DNA Pick Guard - DNA Pick Guard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

DNA Pick Guard - DNA Pick Guard

Just something I've noticed since getting a DNA...but you know the clear plastic pick guard...the one that glows so cool under a black light...and that just even has that kind of purple thing going on under other types of lights. *Well...I've notice that it's not just unique to the DNA. *Check out the plastic wrap on the top of a Gatorade sport bottle...you know the ones with the twist top on them...the plastic seal on the outside of those bottles...it's like the same stuff as a DNA pick guard...or at least it has extremely similar properties....and so does "Transparent Scotch Tape"....the kind in the red package...not the green disappearing "magic tape"...but the normal kind of Scotch Tape. *Anyhow...just something I've noticed. *Put one of those Gatorade Sport bottles under a black light...and that plastic wrap will light up like Vegas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:27 PM

DNA Pick Guard

Hey, you noticed that, too! * I was ordering a couple of spares (item# 4PGJEM2K) and I was trying to explain in a conversation how it looked and I noticed that the safety seal on the cap of my V8 Splash looked just like it!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 06:17 AM

DNA Pick Guard

Did you believe that this kind of material is exclusive for Ibanez? I saw it first time on university in physics- thats a long time ago.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

DNA Pick Guard

No, certainly didn't believe it was exclusive to Ibanez...just hadn't ever seen it...or noticed it before...until the DNA came out. *Also, seemed like a lot of other people were wondering what it was...I mean do you Wmerkert, know what it is...I mean, how it works, what's in the plastic, etc. etc. to make it illuminate so?!?!? *Bottom line it's kinda neat...and just hadn't really noticed it...or it's properties until getting the DNA....and since then I seem to be noticing it...a lot of places.

Oh, and it would appear that Ibanez also thought it was rather unique...seeing how it was one of the selling points behind the DNA. *
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 09:27 AM

DNA Pick Guard

Hi MAXAX!
I can't remember exactly,but i think there are two reasons:
1. The refraction of this material lets the spectrum's blue light go through.
2. Black light is able to lift atoms of this polymer on a higher level. This atoms will fall back at once and emitt energy, causing this effect. But i don't know the formula of this polymer. I think the idea of Ibanez, to use this polymer as a pickgard is very cool.
Wolfgang
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 02:40 PM

DNA Pick Guard

Sorry i forgot something.
Also very interesting are the DNA inlays. One part of the helix is glooming white in the darkness if you exposed her to normal indoor light. Also the dots and the little dots (vesicles?). If you expose her to sunlight the helix part is glooming in a nice turkis colour and the dots in green. I don't know how this works. All these little details and the great swirls make here such outstanding and unique.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2002, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

DNA Pick Guard

Well I agree...it is cool and rather unique...and I'll just be content to enjoy it for what it is!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:25 AM

DNA Pick Guard

I had to hunt this post down, having remembered it.

Is there a name for this kind of plastic? Also, anyone know how or where I can get any?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 12:50 PM

DNA Pick Guard

Sorry i forgot it. Contact an University (physics) and describe it. Think they can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode