Does this JEM777DY look legit? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Does this JEM777DY look legit?

I am new to the whole Jem world. Always wanted one, never able to afford. This guy from the bay is selling the guitar I want badly.

# 190439993361

However, I have some concerns. The bridge pickup looks like a different color than the rest. Also, no writing on the back of the headstock, but not sure if that is normal.

He said he would work with me below the asking price. I am not even sure what this thing is worth, but I know that $2,470 is ridiculous. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks !

SHOOT, SORRY. I just saw the post above on no new "is this fake" threads. MODS, PLEASE DELETE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Re: Does this JEM777DY look legit?

Looks pretty legit to me.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will be along ina bit to confirm or deny. Looks lush
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Reviews: 37

it is legit but not worth the money.
the nec k was cracked and repaired due to the tell tell signs and it has a huge neck pocket crack to boot.
it lookes like it was abused and a crappy restore to sell .

get another one.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:03 PM
NSR

Looks like a bedroom player. Colour is still vibrant but it's had a couple of knocks. No buckle rash from what I see. Fairly common Neck Joint Finish Crack (NJFC) about 1.5 inches on bass side, cannot see the treble side. Selector tip replaced. Single coil *may* have been replaced (usually they're pink underneath, not black). Bridge humbucker very likely to have been replaced (see how the neck bucker has 2 holes on one side and 1 hole on the other on each bobbin, standard for the era but different on the bridge). Selector tip non-original. Strap pins look like mixed replacements. Fretboard needs a good clean. Back of neck / headstock may have been stained, but could just be the light.

Other than that, yes it looks legit and way over priced in my opinion.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Seller said he would take $1,600, but I may pass on this one due to some of the issues noted above. Thanks, guys!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Its also got a broken trem post.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The OP has placed this question in the proper forum under IS THIS A FAKE JEM/UV??? How & where to ask! ***NO NEW THREADS ON FAKES***
Since there are not supposed to be any new threads on fakes, all replies should go there as well.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The OP has placed this question in the proper forum under IS THIS A FAKE JEM/UV??? How & where to ask! ***NO NEW THREADS ON FAKES***
Since there are not supposed to be any new threads on fakes, all replies should go there as well.
Lol alaskabat, 90% of your postings seem to involve lecturing people to post in the right place or to 'Use the Search' Function
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM View Post
Lol alaskabat, 90% of your postings seem to involve lecturing people to post in the right place or to 'Use the Search' Function
That's because 90% of the noobs don't bother to read the rules before posting, and someone in the Jemsite chain-of-command went to great lengths to add the search function to avoid a spoon-fed approach to Q&A. My replies aren't meant to be lectures, they're roadmaps to Jemsite happiness...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM

except you are not part of the chain of command. And no one went through great length, its part of vBulletin
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPM View Post
+1
I have used the SEARCH function, read the rules before posting. LO
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiatarded View Post
+1
I have used the SEARCH function, read the rules before posting. LO
...and you reply still has nothing to do with the OP--classic.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Meh. I'd probably pass and wait for a better example. This one's not too bad, but not worth what he wants. If you're willing to pull the trigger, I'd ask him to go down another $100 just for the lack of the original case.

Tags
jem777dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode