DIY 777 DY - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

9Likes
  • 9 Post By tigeryear74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

DIY 777 DY

So back in 1990 when I was around 16 years old, I set out to buy my first "real" guitar and took my mother's boyfriend with me to the guitar store in town. He was a cool dude who played guitar in a band who showed me a lot of things about playing. Totally different styles though, he was a huge Beatles/Clapton fan, and I was of course a big Vai/Satriani kid. When we get to the store, I see this brand new 1990 Jem777 DY for 750.00! But... my mother's boyfriend convinced me to buy a Fender Deluxe Strat instead at around the same price. The Strat was of course a nice guitar, but a year later I sold it to buy a JS1...

Anyway, I have had that thought burning in my brain for the past 30 years or so regretting that I never got that JEM. I've been in Japan for a long time now, and I have several late 80's RG550's that I have gotten for great prices off of yahoo auctions. Had a long summer vacation off of work so I decided to take a white 1990 RG550 and turn in into... that beautiful desert yellow Jem I should have bought.

I ordered PAF PRO pickups for the bridge and neck, and got an HS-2 (from what I have researched, very close to a JEM single coil), and bought the acrylic pyramid inlays from a guy in Japan ( who lives in the same town as the Fujigen factory so maybe he has some connection... probably not, but nice to think about I took out the original fret dots and did my best to route out the original fretboard and install them. Not perfect by any means (it was really difficult to get the 12th and 24th fret holes to fill in well enough and get it to be unnoticeable) but overall pretty pleased with how it came out. I also carved out the lion's claw, re-positioned output jack, and monkey grip as best I could.

For the paint, by some strange coincidence, the home center near my house had just 3 day glow paints, yellow, pink, and green, and the colors looked VERY close to the originals! I got all three and used them to try and color everything correctly as close as I could.

One thing I left out though in terms of accuracy is the volume knob, which I moved because I hate that it is so close to my picking hand that it gets bumped around. The Ibanez logo was done with a water-slide decal, and I made it a bit larger than usual which I like. A few photos I have seen of older 777's have a larger logo than others, which is kind of strange but in that sense it doesn't look too off putting.

Anywho, for my first try I can't complain about much. I am going to try and do a floral Jem next with one of my 80's RG570's and hopefully it will come out better as I get more practice with all this. Maybe even a lochness green 777 after that... I think an appropriate name for these is an "RGem" ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jem777s.jpg (174.7 KB, 127 views)
jemsite, jim777, mike570 and 6 others like this.

Last edited by tigeryear74; 08-14-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM

Re: DIY 777 DY

Wow, i was expecting just the usual colored pickup bobbins and knobs on a 550DY. You really went all out, nice job!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 120

Good work! do you have a few more pictures, progress pics and stuff?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Very nice work dude! Great!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Looks good, enjoy it!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:02 PM

I hitchhiked to Tokyo years ago to buy the best guitar I could find and ended up with a RG550 in that exact same color! Took it back to Yamanashi and had my friend help me remove all the yellow and refinish it natural with charcoal smearing for colorization and the only place you can see the original color is the little crescent area by the neck plate.

You did a killer job on that guitar, especially getting the inlays and lions claw!
Hoseki is online  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry its taken me a while to get back here.

do you have a few more pictures, progress pics and stuff? <---- I wasn't sure if it would even come out looking good enough, so I didn't bother taking and photos. lol. But when I try this again, it should be of better quality, so as to help out anyone else who would like to try mods like this I will definitely take some next time!

The biggest surprise I got was in how well the pickups sound. Wasnt sure how a PAF PRO in the neck would sound but its the best sounding humbucker in the neck position I have heard, HS-2 in the middle also super sweet. I usually use my old '87 RG560 with a Tone Zone for recording, but I am going to start using this guitar more with its clear and crunchy punch.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:39 AM

Awesome job Tigeryear74! Looks amazing!! You should be proud of yourself.

Not wishing to Hi-Jack your thread but I have a similar story regarding the Jem77FP2. I finished my Jem homage - the JemPHP2 earlier this year. You can see more about it here: https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/jem-php2-162549.html

If you do decide to do the FP Project and want any (remote) assist, feel free to contact me.

Congrats again on your beautiful guitar and a job well and truly done!

Tags
777 , 777 dy , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode