Donnie guitar and SPINAL TAP - Nigel Tufnel has good taste. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Donnie guitar and SPINAL TAP - Nigel Tufnel has good taste.

Check this out:

It's a Donnie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:58 AM

Donnie guitar and SPINAL TAP

He was featured in Guitar World Magazine here in the US with that Donnie back in the early/mid '90s. *I'll see if I can dig up the issue this weekend.

J
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:05 PM
Vendor

St. Hubbins (or whatever his name is) also has one, so there's 2 in that band :biggrin:
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 05:03 AM

Spinal Tap... :laugh:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 10:12 PM

Does it have eleven strings?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 07:33 PM

hqahaha lol:rotf:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 10:02 AM

On the live dvd, st Hubbins plays his Donnie on some songs.

Guy
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 08:32 PM

spinal tap...hehehe

I never got the whole spinal tap think...here in the UK, everyone ive asked says they dont really exist...and it was just for the film...but...they have albums and stuff..i dont get it...did they tour? what a joke...and the other day i saw pictures of satch playing with spinal tap!! on the satriani site... this confused me... someone please explain!!!

Rob
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:12 AM

They are a real band.

However, that's only because, due to some legal quirk, in order to retain the name and branding of the band they must tour / create records.

The band members are actually famous actors / voice actors (the bassist works on The Simpsons!) but they're all very skilled musicians.

It's like Satriani himself has said; in order to play that badly you need to know how to play superbly! haha He (jokingly perhaps) listed Tuffnel as his guitar hero in a Guitarist magazine mini-review. That was a coupla years ago tho. I guess he really is a fan if he's played with them

I've got the first film on DVD, and it's superb with lots of extras.

Can anyone tell me if the second film is any good? I've seen the DVD for sale and the extras are non-existant..

Also, just remembered that they played at the Tribute to Freddy concert in the 90's, and I believe they actually did have a genuine technical difficulty with Tuffnel's amp, tho most ppl probably assumed they were taking the p*ss
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrpoop
They are a real band.

The band members are actually famous actors / voice actors (the bassist works on The Simpsons!) but they're all very skilled musicians.
Believe it or not, Nigel Tufnell is played by Christopher Guest, who is actually... the Fifth Baron Haden-Guest of Saling, and is married to Jamie Lee Curtis! He writes, directs and all sorts as well as being Nigel
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:36 AM

It's the same guy that plays the doctor in court in "A few good man". I didn't know that just until recently. I though the face looked familiar, but that's all.

I cannot believe it's the same guy from the fluffy hair in the satch tapes..:-)
But I guess it is..
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 12:38 PM

did u know that the bass player does many voices for the simosons? the onnes i can think of of the bat are Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, and the bass player of spinal tap when they did an episode. but there is more.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Believe it or not, Nigel Tufnell is played by Christopher Guest, who is actually... the Fifth Baron Haden-Guest of Saling, and is married to Jamie Lee Curtis! He writes, directs and all sorts as well as being Nigel
i did not know that. so, i guess i can be an astronomer AND play in a really bad band .
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, Nigel Tufnell is played by Christopher Guest, who is actually... the Fifth Baron Haden-Guest of Saling,
This I did not know. I knew his name, but not the Baron part. Weird!

Quote:
and is married to Jamie Lee Curtis! He writes, directs and all sorts as well as being Nigel
Knew this too (talented bloke - makes me sick), and one of my favourite acting roles for him was the 6-fingered villain in "The Princess Bride". Not seen him in many other roles though..

David St Hubbins on the other hand is a very familiar actor, makes me wonder how he has time to fit in Spinal Tap duties..
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef
did u know that the bass player does many voices for the simosons? the onnes i can think of of the bat are Ned Flanders, Mr. Burns, and the bass player of spinal tap when they did an episode. but there is more.
He was also Weiland Smithers.

And he was also in Wayne's World 2..........you know.....Handsome Dan

Tags
darren wilson , nigel tufnel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode