does low-pro edge tremolo support using 5 springs or just 3? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

does low-pro edge tremolo support using 5 springs or just 3?

I've spoken to Rich about it but I'm a little unsure still, as I didn't want to bother him very much on the phone.

I already have three springs on my trem, but the .10 guage strings I'm using still pull the action up too high, so I ordered two more 52mm springs from Rich.

I'm just curious if, since there's only three aparent spring holes, I can just use the screw holes to place another (4th) spring in the tremolo. If I used one of the screw holes for a spring, I wouldn't be able to put the little spring tang plate back on...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:05 AM

the one in my 3120 has 5 holes in it (iirc)

but anyway, ive used 10s in my old edge forever, and it never pulled to high if setup properly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 AM

Re: does low-pro edge tremolo support using 5 springs or jus

Ive used five springs in edge equipped guitars that had 11 gauge strings on them. That would be the only real reason to have so many sprignngs in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem2k5
I've spoken to Rich about it but I'm a little unsure still, as I didn't want to bother him very much on the phone.

I already have three springs on my trem, but the .10 guage strings I'm using still pull the action up too high, so I ordered two more 52mm springs from Rich.

I'm just curious if, since there's only three aparent spring holes, I can just use the screw holes to place another (4th) spring in the tremolo. If I used one of the screw holes for a spring, I wouldn't be able to put the little spring tang plate back on...

Thanks
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM

First, did you follow the tech section(s) here and at Rich's site(s) to set up the trem?

If so and you still can't get it level, more springs is your only option . . .

The spring retainer is a "safe guard" against the springs popping off, unless you're VERY violent with your trem, the odds that any springs will come off the block during use are slim.

I've used my trems both with and without and retainer and have never had a spring pop off, and I am a self-declaired bar abuser (I've broken not only the bar many times, I've broken a bridge.) It CAN happen, but not as easily as you think.

Check out "All About EVO" on www.vai.com, Steve doesn't use the retainer on his guitars and he's the King of "Vai-olent" trem abuse. :-)

Safe to say, use the screw holes for your extra springs, if you find them popping off you have two options . .

Use three, shorter springs or . . .

Try to find springs with hog-rings on both ends. They DO make them, I just have no idea where to find them.

Get two of these "double-ringed" springs and use the screws for the retainer to hold them, and the retainer, in place.

Mic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Vendor

The tang on the springs are angled backward, it's near impossible to throw a modern spring
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
First, did you follow the tech section(s) here and at Rich's site(s) to set up the trem?

Mic
Yeah, if you've got three springs on the guitar and just 10's it's hard to believe that more springs are your answer. Before you put more springs in it hit that tech section and start over one more time. Go here specifically:
http://jemsite.com/tech/t_1setup.htm#step1

You can always shim the neck a bit if you can't get any space to pull up.

jim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Vendor

I just reviewed the pic you sent. Claw screwed all the way to the body, 3 springs in arrow formation. Are you sure you're not trying to get the Lo Pro baseplate level with the top of the body? That's not the correct angle if you are
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 03:22 PM

I've got 11's with a low 60 on my Uni and 3 springs hold that flat.

re: what Rich said, sounds like the springs may be strained, I find if you can pull the springs slightly in your hands without a GREAT deal of effort you may need some new ones.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Now it all makes sense. This is my first guitar to have a low-pro edge trem, so I wasn't sure about the angled top.

The knife edge is lined up perfectly, so there's not really a problem. I just don't like having to have my screws all the way in, so when those two springs arrive I'll probably replace two of my current springs (in case they're just a little stretched) to see if I can get some screw leeway.

I currently have the three springs in arrow formation. Should I keep them like this or space them out so they run parallel with each other?

Thanks a bunch for all of your help and information!

~nick
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Vendor

Arrow formation just allows the springs to exert more tension.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I figured...and since they're in arrow and still have to be all the way in, they're probably stretched or something. I'll let you know if I need any more springs and will paypal you the cost.

Thanks, Rich.

~nick

Tags
edge trem , equipped guitar , gauge strings , guage strings , pro edge , pro edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode