Do you really think Jems are worth it? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:19 AM

It was the lions claw, the paint had not adhered to the side walls well, it was anything but a smooth gloss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:44 AM

Well, perhaps Id take my JEM10th on my back, renta a boat and row over to UK and sell off My little (Bumblebee), with a nice profit ....

(Wonder, how much theyll pay for a player in good condition)

post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:54 AM

Anywhere from 1400 to 2250 dependent on condition....
post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:34 PM

nah, i don't think they're worth the price, but I bet they're good guitars.

I don't feel the need to Vai to have his name on my guitar, but hey, to each his/her own, right? I'm very happy with my no-frills RG's, so I'm still with those. I must admit I REALLY want a GMC though, but that's just cos I think the green swirl looks really cool.
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:19 PM

[quote="spacenuke"]

...I don't feel the need to Vai to have his name on my guitar... [quote]

That's one of the attractions of the Jem (for me) as opposed to other signature models... it says "Jem" on the headstock, as opposed to "SV Series"

Sure it's a Vai signature, but it has it's own name : )
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmeir
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacenuke

...I don't feel the need to Vai to have his name on my guitar...
That's one of the attractions of the Jem (for me) as opposed to other signature models... it says "Jem" on the headstock, as opposed to "SV Series"

Sure it's a Vai signature, but it has it's own name : )

you're taking my words at face value, huh? but yeah, i see where you're coming from, and I'm sure you knew what I was meant.
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 PM

haha, yeah, I know what you meant : )
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Boy
I am in the UK, the Jem prices here are OUTRAGEOUS compared to US by the way.......Jem 7VWH retails for about 1899 (what's that, about $2500?)
In Sweden it's 3500$ for a new JEM
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mange
Quote:
I am in the UK, the Jem prices here are OUTRAGEOUS compared to US by the way.......Jem 7VWH retails for about 1899 (what's that, about $2500?)
In Sweden it's 3500$ for a new JEM
US$3500? you could buy yourself a plane ticket for a vacation to the US, and pick up a Jem while you're here and still save money.
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:19 AM

Ah, but it retails for that, actual street price more like 1450...
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 04:50 AM

Just thought I'd post to this (slightly) old topic because I used to agree with the poster. Its a UK thing. The majority of UK retailers sell a Jem 7WH for 1899. Thats $3057 US. Which is nuts. I've seen just one retailer willing to sell them for 1499 ($2400) which is starting to verge on acceptable.

The price you guys get them for in the states though, thats far more acceptable... 1117 ($1799), and even cheaper through Rich. That makes the guitar much better value for money. Hence my immenent order for a VWH off of Rich.

Years ago I had an SK. The thing about the older models with the maple boards and wild pinks, yellows, and greens, is that whilst they may be quality, they look cheap and plasticy. I know they aren't, but they have a plasticy look to them thanks to the almost toylike colours. Picking up a used on with a dirty neck, in SK or DY, and your perception is going to be that its cheap. Which is a shame. I'm sure that if the poster tried a VWH priced at 1300 he'd be thinking, wow, VFM.
post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loristra
Quote:
Folks - Great stuff.....no flaming! ;-)
Actually, and I dont mean to be pedantic here, but 1,899 UK pounds as actually $3,086 USD.

Britain is a bend over and take it society, and its cos we keep taking it that they keep bending us over....

Bahhh!!!!!!
It could be worse. her a VWH lists 3250 Euros, which in US $ is... 3700???
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:23 AM

now that I have one, its worth every penny of the 1400 I paid Rich for it including shipping etc. fantastic guitar. and the build quality and feel is miles ahead of the old SK I once had.

as for it being a signature guitar. so was the Les Paul I used to have, the Axis I sold for the JEM, and the Wolfie I had before that. at the end of the day I don't care who plays them. more to the point, only guitarists know who Vai is. to my mates the JEM does not make them think of Vai, they dont think it looks odd when I start playing Van Halen on it or some Metallica. What they do think is that I need a pair of sparkly white spandex trousers to complete the rock pose.

its an excellent guitar and compliments my PRS very well. thats all there is to it. dont write it off because its steve's guitar. i've played and owned many, and this definately is the best of the Rrrrock oriented models I've owned.
post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight
now that I have one, its worth every penny of the 1400 I paid Rich for it.
yep!! And with a IBANEZ RULES setup you have a feature that makes me , (cause i haven't)
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 PM

i think its mostly personal prefrence. i got my first rg570 around 88-89 and have had no problems at all with the guitar, i owned a jem77fp that i traded a 540sltd for, they had just come out and i wanted one but i didn't like the way it played and the guy i played with in a band had the jem77fp that he didn't like so i traded. i kept the guitar maybe 7-8 months and sold it to a good friend for $400 because i just wasn't playing it. i have (3)rg570s and (2)rg560s all older models and i've never played a guitar that i felt as comfortable with. i've played other jems at the music stores but never really liked them. now days you can buy one of those rg560/570s for $250 on ebay and i would choose them over a jem anyday because that just my personal prefrence. i've just purchased the rg770fm from bduersch and am looking for a rg3120tw just because all of the beautiful guitars ibanez has been making but i'm sure when it comes down to it that my old rg570 will always be my favorite so not just the feel and play of a guitar but also the look can make a big difference in wheather you feel the price is worth it.

Tags
alder bodies , beautiful guitar , charvel model , clean tone , custom guitar , custom jem , electric guitar , fender strat , finger board , flame maple , floating trems , gibson les paul , guitar playing , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jem neck , les paul , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , mahogony body , maple neck , music store , paf pro , paf pros , patrick eggle , pickup cavities , playing guitar , prestige necks , production model , prs mccarty , seymour duncan , signature guitar , sounding guitar , steve morse , steve vai , super strat , van halen , yjm strat , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in