Dimarzio (Blaze) Experts: Qs on Kent Armstrong "reworked" pickups? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio (Blaze) Experts: Qs on Kent Armstrong "reworked" pickups?

I'll put this here since it's about UV Blaze pickups, but if this belongs somewhere else, sorry!

I pickup an H-S-H set of green bobbin, brass bottom Blaze pickups as part of a deal. I was told they came out of an old Universe, which seems right. Dunno where else they would have come from, and they came with a Cosmo Chrome Lo Pro Edge 7, so this seems right. The seller said that the bridge pickup was amazing/killer/etc. etc. but I just thought "whatever, it's a Blaze." Turns out all of the pickups have a sticker like this on the bottom:

I Googled for info on Kent Armstrong reworks/reworked, but can't find anything. Anyone have any info? Unfortunately I haven't installed these in a guitar yet. I don't have anywhere for them to go at the moment... I don't have any resistances measurements either, unfortunately. They're still installed in a junker parts guitar for now.

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me, and I just pulled them out.

Blaze Neck: 16.20 kohms (stock claims 15.
Blaze Middle: 12.00 kohms (stock claims 13.46)
Blaze Bridge: 17.86 kohms (stock claims 20.75)

Next question. I pulled this out of an Aria Pro STG-7 string. It LOOKS so much like a Blaze neck, down to the patent sticker and the N1 marking (it came with black poles, but this pick was half-way through replacing those with chrome poles). But no Dimarzio logo on the baseplate. Any ideas? It measures ~16 k ohms resistance, which is pretty close to what a Blaze Neck would be. I set it side-by-side with another Blaze neck, and the coils are the same thickness/height.

Any info would be appreciated! Basically just curious about these pickups.

Last edited by cardinal; 02-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dimarzio (Blaze) Experts: Qs on Kent Armstrong "reworked" pickups?

Alright pickup nerds. Kent Armstrong explained some of the markings. The Blazes were rewound with .05 gauge wire (44 AWG?) to a specific number of kilo turns. Based on the stickers, the Bridge was wound to 6,500 turns; the middle to 7,500 turns; and the neck to 6,000 turns.

The Dimarzio website says the Blaze neck and bridge are covered by patent no. 4,501,185, which is for humbuckers with coils wound with different gauge wire. So I guess Kent Armstrong undid that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode