Do any of you use all Vai gear? - Amp, pedals, guitars - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Do any of you use all Vai gear? - Amp, pedals, guitars

Do any of you guys use all Steve vai sig. gear? I currently have a Legacy and Bad Horsie. I am looking for a new guitar and told my self I would not get a Jem. However an used FP or 7VW looks pretty tempting. *If I did buy a Jem I would seem to myself one of those kids who buys all the gear a band uses just because they use it. *Do any of you feel like that? Or is it not a big deal at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 06:46 PM

Do any of you use all Vai gear?

here is *a good stroy:I was going to buy the dime signature(cheap kind) at the beginning of the summer but i kept hearing people that u can't buy it cause it wouldn't look right without dime or stuff like that. Well i just put up the middle finger because screw everyone else. if it satisfies ur tastes then hey it does and thats aesome don't let someone tell u not to get it cause some big rock star does. Just think of all the different people who use a mesa boogie dual rectifier. Since metallica were on of the firs tto use them are we all gonna call them posers. No cause its a great product.
BTW i bought a jem instead!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 12:16 AM

I have a VWH and a Bad Horsie.. and I gotta admit, I'm about 50% of the way to buying a Legacy halfstack too...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 06:33 AM

vWH, Little Alligator and Bad Horsie (and DS1, but that's not sig, oh well).
no, i'm not looking to get a legacy, and no, i didn't get all of it just cause it was sig, although that was some part of it. *i actually like all of that gear, especially the guitar

~A
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:57 PM

Actually, no
I only use the Jems.. and Eventides but that doesnt count..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 03:29 PM

Like VWALL i only use Jems, cause i love these instruments.
I have no other Steve gear.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 06:40 PM

The only peice of signature Steve Vai gear I currently own is a cable that i got for free *(That's right, I don't even have any Jems!)

A couple months ago I went to a club and saw a guy playing Jems/UVs, a bad horsie and a Legacy half stack... he was one of the worst musicians I've ever seen. *It was all instrumental and their just wasn't anything to the music. *He was pathetically sloppy and had no stage presence. *

I think it's fine to have your entire rig be signature gear if like the way it sounds, but then you should know you're automatically setting yourself up to be judged by your audience and compared to the guy all your gear was made for! *Like it or not, it's the way it is. *Make sure you have the music to help the crowd get past your fancy guitars. *Those things should be an addition to a good performance and not in place of it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 08:24 PM

I used to play UVs, but now play RG7s. *Other than the Bad Horsie wah, that's all I use with the sig on it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 01:26 AM

I'm using everything but the two new Morley's (Little Alligator, BH 2) that Steve endorse's (no cables either). I even have a Boss DS-1 (Japan), funny though because it really doesn't sound like his rig. Right now I'm in the midst of trading pieces in and out, and basically getting a whole new rig.

Everything's being switched to Mesa and Tech 21 stuff, (as well as the rack stuff....but that'll be a looonnngg time...).

Only thing with Vai's name on it, (and not literally) will be the JEM and UV's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 06:30 PM

Hi all. *I would probably play all Vai gear if I could afford it. *The reason I would has nothing to do with wanting to imitate Vai as a stage-presence; it would be only to get his sound.

I love the tone he gets, and I know that tone is more than his gear - it's also in his fingers (not to mention the recording gear he owns also). *

I curse my setup sometimes because, though I can get a great dirty tone with my Jem77FP, the notes sound sort of mushy and lack clarity (this is with a Carvin SX200D and a Digitech TSR24). *I just use the Digitech as a preamp to give me some gain (to drive the amp's distortion circuit), a noise gate, and a high pass filter. *My Alvarez Dana electric has active electronics and seems to sound better, but I wonder if I'm just nitpicking.

So that's why I would play through his gear if I could. *I agree that I would probably feel a little self-conscious about it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 07:23 PM

I haveÖ
Legacy
Bad Horsie
Lilí Alligator
Boss DS-1
UVs

I am seriously NOT trying to be like Vai, but itís no wonder people comment that I sound like him. At the time I just liked the gear. I am presently very displeased with my tone. The UVs, Bad Horsie and Alligator stay. Everything else is going.

Note; I donít have a big problem with the Legacy and think that half my problem is the crappy speakers I have, but I have been test driving amps in the studio and have found that the Legacy is much more difficult to record.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 12:56 AM

Funny Bob, we both seem to have run out of the Legacy wet dream for the same reasons, but I always found recording with it was easiest.

Whenever I did anything with a mic in front of it, it was so simple. Getting my settings right through the amp was the hard part. There's this one sound in the Legacy that I suppose is it's signature sound, that I don't like. Trying to get the right balance of enough drive to sustain, enough mids to cut, but not too much to be buzzy, enough treble to be clear, but not too much to be grainy. With different mic locations I could get some seriously different sounds that really surprised me...but that one sound just kills it for me.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 06:59 PM

Andy, I think it is partially about seasons with me. I dug hi-gain for years. Then I went through my melodic, Vai, sustain-gain phase. Now I am attempting melodic hi-gain. If my wife doesnít mind, I may try to keep the Legacy around. I may grow tired of hi-gain again. One never knows.

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , high pass filter , horsie wah , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode