DNA Prototype / Hollywood - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

DNA Prototype / Hollywood

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally got to see where it all started for the DNA's. Prototype is sitting in the window at GC and is not for sale of course because Steve still owns it. Anyway, someone's gotta tell SSV that the finish is fading....might as well be me.

How do I know, Rich told me it used to be quite saturated.....she doesn't look very saturated anymore. Somebody stop the bleeding...I mean fading. Anyway very cool to be able to see the proto from a run of guitars that I can't stop searching out:-)

Later,

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Vendor

I told Steve about 6 months ago to have them take it OUT of that front window
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 08:57 AM

Cant we bombard that Guitar center with phone calls or emails? Sounds like a worthy cause isnt it?
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 02:39 PM

Great advertisment but a real bad Idea ! As with anything even with built in sun screen the swirl can only take so much . It has been sitting under a virtual magnifing glass for what about 1 1/2 years DUH!!!!! what are you thinking ! but what can ya do Steve said they could display it and thats how they are going to do it . Im sure it's ruined by now it will have to come in for it's 1095 day check up and get redone soon . lol ! It's a real shame that was a real nice looking guitar as well as being the first one .
typical ! Then they will say the finish sucks because it faded . Ding ding Hello is there anybody in there? (while plinking them(G.C.) on the head with my finger) . And well Steve has an open door here if he needs it redone so what the heck .
DJ ATD
They got some good milage out of it though !
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 01:50 AM

Funny...if you go to guitarcenter.com and click on the Rockwalk tab (where the guitar is displayed) then Steve's name out of the drop down list, they say to click that guitar for a closer look at Steve's 7-string...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 08:18 AM

Man,, that's a shame,,,not only is the guitar center not even thinking about what there are doing with a high end guitar but they don't take the time to even get there own explanations correct. GC's are nice, but they seem to be to big with alot of people that really don't give a flying crap. I'm sorry,,, like many others I pay attention to detail. This isn't the first time they've displayed expensive guitars in the window and ruined finishes. I was at the GC in San Marcos, and my god the dude I talked to couldn't even figure where to plug in a marshall that was on display. When I was asking him about a VWH they had hanging under some serious bright lights, he told it was the best playing,, ,yaddda , yaddda, yaddda..... sooo Took it down after about 15 minutes of head scratching. And Oh my god! I hate to say it,,, that Jem was a peice of crap. The lights have been on it soooo long, and so close I literally got a red mark on my wrist when the tremolo touch my arm... Yes,, it was that hot. The neck was twisted, and the tremolo was sitting all the way back onto the lion claw. Yeah, real pro! I told the manager, this was a joke and he just said " and you are?"
I can't beleive I even put in an application there. It for that reason that I am sooooo damn glad that we have Rich @ Ibanez rulez! He knows, he understands, he cares.....

I would be up for a mass email or letter write to have the guitar taken out of the window!

~A
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 04:24 PM

As a former GC employee for two years, consider yourself lucky the application didn't work... But, this is normal for them. While I was there, it was all product, and all expendable. If it got damaged, oh well... The place I work at now is a warranty station for Martin and Taylor, and we so much stuff from the surrounding GC's. They're just like "fix it"...rather than take care of their gear in the first place...

In honor of the topic at hand...the Rockwalk at GC Hollywood is really about tourism. And it is a shame that artists put their gear in there with the trust of having it taken care of, only to have it come back in less than original condition. I'm sure Vai has a busy schedule, and can't really keep up on it, but you'd think they'd have the respect to know at least how many strings it has...lol
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 12:30 AM

What a waste of a great guitar. That guitar should be on the top rack. (like all the other jems are at GC's) Hey JC did you happen to take a picture of it in all it's fading glory? If so, could you post one here so we can see how bad it is?

Mike
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mike,

I'm really sorry, but I left the digital cam home (it was a business trip and I had a couple of hours to kill). The swirl is still killer, but none of the colors pop anymore. In fact, a photo might have saturated the colors making it tough to see the difference. It would be really hard to get a picture without a flash due to the low lighting and then the glass refelction...well let's just say probably can't be done well enough to really discern the fade.

In person, you can tell that's it's fade, because it's really evenly distributed across the guitar. Anyway, I'm on a new mission....to get a first hand look at the 7 string DNA (Wow). Keep that one out of the sun Stevie:-)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:07 PM

If you mean the 7-string I mentioned in the previous post, it's not. Guitar Center has the link where you can see the DNA in the window closer, but it says click to see Vai's new 7-string. It's not...it's a regular DNA. If you mean something else, what 7-string DNA?

(Edit)Doh...just saw the post on it.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:11 PM
EKG

This monster

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/guitar117.html

Discussed in a couple of other threads
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:27 PM

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 PM

I took this back in June... It's a little blurry. :-\
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Vendor

It's not looking THAT bad yet. I took these right after it was born

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 PM

Yikes, look at the difference in the amount of reds between the two different photos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode