The Eagle has landed - I got a UV777BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

The Eagle has landed - I got a UV777BK

Folks, lemme tell you I had THE WORST day at work today, only to come home and find that FedEx had dropped off a [email protected] near MINT UV777BK I bought used for $700.
It's got an EMG in the bridge for now, but original pup was included as well as the Universe case.
It's not setup properly yet, but gimme about 30 minutes and I'll be screaming on it!
Glad to say my day turned around real quik.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 06:14 PM

The Eagle has landed

Congratulations!!! That is an Awesome guitar!
Classy and Flashy,
Have fun exploring the Universe!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:01 PM

The Eagle has landed

Tomizin, Iím playing my UV777BK right now. What a great guitar! I paid a lot more for mine, but I still love it.

Congrats on a great acquisition. When I finally get an MC Iíll be gushing all over this topic as well.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 05:51 AM

The Eagle has landed

Love my UV777Bk! The best 7 I've played LOL

Tomizm:
Could you let me know how the Emg sounds? I've been itching to try one out...thanks man!

Enjoy your new baby!

Chris.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

The Eagle has landed

After playing with the EMG 707, Im pretty sure Im going back to the original to try that out. *There is a huge volume drop with the other pickups. *The way my setup is, for my real dirty channel is actually my Mark IV clean channel EQ'd kinda scooped, with more highs than lows, and a DS-1 running thru that, so the sound of the 7 string is kinda mid crunchy, and I haven't got a real beefy sound just yet. *I'll try out the dirty channel on the amp though with more butt to it and let ya know.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:22 AM

The Eagle has landed

Tom,
What is the condition of the UV? I saw that ad on Harmony Central too but decided not to reply. Just curious if it has condition issues or the seller priced it low...

Either way congrats!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:35 AM

The Eagle has landed

I found that the distance between the strings and the pickups makes a big difference in the volume of the pups on my UV.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:41 AM

The Eagle has landed

Tom can you describe how the emgs sound alone? And how they sound in comparison to the Blaze?

Thanks man!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:51 AM
rgr

The Eagle has landed

Tom,

The reason you get a huge volume drop on the passive pups vs the EMG is that to install an EMG properly you have to use 25K pots for vol and tone. *The passive pups should have 500Ks. *So, if the guy installed the EMG correctly and used the right pots, the smaller value pots are bleeding off alot of the signal from the passives. *Mixing passives and actives can be done but it requires a separate set of controls for each, usually more of a pain than it is worth. *

If you go back to the originals make sure the right pots are in the guitar.

Roger
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:51 AM

The Eagle has landed

EMGs were popular in the 80's but I never liked them. THey always sounded flat and fake to me. *THe advantage is that you get real tone control instead of only rolling off the treble. *On a bass it sounds great but I don't think it suits the frequencies used on a guitar. *But that is just my opinion. *There is a reason though that high priced basses come with that style pickup and high priced guitars (for the most part) don't (at least anymore).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 3
The Eagle has landed

Exactly... for the type of on-board tone controls that most high-end bass manufacturers like to offer, it's best done with active pickups. *Seems most guitarists would rather have the pickup itself do that job and only worry about a volume control. *I must agree, that I think the EMGs sound very fake in guitars. *Seems like the feeling and originallity is sucked out of your tone. *My $0.01 (I'll pay the rest back later, really)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

The Eagle has landed

I totally disassembled the guitar tonite.
Here's maybe why it was so cheap. *The pickguard was routed just a wee bit to fit the EMG. *It was routed to the middle of the pup screw holes. *Not a major problem though. *The EMG was direct mounted (with all the proper pots too) to the body, and that's what I'll have to do with the bridge pup now. *With the Blaze in the bridge, there is not much of a gap around it, so Im not too ticked about the routing, and it was clean cutting too, so it looks factory.
The 5 way switch is not original either, so Im thinking about getting one of those super switches or something.

Other than that the condition is super super clean. *The serial number starts with F97. *Pretty impressive for a 4 year old guitar. *Discounting the EMG issue, I would rate it a 9.8 out of 10.
I will probably have the EMG guts for sale real cheap. As a matter of fact, anyone who wants them make me an offer for it, pots and pickup. *(I'll post an actual ad in the proper thread Glen).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:08 PM
rgr

The Eagle has landed

Cool Tom - had to find somewhere to use that icon.

Put the correct pots in and I'll bet your neck and middle pups sound alot better! *Congrats on the guitar, I still haven't braved the 7-string waters yet, 6 are still confusing enough to me *That would be my 7-string of choice when I get the guts, uh, funds. *

Congrats,
Roger
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

The Eagle has landed

What was on the back of the neck anyway, double sided tape? *I hate that sticky finish. *Came off right away though, no complaints.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:41 PM

The Eagle has landed

Hey Tom, Before replacing those pots you may want to check out those pickups a little better, *I may be mistaken but those arent your typical "high end" EMG's. *I believe the 707's are Hi Z pickups unlike the "popular" 6 string 81's (low impedance)... EMG put out a whole line of what they called selects. *If I remember correctly that is what the 707's were based on. *And if that is the case.. I would sugest putting the Blaze's back in... I Love mine.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode