does any JEM feel more "80īs"? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

does any JEM feel more "80īs"?

just thinking about it. is there any JEM that feels more like an 80īs superstrat than a 90īs great-for-just-about-any-style guitar? I mean, the JEMs ARE good for any style (as are my other alternatives) and that's not what I'm after. I'm out for a guitar that will still look and feel classic as I grow older and I'm thinking that the superb-access-to-even-the-highest-frets-without-effort might not give that feel. Am I being sillier than usual (especially considering I won't be buying any guitars within at least a couple of months)?
I think the block heel (and the standard Edge trem) has the upper hand in the looks department. On the other hand, Jackson Soloists manage to look pretty classic without a heel...

Ok, I'll put it like this: I'm a confused b*****d trying to find out if a JEM is for me, while wondering why the h*** there aren't more maple fretboards where I want them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM

I'll be honest: i don't know what you're talking about, but i think that the neon coloured 777's are the most 80's of the jems...Usually by classic, people tend to mean strats, les pauls and ES335's...if for you a jem or a soloist is classic enough than why not get a 7VWH or an FP, or a UV for that matter?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

well, it's weird, I don't want a classic as in Les Paul (yuck!) or standard strat. I want a classic as in a guitar that I'll still be taking down from the hanger in 20 years and won't feel stupid for having.

I guess that for a bolt-on, this means that I don't want a neck-through feel. I've tried an FGM100 and it felt like a bolt-on with a comfier heel but I'm concerned that with a thin 24-fret neck (like on the 7VWH) this would change.

With neck-through guitars this is different for some reason. don't ask me why though...

this really makes me feel quite weird...
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:06 PM

Listen to Pawel... any of the first Jems, SK, LNG, or DSY...

80's look and good for all genre of music.

Gabe
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 AM

If you're turned off by the neon colors, track down a 777VBK. It's all black with a green vine inlay on rosewood. If you must have a maple board, the 77BFP is a great looking guitar also.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerKr
well, it's weird, I don't want a classic as in Les Paul (yuck!) or standard strat. I want a classic as in a guitar that I'll still be taking down from the hanger in 20 years and won't feel stupid for having.
The Jem line has been cursed with colors that are the "avacado green" of the 70's. Neon guitars look silly now, and they probably will in the future. Even when neon green guitars looked good and sold well there was still alot to be said about a good 'burst.

The escapees from the "avacado green asylum" are available though. The PBK comes to mind; very classic looking guitar. The VWH is pretty much the shoe-in winner for a classic Jem that we'll all acknowledge as such in time.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:48 AM

The JEM line have been running for 15 years now and I'm sure there's many forum members that have owned one for just that long. Do any of these people feel ashamed of their 15 year old JEMs? I don't think so. There wouldn't even be a Jemsite if these guitars weren't able to stand the test of time. The used prices also indicate that JEMs are just as popular now as they were when they were first released to the market.

I for one am sure that I will enjoy my JEMs long after my ears have fallen off.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 01:52 PM
rvj

My 777DY looks, feels, and sounds 80's. Sure, I've had comments that it is butt ugly, gross looking, etc. But it's neon appearance just screams retro 80's. My current band is doing a bunch of 80's material, and it's tone is perfect. In fact, it sounds better than all my other Jems when doing those old tunes.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:57 PM

I agree with SalemB...I have an LNG, a 777DY, and now an SK. They are the first guitars you see when you walk in my house and turn the corner. While the colors are outta vogue, I proudly play them quite often, both in recording and in public (not the LNG...it doesn't leave my home).
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 01:58 AM

jem 10, now thats classic
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 03:47 AM

The most 80's jem would probably be an 87,88,or 89.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 08:32 AM

A 777 jem is nowdays not as popular of the jem7VWH. If Steve Vai decides to play again the old 777 when evo becomes too old you will see the price of the 777 go up.
The same happened with the Les Paul and Slash.

conclusion: don't buy a type of jem because someone els likes to play it. I buy Jemguitars because I like them. I don't care what the others think of my Jems...To be honest I like it when they say Jems are ugly...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
To be honest I like it when they say Jems are ugly...
It just means that if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you've got 20/20 vision.

Then there are those who say swirls are ugly (I'll confess I've seen some that really didn't look that good).
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 06:58 PM

If everybody liked jems, I wouldn't have my Jem777DY. The guy who owned it, sold his jem to me because he didn't liked the color! Hipeeeee!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerKr
I guess that for a bolt-on, this means that I don't want a neck-through feel. I've tried an FGM100 and it felt like a bolt-on with a comfier heel but I'm concerned that with a thin 24-fret neck (like on the 7VWH) this would change.

:
Errr...maybe iīm wrong, but isnīt the Soloist a neck thru guitar? I think it is...

Tags
edge trem , fret neck , guitar shop , jackson soloist , les paul , les pauls , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck pickup , neck thru , playing guitar , sharkfin inlays , steve vai , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode