DNA; BUY IT OR NO? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

can anyone let me know if this guitar is truly killer? *it's a tone 'o cash! *i have the jem 7dbk and i love the neck thickness...very thin, like my old yellow vine inlay. *i also have the FP, brand new for 2001, and the neck is a little thick for me. *i totally dig the thinner necks. *can anyone help me out before i order one....when i find one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 06:42 PM
Vendor

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

My *biggest* piece of advice is do NOT 'order' one till you've found the swirl that does it for you!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:31 PM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

My biggest piece of advice is don't waste your money.

If you read the posts here, you'll find that the DNAs are made and marketed as a collector's guitar - and an Ibanez collector's guitar at that. *They have a lot of problems on top of that. *

If you want a guitar you can play and you have that kind of $$$ to spend (and god bless ya if you do) buy a 7vwh. *Even if you buy one new and have Darren swirl it for you (your own custom colors and swirl, mind you) it's STILL cheaper than a DNA - and you have a much higher quality instrument.

Don't believe the hype! *If you want a basswood guitar wtih a rosewood neck and Breeds, buy a 7dbk for 1/3 of the price. * The 7vwh is a better instrument all around.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but from what i've heard, it seems to be the best bet for a person with DNA money to spend.
~kenny
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 5
DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

If you are a collector, buy it. Otherwise, get a 7VWH and another guitar you like. The money you would spend in a DNA could be better spent in two good guitars.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:52 PM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Despite what everyone else says, whether you want to collect the DNA's or just play them, If you love the guitar, buy the damn thing. *I have to agree with Rich though, unless you see the swirl first, think hard, while most of them are gorgeous, there are a couple that I can't stand. *Anyway, if I had the coin, I'd buy one in a second. *I love them. *I ordered my 7VWH and my UV777BK without ever having seen one in real life, and lets face it, even though they are nowhere near as spendy as a DNA, they aren't cheap. *I haven't had one ounce of regret.
Just decide how bad you want one, and buy it with the frame of mind that you'll never make money on it and you won't be dissapointed, then, if you do make money on it down the road, that's even better.
Just my $.02
Jeremy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:43 PM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

If you have the resources to acquire one, go ahead man! I love the guitar! Killer looks and killer playability and tone. I played it at my local store....yes they actually let me touch it The feeling gave me goosebumps all over. The experience of seeing one in real is a real privillege in itself. If you have the finances go get it!

Plus with Vai's blood in it, you'll be able to clone your very own LIttle Stevie Vai!

Chris.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:29 PM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Think about it:

For 5k, you can buy (all prices are mint and high):

Unique/Collectable Jems:

Jem10 - $2500
PMC/GMC - $2500

Now, with the remaining $2500 you can buy one or two of the other Jems, and you'll have three guitars instead of one.

IMHO the only thing that makes the DNA special is cosmetics. *To buy as an investment, I think you'd be disappointed (this is just my opinion, don't flame me for my opinion) but I highly doubt their value will double like the MC's and 10th (Jem Ham 90 anyone?) *To collect just because it is a cool thing - go ahead if you have 5k in disposable assets.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:45 PM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Ohh, I love this topic:biggrin:

I own many DNA's and quite a few Jem's so I'm going to try to stick to undisputable facts....

Fact/Guideline #1

If you can't afford the street price (I love how everyone acts/thinks everyone is paying full list) don't buy a DNA..it'll cause too much stress....which will ultimately make you dislike the guitar.

Fact #2

A DBK is not a DNA and honestly doesn't compare (Sorry, but don't flame me unless you own or have owned both...and even then be prepared!!)

Fact #3

If you want a guitar that's a special edition and sweet the JEM 10 or JEM 90 if found for a reasonable street price are sweet. *However, don't play the 10th too long or the chrome on the p/u's will wear/scratch and don't touch the pickguard on the 90th or it will fog.

Fact #4

If you are inclined to buy a swirl, first decide which color combos you like, PMC, GMC or DNA. *If you don't care about the colors and you can comfortably afford the DNA, buy it over the GMC and PMC because they are only a year old while the other ones will still cost high dollars yet likely show signs of aging and are hard to find at a store where you can thoroughly inspect them before you buy. *DNA's have warranties in the US.

Fact #5

Don't take the advice of anyone who's says the DNA's aren't quality guitars. *I could list many details to prove them otherwise.

Fact #6

Don't take the advice of anyone who says the DNA's are always of superior quality and better than any guitar Ibanez ever made. *Quality by definition cannot be always perfect otherwise why the hell would people measure it so often.

Fact #7

If you want to buy a DNA find one soon the buyer's market is good, but seems to be running out.

Fact #8

If you keep your DNA in good condition..which is a little easier since it's younger...doesn't have chrome p/u's, doesn't have fogging on the pickguard...you can always get $3,000 for it if you end up needing cash and it's a nice swirl from a DNA maniac like myself. *On the other hand, if you need to sell a VWH and an FP, you'll be competing with higher production totals and folks being able to buy a new one for a few hundred more than a dead mint used one.

Fact #9

If you want to use the guitar to gig and expect road rash to occur don't buy the more expensive JEM's if you are going to worry about it...it will cause you stress.

Whooh...now that's a factual rant...Now for my opinion..when you buy a DNA..you are the only one in the world that has that specific finish which is cool and inspiring...but make sure you have a player around for bouncing off the stage.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:53 PM
Vendor

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Thanks John, that saved me alot of typing!! :biggrin: To futher the point, I know of several DNA's that if come back on the market will be full list (or higher) swirls, some are just THAT good. (of course that's just my opinion, but there IS a ready market for stellar examples)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Quote:
DNA; BUY IT OR NO?
short version... pass on the DNA... glen
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Vendor

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Fact 10, don't take advice from anyone, if you like it and can afford it you won't be disapointed!!

Glen's just jealous (or getting so OLD he only likes wood tops now) :biggrin:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:01 AM

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

Your just no fun anymore Glen...I might as well go to bed or maybe speaking of overpriced things go watch my cable :biggrin: *
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:03 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

LOL. I have two swirls i love thankyouverymuch

EDIT - but if you cancel your cable TV and cell phone you can probably afford just about anything in 12 months or so

(Edited by jemsite at 12:06 am on April 28, 2001)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:08 AM
Vendor

DNA; BUY IT OR NO?

You STILL have 2 left?!?! Damn you were a swirl whore weren't you?!?!?! :biggrin:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!! *your info is invaluable. *i want the DNA but do i need it?! *i have the 7DBK and love it and a brand new 2001 FP and i sorta like that but the neck is a little too thick for me. *anyway, i may be picking up a 7VWH. *does anyone know if the neck is thin in comparison to the 7DBK? *i found a DNA for $3400 through a friend. *it's dead mint and a great swirl. *but that is a lot of money. *thanks again! by the way, where can i get ahold of Rich for buying a 7VWH

Tags
basswood guitar , rosewood neck , stevie vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode