Double Edge Question! Need Help! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Double Edge Question! Need Help!

Hi Everyone,

Here's my Dilemma: I have a JEM 7VSBL (the sparkle blue JEM) and I had put a Double Edge Piezo in it. I wired it up, very cool. Acoustic sounds were awesome and it looked and felt like a normal JEM. However, I don't care for the neck on this particular JEM. I played a new JEM 7VW (the white one) and I loved the neck. I would very much like to sell my blue one, and get the white one instead.

But....

I would like to do the Double Edge tremolo in the white JEM. Problem is, I want to retain the "white with Gold Hardware look" to it... Is there a way to take the "guts" out of the Double Edge that is the Cosmo Chrome color, and put them into the Gold Edge Pro trem? I would even go so far as to see if just the saddles could go but I really like the look of the gold hardware so if "most" of the Gold Edge Pro was still gold and only the saddles were different, I could gladly live with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Re: Double Edge Question! Need Help!

I can appreciate that guitars aren't exactly exactly the same to the very millimetre, but aren't the VHW & SBL the same spec - technically?

Or is this a new VWH with a rosewood board? By which I mean, what can possibly be the difference between the VWH and the SBL?? Surely they are the "same" neck - in terms of how they were intended to leave the factory.

Several less complex solutions present themselves:

1) Get a new neck
2) Get the VSBL set up properly so it plays like the VWH
3) Have the VSBL fretboard replaced to match the VWH specs

In regards to answering your question to the letter, I don't know. But unless I'm being dense, I'm struggling to see what the VWH offers in terms of playability that you can't get out of the VSBL, if they are indeed identically specced....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I can appreciate that guitars aren't exactly exactly the same to the very millimetre, but aren't the VHW & SBL the same spec - technically?

Or is this a new VWH with a rosewood board? By which I mean, what can possibly be the difference between the VWH and the SBL?? Surely they are the "same" neck - in terms of how they were intended to leave the factory.

Several less complex solutions present themselves:

1) Get a new neck
2) Get the VSBL set up properly so it plays like the VWH
3) Have the VSBL fretboard replaced to match the VWH specs

In regards to answering your question to the letter, I don't know. But unless I'm being dense, I'm struggling to see what the VWH offers in terms of playability that you can't get out of the VSBL, if they are indeed identically specced....
Thanks for the reply...

I have heard from other people that the VSBL isn't the same. There are some subtle nuances that are different. The main one that I can think of is the fact that my VSBL actually has a lacquer finish to it. Not - totally glossy but there is some kind of finish on there. The VWH is pretty bare - satin finished at best. i had both guitars side-by-side and there is definitely a difference. I would love to just get the VWH neck but it's upwards of $800 and if I want the headstock to match we're talking about another $200 at least.

Doesn't really seem worth it... But it's really strange - the VSBL feels very different. And, it was before I changed the bridges out that I noticed that.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 PM

I have a 2003 7vsbl and 2006 7vwh and the necks feel indentical to me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
You do know the 06 neck is 2mm wider?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
Mine is a 2001 VSBL - playing against a 2007 7VWH I noticed a difference. I did buy the blue one used so, I dunno - maybe the previous owner did something. The 2007 had the "skunk stripe" neck and it feels smoother....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

From memory, I've sanded the gloss off the back of a VWH neck before. I think they've been made both ways.

It was very easy, I masked the volute at the back of the headstock so the gloss ended where the wood colour changed, and started with heavy grit down to a wet, fine sandpaper.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
From memory, I've sanded the gloss off the back of a VWH neck before. I think they've been made both ways.

It was very easy, I masked the volute at the back of the headstock so the gloss ended where the wood colour changed, and started with heavy grit down to a wet, fine sandpaper.
Not a bad idea really... but I guess the question still begs: Can you place the Double Edge guts in an Edge Pro trem of a different color? I'm just curious here...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM

I don't know about the bridge but I would highly recommend taking the gloss off with some fine sandpaper and taking it from there.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Vendor

The question really is, has anybody put Lo Pro saddles on an Edge Pro base. And the answer is, I don't think anybody has ever even tried.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The question really is, has anybody put Lo Pro saddles on an Edge Pro base. And the answer is, I don't think anybody has ever even tried.
Rich, I figured as much... I was just curious. If anyone would know, I guess you would! I'll probably go with the option of sanding down the neck a bit...

Thanks to all that posted here!

BTW - Rich, do you have any 7VWH necks for sale?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Vendor

Only 58mm heel, none in 56mm.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Only 58mm heel, none in 56mm.
Maybe THAT'S what I don't care for on my 7SBL! I think the slightly wider fretboard feels a little better.... hmmm... JEM 7SPBL going up on the bay this eve?

Tags
double edge trem , edge pro trem , edge trem , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode