Dropping EMG's into JEM7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Dropping EMG's into JEM7VWH: Updated w/ Working Sound Clip

I was thinking about dropping some EMG's into my JEM7VWH. I do know that EMG's use a 9V Battery. Which brings me to my question. Is there ANY WAY that i can drop those pickups without routing to the body? I REALLY don't want to have to take any chunks out of my baby. I do know that EMG sells a preassembled pickguard assembly. While I do know that this is made for strat style guitars, and that it wouldn't fit into my JEM anyways, this got me to thinkking. Because it seemed like everything including the battery, was tucked under the pickguard neatly, can I do this with a JEM/RG style pickguard, to have everything including the battery under the pickguard?

Last edited by latinjem7vwh; 07-04-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:14 AM

I have EMGs in my 550 and the whole lot is under the pickguard and no routing was needed. I expect this will also apply to the jem.
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Don't ruin your Jem!

RG550s are cheap enough and perfectly acceptable to defile. Jem7s are not.

~K
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 PM

you can always put the Evo's back man...its not as if its perminant or anything...
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Well i know of one member on the site whos got emgs in a vwh. ITs a simple mod, but just make sure you get a matching input jack from emg. THe one they typically send will require you modifying the guitar. Other than that the mod is 100% reversible. Youll basically only have to remove the input jack wires and the ground wire, to get the electronics out. More power to you bro
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't do it, VWH is a nice and pricey guitar, the mods are not that big, but I'd leave it the way it is...If you do it though, make sure you get white EMG's...
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:54 PM

Hmmm...in all the Ibanez guitars I've put EMGs in (including a Jem) I have always just used the stock Ibanez jack that was in the guitar.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 02:07 PM

the stock ibanez jack is sterio ie. 3 prongs and thats what you need
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Fry

Its your guitar, I think that if you want to customize that that is cool. Some people don't like the idea of putting emgs in jems for some reason, but you bought the guitar for a lot of money, so you should have it the way you want it.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:11 AM

To evaluate the pickups, you can drop in the EMG and harness without routing, and just route the battery compartment later if you decide you want to make it a permanent mod later on.

If you do make this change, please post pics!

Good luck.
wemedge
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Kennydoe, who ever said that I was going to ruin my JEM? I just wanted to change the pickups, w/o the painful routing. To be honest, I don't care for that atrocious red & black swirled pickguard on your Universe. If I had a Uni (I will get one this summer ), I would do something different, but hey that's your thing and that's cool. I just didn't want to rain on your parade (did I say that right?) by saying something negative when you posted pics of your Uni with the swirled pickguard. I just wanted information on my question, not a negative comment. I would only do mods to a guitar of this calibur if they were reversible. I plan on buying a SEPERATE pickguard so I can mount the EMG's onto. I want to do it that way because I don't want to ruin the stock pickguard on my JEM. So I am not "ruining" my JEM, I'm just changing it because I am finding that my musical interests are changing (I'm still always gonna be a shred man), and I don't want to leave my JEM behind. I want my JEM to evolve with my musical interests (Melodic Metal a la Inflames, but with shred solos).
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinjem7vwh
I want my JEM to evolve with my musical interests (Melodic Metal a la Inflames, but with shred solos).
Nice EMGs in a VWH would definitely do that

And remember, it's your guitar, so go for it
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 PM

Ive just use some electronic skotch tape sealing the battery and then fitted it in som free area under the P-Guard, you can use the battery for a long time and even longer if you remember to always unplug when not in use. Then just match a new restring when its time to make the battery change
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 09:09 AM

I love the way my JEM sounds.. but it's always lacked this quality to the tone i've been searching endlessly for.. i found it in EMG's.. some people start going OH NO ur not copying steve you must be insane.. like it's a jem style treason thing lol.. but yea EMG's are FANTASTIC pickups and sound great if thats the sound your after.

much more liquid feeling to the touch aswell when your playing they seem to add a compressed liquidy fluid feeling to those legatto runs even more so than Evo's..
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 12:25 PM

I only hope that you go for white EMG's

Tags
bare knuckle pickups , black pickups , dual recto , ibanez guitars , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , les paul , mahogany body , paf pro , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode