Durability of JS10 Chrome guitars - can these baby's be play - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Durability of JS10 Chrome guitars - can these baby's be play

Hey all. I'm just about to get a JS10th and was wondering, from people who have actually been *using* their 10ths, as opposed to keeping them as collectors pieces, - how long have you been playing them, how regularly and how has the finish stood up over time?

These guitars look too cool and I'd be heartbroken if I bought it and then just had to spend my time looking and not touching!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Durability of JS10 Chrome guitars

I retired mine a while back due to the increasing number of finish scratches. It seems that it doesn't scratch much more easily, just that the scratches show up more.
jono is online  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:40 PM

Mine sat in it's case for 6 months before I started to play it. I figured that I may as well play it, or why have it at all. I don't gig with it, I do mostly studio work in my home and I'm really careful with my equipment...ask Rich!

As for the finish, it's fine, no unusual wear. As I noted in another post, I use canned air to get the fine dust off and I use a very soft cloth to wipe off the smudges...no worries.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:47 PM

HI!
I've been playin' my 10th for a year now. Bought it new and unused from a dealer in Europe. Been playing it daily for a couple of hours. It's got *one nasty scratch.. about 1/2 cm. of chrome are gone, where I use to rest my underarm. Bur the rest of the finnish "stays on". No problememos!

Ola
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 05:04 PM
Ibanez endorsed

I have not gigged out with mine yet. I have only had it a couple months or so. I use it for studio stuff and it works great. No wear or chrome missing.

In January I will be getting my band going again and I WILL take this guitar out to gig with a little. Its just too incredible not to!! *

Rikk
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 08:39 AM

I've had mine for like 6months or something - bought it new from a dealer in europe(I live in denmark btw), I use it all the time, it's my main player. I've gigged with it, no problems.

however, I don't sweat much when I play and I use dunlop Jazz III picks, they are small, and I never hit the finish with them so no pick scratches. *So there's actually no problems at all with it - I've heard rumors about the finish coming off and stuff like that, I'll believe it when I see it!.

mike
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 06:35 PM

To bad they seem to scratch pretty easy, how is it with the crystal planet then ?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 06:55 PM
Ibanez endorsed

They dont scratch any easier than any other guitar. Its just that in certain light the scratches show up better. If you look at Satch's guitar in some pictures it looks MINT then in other light it looks VERY used. It has to be one of the most beautiful guitars I have owned. I would say the top three would be:

1) my JEM10

2) my JS10

3) my 1993 24 fret custom 10 top PRS

The JS10 is a killer guitar. Plus if you put one of the "Kling-on" static gards over it when playing live you will NEVER get a scratch on it!!! *The gards are see through and protect the guitar perfectly!!

Rikk
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 08:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
rikkbeatty on 5:55 pm on Nov. 23, 2001
They dont scratch any easier than any other guitar. Rikk
*cough* bull sh*t
*cough* My hands are usually pu$$ified (soft) from working on the computer all day, and I can scratch a Chromeboy by just rubbing my finger in one spot. Try that with clearcoat, yup, no scratches! The chrome will also come off from a bump, scrape, ding, etc. I have one here now missing a small spot.
Rich is online  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 08:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Jay Satriani on 5:35 pm on Nov. 23, 2001
To bad they seem to scratch pretty easy, how is it with the crystal planet then ?
The Crystals are much more durable, as hard to scratch as clearcoat if not tougher. But they will dink and with all the weight and momentum, carefull is still key.
Rich is online  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 02:48 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Not to bash either guitar but if you intend on playing it you will want to check out the tone of each one since neither of them are made out of wood.

I am not much into acrylic guitars but then again I have only played on one. It was a Fender custom shop acrylic and I did not like the tone. The JS10 has a more "usable" tone in my setup (Marshall 1960 cab loaded with greenbacks, 9200 Marshall dual 100 watt head, Digitech 2101LE, Ensoniq DP4, Rocktron Hush, BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer).

But tone is VERY subjectionable so you will want to try them both out I would think before commiting that kind of cash. There are plenty of people on this forum that like the tone of the JS10 over the JSY2K and vise versa so the only real way to know for yourself is to try them both out! *

They both LOOK incredible so you cant go wrong there!! *:biggrin:

Rikk
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 12:09 AM

Well..in regards to the JS10th and the Crystal Planet...I've got both, and I love them both. *BUT...lately I prefer the CP tonally. *To my ears, it just has a much thicker tone-seems to have better sustain too. *Tone IS a subjective thing though.

I've also played one of the Fender Custom Shop acrylic Strats. *It did nothing for me. *I've played both the original and reissue Dan Armstrong/Ampeg guitars, and they're a bit better, but they still lack truly great tone. *I'm not sure what the big difference is with the CPs, but..whatever it is, it's a good thing! *
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 12:13 AM
Vendor

I'll definately concur on the Crystals tone. And make a minor correction, Luthite is the 10th's material. I doubt there's actually anything natural about it, I believe it's a totally synthetic material. The Ergodine connection is Ibanez has been making the Ergodine bass line out of Luthite for years.
Rich is online  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 03:37 AM

luthite is an acrylic material

~A
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 03:51 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Maybe we could melt all the guitars down for our wife's nails!! *:-)

Tags
acrylic guitar , beautiful guitar , crystal planet , custom shop , dunlop jazz iii , fender custom shop , ibanez dealer , jem gmc , killer guitar , pickup ring , pickup rings , rocktron hush , sonic maximizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode