Dueling Jems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Dueling Jems

Well, I got my 77FP, 2003, and it is absolutely mint. Could not be happier. I am a really big Charvel fan, but you just cannot argue with the playability of these Jems....Awesome guitars.

Shawn in Tampa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 AM

Re: Dueling Jems

Nice! They complement eachother well in that picture. I've always loved the FP and the same goes for the VWH. Congrats.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Nice! They complement eachother well in that picture. I've always loved the FP and the same goes for the VWH. Congrats.
Thanks! Really glad to have acquired it. Love playing both of them, lots of sonic territory covered for sure.

Shawn
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:51 AM

Very nice pictures.

Nothing like a wall of jems. It's a great combination, and I totally agree with you when you say it's a lot of sonic territory. Two very different sounding guitars IMHO.

I'm getting my FP back from a refret soon. You're making me jealous already.

Christopher.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Lovely guitars Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris From Singapore.
........ Two very different sounding guitars IMHO.
Christopher.
Hi Chris - can you expand on that? I haven't bought a Jem yet, and I'm interested in what you feel the differences are, sound wise, between these two.

Thanks,

Rich
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS
Lovely guitars Shawn

Hi Chris - can you expand on that? I haven't bought a Jem yet, and I'm interested in what you feel the differences are, sound wise, between these two.

Thanks,

Rich
Different pickups (PAFs in FP, Evos in 7V), different body woods (Basswood in FP, Alder in 7V) different fingerboard material (Rosewood in FP, Ebony in 7V), different neck profiles (i think?).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM

I've found that the PAF Pro pickups make the floral very responsive to subtle pick attack changes, so I use it a lot on bluesy material. That's certainly not the only thing it's good for, but I like it more than the vwh when it comes to that style. Feel-wise, the biggest difference you'll notice is the neck joint, one having All Access, the other a straight bolt-on. Hope that answers some of your comparison questions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 AM

True Beauties Love those FP's (what a surprise) Never get tired of looking at them. RichS...as Andelusion said - PAF pro's in the FP and EVO's in the VWH. Very different sounding Pups. The EVOS' are great for Lead, but IMHO the PAF's are better rhythm PUP's. Both very good Pups though. If the 7VWH is a 2003 or earler model, it it will have the Ebony fretboard. Otherwise both the FP and the 7VWH will have the Rosewood. (not sure why Ibanez went to Rosewood on the VWH unless it was to cut costs) I like the feel of the Ebony better, plus it's darker and looks better with the vine (IMHO) One big thing I do miss when I play my FP compared to my VWH is the AANJ. Anyhow, they are both GREAT axes and you cannot go wrong with either
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:58 AM

To me the 3 greatest differences are as follows.

The bodywood, Alder Vs. Basswood.

The pickups, PAF Pros Vs. Evolutions.

The finish, White paint Vs. the floral printed cloth.

I guess the last one is just me being my anal self when it comes to gear. But I've felt the Florals to be a very responsive guitar, rich in midrange, why I love so much. The VWHs I felt to be *I hate to use the word Harsh*, but possibly more suited to high gain tones. The high output Evolutions can really really drive your tone, some people like this factor.

I've always loved the neck profiles of florals, but Ibanez might have changed the profile over the years. The model I have is about ten years old already.

It's all ice cream
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
...... One big thing I do miss when I play my FP compared to my VWH is the AANJ...
yes, yes and yes!!!
Ibanez should know this and start a new production of FP's with AANJ.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:53 PM

That photo really brings the vine out on the FP, I love the green vines they look so sweet.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba200ft
Thanks! Really glad to have acquired it. Love playing both of them, lots of sonic territory covered for sure.

Shawn
My name is Shawn too. The FP has always been my favorite Jems.
I like the VWH next then the PBK. So you have my 2 favorite Jems.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Andelusion, dlp777, JJEMMER777, Chris

Thanks for the feedback guys

I was aware that they had different pickups and were made of different woods, but not actually having had the opportunity to compare them myself, I guess I was asking what the notable sonic difference was between the FP and the VWH...

...and you've answered that for me - many thanks

Here in Scotland, I'll be hard pressed to find an FP to try out, so it's great to hear your comments.

Right now, I'm thinking that I prefer the looks of the VWH but might actually prefer the softer/warmer(?) sound of the Floral.
Also I really like the AANJ on my RG550, so that's another point in favour of the VWH.

That said, with all that's wrong in this world, it's great to have decisions like these...

Cheers,

Rich
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS
Andelusion, dlp777, JJEMMER777, Chris

That said, with all that's wrong in this world, it's great to have decisions like these...

Cheers,

Rich
Ahmen brother

The VWH is a great guitar...but soo is the FP...ahhhh decisions, decisions. Either way you go with this, you will be a happy camper

BTW - I think the FP's are the coolest looking guitars I have ever seen. They remind me of the original animated - Alice in Wonderland, lol.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Be like Shawn GET THEM BOTH! LOL!

Tags
ebony fretboard , high gain tones , neck joint , paf pro , paf pro pickups , paf pros , pro pickups , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode