Does the VSBL have an inferiority complex? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Does the VSBL have an inferiority complex?

What the heck is going on lately? It used to be "Yup, I'm the VSBL and I'm new and I'm cool and maybe you can't see my vine but I'm 100 bucks more than the VWH (though I don't know why) and my hardware is cool too".

Have you guys noticed that ever since Hoshino (in it's infinite wisdom) blew the VSBL out their butts at the MF Jem 99 cents Fire Sale that all of a sudden a VSBL isn't so cool? I don't get it. This is a great guitar. I've owned both and IMO the VSBL and VWH are the best Jem's I've ever played. Maybe it's just me but if Hoshino blew out VWH's (and BTW why didn't they????) would they fall off the pedestal too?

Oh and Hoshino - you're on my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

I check MF every day, waiting for the VWH to be "blown out" as well. I own a brand new VSBL, but I got it elsewhere, and for less than MF was selling it for. If the VWH gets blown out, I'm all over it. If my guitars are to be deemed not cool anymore, so be it. I'm happy with them.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 10:24 PM

Not sure where you're getting the "not so cool" noise from...? The color's a bit weird, but that vibe's been around since the guitar's inception.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:44 PM

If I had the five grand sitting around for one, I'd pounce on it. You guys are so lucky to have a market big enough to allow blowouts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

Well Petie, if there's a blowout sale again, I'll gladly make the purchase for you, then ship it on over.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:03 AM

Hehe, that's awesome. And if you ever want a kangaroo, let me know.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Banned

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:39 AM

but i'm your man if your in the market for a tassie devil
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the third eye
but i'm your man if your in the market for a tassie devil
*refrains from 'map of Tassie' joke*
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:47 AM

LOL
2 heads are better than 1
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 04:11 AM

Oi Petie, watch yerself, I'll tell Steve Irwin on ya for the kangaroo sending!
He'd be mighty pissed I reckon.

Wow, sydney, melbourne and tassie....You guys haven't happened to have seen a USRG10 lying around have you? (kinda looking for one)

Anyway, back on topic, the blue Jem doesn't really do it for me. Much of a muchness, it's just the plain white jem in blue, without an ebony board. I'd prefer the VWH but that's just me. I think there was a bit of disappointment for some of us (well me) when the much anticipated new jem with a vine inlay came out and was sparkly blue with a white pickguard. Don't get me wrong, I like the guitar and reckon it looks sweet. But I prefer the VWH.

wil..
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 04:22 AM

i usually buy stuff from the US (always works out cheaper)
but if i see one i'll let you know

back to topic:
i agree, for some reason the vsbl just doesn't attract me
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:28 AM

I dont think it has an inferiority complex, just maybe MF wanted to shift the 2002 Lo-Pro models before the Edge Pro came in?
Are you sure Hoshino had anything to do with it?

Perhaps it was also a loss leader for the MF site to get people's attention

off topic since you guys are here
What is the Jem turnover in Oz? Are there many about? (apart from the ones you guys have
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:43 AM

I suspect that the whole blowout sale thing started because Hoshino had loads of VSBLs around and they couldn't get rid of them before the shipments of 2k3 models arrived.
This means that the VSBL=not cool thing came before the sale.

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 06:04 AM

Not exactly sure what the Jem turnover is here in Australia. There are a few about. But I don't see many of them being played by local bands or anything. Even I only use my RG for pub gigs (jem never leaves the house).

In the past 10 or so years I've seen maybe 2 second hand jems in as many guitar shops. One was a 77FP with original edge (which my friend bought, and which was stolen), and one of those DSY (yellow jems) selling for an incredible amount. I've only ever seen 1 second hand universe in the stores (BK w/ green dots).

I only recently purchased my first jem, a jem2kDNA (#285 of 300). Which I bought brand new. It had been sitting in a glass case at Australis (Ibanez distributors here).

After my mates 77FP was stolen he had to order a new one (with lo-pro edge), it took 6months to arrive (Australis had no stock at the time).

I believe last year a brand new 90th was still available, but may have been sold already.

The next guitar I order in will most probably be a Jem 7VWH. And it will most probably still have a lo-pro. Which is fine with me .
(still wanting a fixed bridge USRG10 though)

wil..

Tags
ebony board , fixed bridge , guitar shop , maple neck , music store , pearloid pickguard , pro edge , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode