Do new Jems come with cases? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Do new Jems come with cases?

Hey fellas, hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere. (I did do a search, and I can't find it. Feel free to redirect and call me a moron as necessary.) My first Jem, which I bought about five years ago, did not come with a case. At the time I had read somewhere that new Ibanez guitars, or at least the higher-end models, came with a hardshell case, but nada. The store chain had the Jem I was looking for at another store across the country, and they brought it in for me.

So now I'm buying a 7VBK, and they have to order it special from the distributor. I suppose I could just get the store to call and ask the distributor, but I'm avoiding bedtime and figured I could put the question to you lot out there: do brand new Jems come with a case? Should I be pushing for one? (They'll probably give me a generic hardshell anyway, but the Ibanez cases are damned sharp-looking.)

Thanks in advance for the info, and/or calling me a moron if this is already answered somewhere in the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 AM

Re: Do new Jems come with cases?

It should have a molded J Craft case...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 AM

For the prices Jems go for, I should frickin' HOPE it comes with an Ibanez hardcase.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Dee

Simple answer = yes.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Do new Jems come with cases?

Anything over $1500. should come with a case. Whether the store includes it or the manufacturer includes it. Pretty much my rule of thumb. Even over a $1000. should be subject to those terms, but it depends on what you're buying...
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 AM

When I bought my FP back in '95, it didnt come with a case either.... I remember quizzing them about it and they told me that they didn't come with cases althought the 555 that I bought from them a year before (and got rid of within a few months), did come with one. I have now known for a few years that it should of come with a case, but to much time has passed to do anything.

It still pisses me off when I go pass the shop to this day.

If I ever loose it and go crazy one day, I'm starting in that shop...

That was a joke BTW...

or was it...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM

Definitely comes with case
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 AM

Reviews: 21

It should come with a case. As far as I know, it should have always come with a case. This is a CASE of greedy shopkeeps looking to turn a quick buck for something that should be included.
I say you out them on the Internet; name and address! Maybe if they start losing business for being percieved as crooks, they will change their ways...
...maybe!

Kampai!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Do new Jems come with cases?

Unfortunately it is the way music stores run. I managed several music stores when I was younger, and in most cases, the term comes with case/case included is for the dealer not the customer. At least it was always interpreted that way by the stores I ran.

If a sale was going south you'd throw in a case for $50.00 and maybe a cable. Only as a last ditch effort would you toss in the case for free. That started because people would want a good deal without the case, and then you just started being a shyster. Like with a Jem, an RG will fit into that case, so you could always upgrade another customer to it. But say a Jackson Kelly, unless you have 7 or 8 of them lying around you want to dump the case with the guitar.

Make more demands of your salesman in the future, cash works better than credit cards or checks, so if you can walk in with cash... Make counter offers, ask for the manager/owner if a deal doesn't please you. Last thing a salesman wants, is to look like he can't close a deal with a cash customer. Especially in the independent smaller store. GC doesn't care as much, but the little guy gets far less customers to be jerking around...
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the replies. First, I'd like to make clear that I DO NOT CONDONE ARSON OF CRAP STORES. Not officially.

So yeah, I figured new Jems are supposed to come with a J. My store is part of a chain, sure, but I've been dealing with them for almost a decade, even worked there the odd day, and have no reason to believe they'd knowingly rip me off. Like I mentioned, when I got my JEM7DBK a few years ago they didn't know anything about the case but threw one in anyway.

However, this time I'm going to make sure I get the J. Craft. I'm pretty sure I saw in a catalog or somewhere official that my JEM7DBK should have came with a case, and though I can't track down similar information for my upcoming JEM77VBK I'll maybe just have to see how charming I am.

Am I nuts, though-- has anyone else seen it listed that Ibanezes (or at least certain models) come with J. Craft cases?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post

It still pisses me off when I go pass the shop to this day.

If I ever loose it and go crazy one day, I'm starting in that shop...

HAHAHA
Ever see Falling Down?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Reviews: 10

i might have the year wrong but I think every Jem since 2003 now comes with a hardcase, but before that then your right they did not include cases. Mine came with a J Craft hardcase (Feb 2007).
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 PM

Cool Re: Do new Jems come with cases?

My new JEM 7VWH (today) came with a very nice J case
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Reviews: 13

Be strict and stern about it with your dealer, as for me, once I bought a UV777 and the dealer trying to cheat me by giving me a lower model case the MC100. The next day I check on the internet and found out that it came with the Team J.Craft hardcase. So I call up the dealer and at 1st they refuse, than I demanded to talk to the Manager and bang his balls, after about 15 minutes of arguing, the manager decided to gave in and threw me a Team J.Craft hardcase out of goodwill, Damn his ass Goodwill, as long as I got my rightfull treasure to hell with whatever they say. Too bad they are the only Ibanez dealer in my country.
To Ibanez company take a note on this matter, because it's a serious crime cheating a customer for their right.
As far as I'm concern they are selling it, to make more profit out of the free given things.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemologist View Post
My new JEM 7VWH (today) came with a very nice J case
I'm only mentioning this to stay in line with the topic, I like the original cases betters. More room for accessories! But I just wanted to say, very cool name Jemologist, I can't believe that wasn't taking years ago!!!

Tags
ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson kelly , music store , prestige guitar , prestige guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode