DNA Fretsize, and body wood? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

DNA Fretsize, and body wood?

I'm curious if the fret wire is 6105 or 6100 and if the body wood is alder or basswood. I used to want a 77PMC, but the DNA has some features I prefer, namely rosewood f/b, Breed pickups, and all access joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:32 AM

Odd to choose a DNA based on features, especially when all those you're looking for can be found on the $4000 cheaper 7DBK.

Regardless, the DNAs are generally much prettier than the (often skanky) PMCs I've seen.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

If I bought one, I'd definately play the heck out of it, I'm not the type to just buy guitars for the sake of buying them and collecting. I love the way they look, and would like to know these specifics. For that kind of money, I better know exactly what I'm gettin. I own a JEM7DBK, and a RG550 with Breeds.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Vendor

Don't know if I've ever seen the spec printed, but they look like 6105's to me, basswood body.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:55 AM

As Rich say, fretwire seems the same as dbk, and the neck shape is pretty close (except for the beauty of the fretboard)

I think that if you love your dbk and his way of playing , you will love even more the dna (i bought a dbk as a training guitar for my dna )

But beware, i know you say that you are a "player", but it's very hard to play cool on a such beautyful and expensive guitar.........you will see when you have it (and paid the price for it).It awful to sweat on a such delicate fretboard .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:32 AM

Rich,

Isn't the fretwire listed on the Y2K glossy you have from Ibanez? I thought I remembered them being 6105...but then again? The DNA body is basswood. If you are going to play it try and pick up on in player condition it'll save you some $$$'s.

JC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Vendor

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:00 PM

You could always get a DNA, strip it, and have it refinished like a DBK...

<braces for severe beating>

I was kidding!! kidding!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:30 PM

The frets feel the same as the DBK to me. the DNA is great but it's very much a collector's guitar. It plays as great as any Jem but there isn't $3000.00 more functional features than the DBK. It's differences aside from the cosmetics are mostly the scalloped (last 4 frets, of course) DBK-style nexk and that its Breed pickups are direct-mounted (the result is indeed a remarkable sound).

I love the guitar but this is one I'd advise putting a lot of serious thought into before buying.

Mike 777 Haug
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:10 PM

If you have the$$$ go for it. I would do it again. Its a great axe with cool features and it was a Y2K edition (wow... only every thousand years..)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 01:32 PM

Yeah. If I had such a large income (and didn't have to work) where these would seem to cost me just "small change" I would have bought a few. I'd have to find a ridiculously low price on a used one someday (if ever) to consider buying another.

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
basswood body , fret wire , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode