, despite being the one that's easiest to play and has the nicest neck just hasn't. To me it just sounds clinical and, well, a bit sterile dare I say it

I've had the Jem for about a year now, and yes, the neck has faded a bit, so it's not mint (how could you not play this guitar ? So.... Maybe I haven't given myself enough attachment time?

maybe it's the pickups? Maybe it's lack of customisation? I don't know, but it any case, I am now thinking of selling it or trading it to sponsor a 2027, something I am drooling after. Now I've only once got rid of a guitar, and that was due to it being a bit crap (a squire with a neck covered in a substance I can only describe as glue...), so it is a bit daunting and a bit weird...

That, and there's no gaurantee that what I'll get will be something I like as much, but if it's a 2027 it will get used and played more... But I do not have another Jem...

Anyone done this or gone through it?

Blasphemy or common sense?

In short, what are your opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:14 AM

sell a kidney buy a 2027
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
sell a kidney buy a 2027

Any takers?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:33 AM

My perspective is that loving guitars is like loving women, it doesn't hardly ever make sense. Trust your gut is my best advice.

Or you could say "If you love something, set it free!" Who knows, maybe someone who really desires a JEM and could only afford a used one would be ecstatic about finally owning one.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
sell a kidney buy a 2027

Any takers?
not me!

I know where those kidneys have been!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:47 AM

Simon - you're hardly convincing me to come to Jemfest UK this year.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I tend to look at my guitars in two camps, the guitars that are MINE, and those that I just happen to own, almost like Rich's inventory and his collection I guess just not as many or as fun .

If you aren't attached to the JEM, then let it go, it's just taking up space and money that you could put into something you would play and would enjoy owning.

If you want to test yourself on how attached you are to your JEM, stick an advert in the "Guitarist" classifieds. When people phone up with offers, you'll either think "Yeah great, I can get my RG2027 now" or "Aaaaaaaaaargh !!! no I can't sell my baby!!! " (then you just lie and say "sorry mate, I sold it a few days ago" )

If you regret selling it after it's gone, just make sure you keep a track of who it goes to and then pester them to sell it back to you if you miss it too much
jono is online  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foureyezonme
Simon - you're hardly convincing me to come to Jemfest UK this year.
how come?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 11:17 AM

Since you are concidering selling the JEM, means that you can probably part with it without too much pain. I mean, if you were really attached to the guitar, you wouln't even concider it, right? So go with the 2027!

Good luck!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 11:38 AM

Simon - sorry... for somebody who does human physiology as part of my degree, I should have known that alcohol gets the liver, not the kidneys.

Doh!

Nick
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:05 PM

trade it right away! if you're a player not a collector, get something you'll play.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Not to scare anyone, but it's been well documented on this site about some people suffering wrist pains when playing 7's.
Obviously it only affects a few people and you will probably never have any problems, but it's always good to have a 6 lying around in case you ever need a break from the 7's if you ask me.

Maybe you could sell it and still get that 2027 + an Argos Catalogue special 6 string Encore

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode