Dings in JEM7V - Keep it for $200 off - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Dings in JEM7VP - Keep it for $200 off

I just got a JEM7VP new ($1600 @ 0% 18 mo.), and it has a few dings in it (top, side, jack - typical I know). The merchant offered me $200 off. I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it for $200 off. Any thoughts yea or nay? I think my tech would fix these issues for way less and otherwise this is a great guitar (not sure if I should risk rolling the dice again). Thanks!

(Not sure if images are showing up: top crack/dent on edge is 1/2", side crack on bottom is 1.25", jack has small discoloration from a drop (typical I know!).

Last edited by zvsmedia; 08-07-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Vendor

Re: Dings in JEM7V - Keep it for $200 off

You got a 7VP, there is a major difference.

You could get a perfect one for that fully setup, just no financing, before damage discount.

Only you can decide the value of the issues, there are no pics showing but I've rejected plenty like it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Oops, typing faster than my brain was working; I'll take all of the 7V's I can get at that price. Yeah, it's the financing that's the the only thing stopping me from going a different route. I'm really good at setup and minor repairs (most techs wouldn't get as aggressive on action as I do anyway), which is necessary since I live in AZ where no out of state setup/fret end trim survives the dryness (perk: the necks settle down fast).

The impression I get is that people have to go through 3 it more of these from "average" retailers before they get a good one (granted, people exaggerate a lot online). Since this one plays so very nicely, I'm hesitant to take chances...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Vendor

You would normally get 1 in 3 that was cosmetically right, [on the JEM, less on anything else] and still need technical attention, like the last one I accepted with horrid string alignment but I've done so many neck pocket jobs on Premiums getting a great neck and no cosmetic issues was more important.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks; that's super helpful. This one has one of the best necks I've ever played (on any brand) so I'll really have to think hard about this!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Vendor

The 7VP necks have all been pretty consistent good with good fret ends and minimal if any tool marks. Cosmetics are still the plague of Indo with the expected technical fixes, high nuts without shims, neck pocket alignment, radius mismatch, etc.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The 7VP necks have all been pretty consistent good with good fret ends and minimal if any tool marks. Cosmetics are still the plague of Indo with the expected technical fixes, high nuts without shims, neck pocket alignment, radius mismatch, etc.
This is why buying from an experienced dealer who actually cares about and understands the guitars hes selling is so important.

A proper dealer will fix the technical problems, making the guitar better than brand new out of the box. By checking them pre-inventory, Rich ensures that the cosmetics will have taken care of themselves.

I holeheartedly recommend returning your 200 bucks damaged dealer special, and getting a race-tuned version from Rich.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:04 AM
Vendor

Interest free financing is a tough hurdle to give up for anybody. Bottom line money talks, but below that line is, nobody that ever paid more for a true instrument ever regretted it long after the purchase.

Tags
7vp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode