DNA NECK PROBS!!!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

what should i do my Dna does not play as well as other guitars I cannot for the life of me *get it to play like butter ive tried every thing! and ive concluded that because there is a slight bow in the treble side of the neck i can never no matter how hard i try get it straight! i didnt notice at first but now i cant help notice: it DOES affect my ability to burn i can feel somthing wierd in the higher area. ive taken it to the best luthier and he see this imperfection also plus *some of my shredder friends also see it , so i know its not just me.
what the hell can i do, because it is *slightly bowed but bowed never the less, i believe that they will not warrant this a defect and replace the neck, but to me its very noticable and totally takes away from my creative ness(im constantly ajusting it *CONSTANTLY! it sucks to have to do this. i feel that it does warrant defect. oh and *to the thread on action... my frets were leveled like ****!!!!!!!!! my frets are so out of wack that its disgusting!can you guys *help me please!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 12:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Hmmmmm.... Rich & some others were just explaining how the DNAs are the best playing JEMs, setup by Ibanez to perfection.

To be honest i cannot offer any substantive advice here except to have your local ibanez dealer check it and repair it if necessary... glen
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

yes but HOW do you repair a neck bowed on the treble side ! *its optimum to have a *perfectly straight neck
thats the only way to have a rippin machine THE ONLY WAY right? well for me it is mabe im weird but i m not fond of an un even feel in *specific places on the playing surface thats the most important part in my opinion ...
you simply cannot have the action super low if the neck is not straight and i dont want *a repair job wich includes
taking of the whole dam fretboard and resanding the neck!
im just bummin man i play my rg and saber they blow it away! but i cant afford a 5000$ piece of art! so I just dont know what to do,so ill contact ibanez and see *if they will help(new neck!
i *just thought id ask for suggestions but i guess you really cant help so sorry guys just needed to vent
Im in pain realy.. it hurts.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:16 AM

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Send it back to Ibanez through the dealer you purchased it!!! * Make sure you stand your ground and get the neck replaced. *I also had a DNA that had the worst fret job I have ever seen on any Ibanez. *Plus had one other DNA and seen another that was just poor Quality....

Sad but true!

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 02:05 AM
Vendor

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Glen, you got it wrong again, we said they all had a fret level, nobody ever said they were setup perfect from Ibanez!

Rodney, I'll be pulling out 229 and doing a serious A B against 32 this weekend and address most of the issues you brought up. A few of which just aren't true. The 'scratches' under the guard were just what I thought, dirt streaks left from a wiping rag prior to assembly. I just pulled the guard and wiped them off. There also are not any unset or high frets, but the low E is as buzzy as the low E on the 2000 FP I *didn't* send you, you know what I'm talking about. I'l be measuring the exact nut heights on each as soon as 32 is here. The scratches ARE there on the board, cleanup fretwork done by Chesbro obviously with a single fret level tool. NOT factory, that's not how they work. Probably why the low E is buzzy though, I'll be doing a touch up level on the low side as soon as I get a chance. Should clean right up. First DNA fretwork I'll have had to do, but possibly made that way by Chesbro to begin with. More probably the wood moved in the trip over and Chesbro made an 'attempt' at cleaning it up. Your rants of poor 'quality' just do NOT fit, it's just not the 'perfection' you expected in your obsessive search for flaws, contributed to by the amount of $$$'s you had in the 'investment'.

Arioma, unfortunately you're in Chesbro territory, hold your ground, but they'll probably just want to shave the frets down on the upper registers as a 'quick fix'. You'll have to be very specific about the problem and how you want it resolved.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 02:57 AM

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Hey man don't worry too much about, you're really lucky that customer support is well within your reach. For me, it's a different story...upon receiving my UV777BK I noticed that I had frets which literally popped out!

I could fit a credit card underneath them...and the edge of the card would peak out the other side of the fret...not a pretty sight.

My dealer was not very helpful at all...kinda made me feel he was interested in my money only. Told me to send it back to them, they send it back to ibanez...all that in a short span of a negligible 8-12 months! Woohoo!

I stood my ground and asked for a new neck...but the request went through and my dealer responded by telling me ibanez had no such policy.

At the end of this harrowing experience I took it to my friend who's a guitar tech...and re-did the fret work. Spent a bloody bomb on that.

My advice is stand your ground and don't take no for an answer...you've spent more than a bomb on such a nice guitar and it should be perfect!

Good luck man!

Chris.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 08:04 AM

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Whoops, I guess Glen was referencing me about the perfect out of the box stuff. *

Let me clarify...the one I bought from Rich was perfect out of the box and had an excellent setup. *I'm sure he had a hand in this.

The other one I bought without seeing in person over the internet and came 'perfect' in my opinion out of the box. *Actually Rich was there when I opened it and he commented that it was setup well and we talked a bit about where they get set up etc.

So when I say mine have been set up perfect maybe it makes better sense to say set up well or to my liking. *I consider myself very fortunate that this is the case.

I don't mean it to say that the other problems folks are having aren't real and I truly hope they are corrected.

Ariomia, good luck man, I hope you get your problems fixed because I think you'll be pleased if you do!!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 09:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 2:05 am on Feb. 21, 2001
Glen, you got it wrong again, we said they all had a fret level, nobody ever said they were setup perfect from Ibanez!
*LOL. This is a bad comedy act. So they leveled frets without a setup first. Who's on first ...glen

PS - ariomia, if the board is too straight it will buzz all over the fretboard. Good luck.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:06 AM
Vendor

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Uh, yes. That's the way it's done, the level is done while the neck is still off the guitar. Be pretty stupid to put them all together and set them up, then pull them all apart to level, then put them back together again!! LOL
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Quote:
Uh, yes. That's the way it's done, the level is done while the neck is still off the guitar. Be pretty stupid to put them all together and set them up, then pull them all apart to level, then put them back together again!! LOL
Yah, all that extra work to do it properly is a burden :sarcasm:

Too bad it's required to get the guitar setup properly in the firstplace. Oh well :lame:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:28 AM
Vendor

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

OK, I'll play. So WHY do you consider it necessary to assemble and set the guitar up, BEFORE doing a fret level, as "proper"?? All the level does is ensure they are, well, uh, LEVEL *before* the guitar is put together!!!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 11:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

Rich, you just explained why each JEM comes as they do, ramdomly setup and typically lacking the final tweaking and proper setup. Good enough for a cheap RG, but in my book not good enough for a pricy signature model axe. To their credit, Ibanez USA tried to fix this for the DNAs, anticipating a backlash if they didn't. Overall they did a good job given the source material. Since final 'setup' (which includes EVERY aspect of guitar playability including fretwork and dressing IMHO) is apparently not done in Japan with great care, they did it here in America before shipping to customers.

To answer your question, if all the fine tuning is done BEFORE assembly and inspection, the setup will leave alot to be desired. 'nuff said. All is clear now... glen
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Vendor

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

For some reason I love it when we banter this way

***why each JEM comes as they do, ramdomly setup and typically lacking the final tweaking and proper setup***

Contrair, they all come from the factory with the exact same setup, it's called 'factory default', which means the action is set to about 3/16" on the low E and 3/32" on the high. The trems are setup in a perfect float angle, the intonation is perfect, it's set by a jig. They do a lousy job of stretching in the strings though. The 'inconsistency' is caused by the fact that some dealers will do a setup, some better than others, and some won't, so the reports of how guitars are recieved by players varries greatly. Of course nobody I know wants to recieve a guitar with factory default action.

***To their credit, Ibanez USA tried to fix this for the DNAs, ***

Hoshino USA did absolutely nothing different with the DNA's except put the most careful and experienced person on the job, same action settings, Chesbro actually set each up with lowered action and stretched strings, they needed little tweaking. But then Rodney's and Arioma's were Chesbro guitars so that says something right there.

***Since final 'setup' (which includes EVERY aspect of guitar playability including fretwork and dressing IMHO)***

This is just a differing opinion. IMO setup has to do with just that, 'setting' the action to the desired point and checking everything over, including for high frets, that would give lousy playability. I don't consider a fret level as setup, that's tech or manufacturing in the sence I'm talking about, the DNA's, as they had a fret level at the factory as part of the 'manufacturing' process. This is exactly what they used to do on all the late 80's early 90's guitars that at some point they quit doing, until the DNA.

***if all the fine tuning is done BEFORE assembly and inspection***

The level on the DNA's was part of the manufacturing process. If the frets are level on the neck when it's off the guitar, they will still be level when it's assembled Fine tuning is done when all the parts come together.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

I believe 'guitar setup' to be a mixture of art and science. As much as machines, jigs and formulas work to create a 'factory setup', you need to apply the art. This would include actual INSPECTION, reexamination and correction of the problems that result of the robotic & repetitive manufacturing process.

When all the pieces are assembled, and forces applied, funny things can happen. Especially since we're dealing with wood here, not titanium nuts and bolts in a clock... glen
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:44 PM
Vendor

DNA NECK PROBS!!!!!

OK, can't argue those points, much :biggrin: There is alot of inspection and hand finishing that occurs after the whirrling is done. The problem lies when they let some of the minor things slip through as 'good enough'.

Tags
fret level , fret leveling , guitar shop , guitar tech , high frets , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , jem dbk , local guitar shop , neck bow , nut height , straight neck , string tension , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode