easier to play on jem than js.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

easier to play on jem than js....

Well, I have been playing on a JS1000 for about 9-10 years and yesterday I got my first jem and its a '03 7vsbl (will try to make a NGD thread with pics). So far I find it easier to play on this guitar. Easier bends, easier to fast pick.

Anybody else got that feeling when they decided to get a JEM after playing many years on a JS? vice versa works too....playing on a JEM for a long time and getting a JS

But that JS also got a sweet sound, I understand now when people make a JS vs JEM thread most say they are 2 different beast.....I agree!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: easier to play on jem than js....

My js has a thicker neck, 22 frets, and pups seem kinda weak...I think it's much easier and more fulfilling playing my Jems and uv's.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Reviews: 11

I dunno...... Dimarzio FREDs are pretty awesome sounding to me. I used to have a JS1 which was stolen, leading me to buy a Les Paul Standard. Very different I know but I was playing mostly rhythm and singing with a lead guitarist doing the chops. Then we went to a 3 piece band and i needed to get a shredder. I was about 7 years without a floating bridged guitar and then I bought a Jem 7VWh, which i absolutely love. Compared to the LP this thing is just so easy to play BUT the LP sounds really awesome through my Marshall and is a great guitar to rock out on. I have trouble soloing past the 12th fret on them, it's like holding a house brick.

I believe that the JS necks are shaped more like the rounded shape on the LP, but maybe not as thick.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM

It depends what you're doing.

For bluesy soloing where you really need to grab the high E and B strings, fret with the sides of your fingers, do lots of double-stops, bend + vibrato, etc, the JS neck lends itself much better to that. The Jem neck is just too wide for my hand to get the same sort of "english" on those strings. However, for thumb-behind-neck fretting, fast scales, etc, the Jem makes it much easier.

I also find the Jem body shape with the pickguard supports the pick hand much better. On the JS, feels like I have to support the right hand much more, which is kind of tiring and awkward.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehYam View Post
It depends what you're doing.

For bluesy soloing where you really need to grab the high E and B strings, fret with the sides of your fingers, do lots of double-stops, bend + vibrato, etc, the JS neck lends itself much better to that. The Jem neck is just too wide for my hand to get the same sort of "english" on those strings. However, for thumb-behind-neck fretting, fast scales, etc, the Jem makes it much easier.

I also find the Jem body shape with the pickguard supports the pick hand much better. On the JS, feels like I have to support the right hand much more, which is kind of tiring and awkward.
If I made my living playing bar gigs every night where I would most likely be playing rhythm 90% of the time, I know which one I'd choose. Hint: not the one I currently own.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
If I made my living playing bar gigs every night where I would most likely be playing rhythm 90% of the time, I know which one I'd choose. Hint: not the one I currently own.
So for those that can't keep track of who owns what... Which one do you have and which one would you have if you were earning your bread on the bar and club circuit?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 9

It's all personal preference. Maybe your JEM is set up better than your JS?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
So for those that can't keep track of who owns what... Which one do you have and which one would you have if you were earning your bread on the bar and club circuit?
I own a Jem. If I had to stand around in a bar playing chords most of the time for two hours, I'd rather have the JS. If I was seriously purchasing a guitar as a tool for this endevour, I would pick neither.

You'll often hear guys complain about hand cramps from thin necks. I always thought that was BS until one day I decided to see for myself. Over the course of a few days I did nothing but play chords out of books and online, play chord progressions with a metronome, finger pick, etc.

I split my time between an older RG that has a maple neck that is about as thick as the the slab of rosewood used as the fretboard, and a Les Paul that has the "slim" 60s neck which is really anything but.

After the end of my experiment, I can tell you that if I had to do that for a living, I'd be buying a vintage spec Tele - one with a thick neck, 7.5 inch radius, and tiny frets. OTOH, there's a reason why Holdsworth's guitar has a 20 inch radius. The right tool for the right job.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
The right tool for the right job.
Definitely. Everybody's hands and playing posture are different, but I think thinner necks generally increase the odds of certain kinds of injuries. My first Ibanez was an RG570 from back in the day, and I couldn't put it down at first because that neck was so sweet and easy to play - but, in about 3 days I started to get sharp wrist pain that I've never experienced in 20 years of playing. So, I tried an RG470, which has a slightly different neck profile, and the pains never came back.

The Jem neck is also a little thicker than what was on the 570's, but it's a little wider too (for increased distance between strings). If I try to play the Jem the same way I do a JS or cheap SZ, my index finger feels like it's going to break. The perfect middle ground for me is the neck on the RG3120 - thin enough to shred like demons, round enough to do single-finger bluesy double-stops, but thick enough to avoid wrist pain. I love my 3120.

I think people overlook how large Vai's hands are - if you're ever at the Guitar Center in Hollywood, make sure you check out the celebrity handprints in the ground. Vai's fingers are crazy long.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehYam View Post
Definitely. Everybody's hands and playing posture are different, but I think thinner necks generally increase the odds of certain kinds of injuries. My first Ibanez was an RG570 from back in the day, and I couldn't put it down at first because that neck was so sweet and easy to play - but, in about 3 days I started to get sharp wrist pain that I've never experienced in 20 years of playing. So, I tried an RG470, which has a slightly different neck profile, and the pains never came back.

The Jem neck is also a little thicker than what was on the 570's, but it's a little wider too (for increased distance between strings). If I try to play the Jem the same way I do a JS or cheap SZ, my index finger feels like it's going to break. The perfect middle ground for me is the neck on the RG3120 - thin enough to shred like demons, round enough to do single-finger bluesy double-stops, but thick enough to avoid wrist pain. I love my 3120.

I think people overlook how large Vai's hands are - if you're ever at the Guitar Center in Hollywood, make sure you check out the celebrity handprints in the ground. Vai's fingers are crazy long.
I've found the old Jem neck shape to be a happy medium as far as thickness goes, but I could do with a smaller radius. Anything requiring barring more than two or three strings and it becomes apparent that a flat radius has its drawbacks.

The human hand's neutral position is curved fingers. Look at the braces used to keep the hands of carpal tunnel sufferers in a neutral position while sleeping. That's why handles for everything tend to be round and not square or triangular.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode