Ebony vs Rosewood but always a JEM7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Ebony vs Rosewood but always a JEM7VWH

Hi,

According to the Ibanez chronicles and different catalog, we saw basswood finger board and ebony finger board on Ibanez JEM guitars.
Even the greatest produced one the 7VWH got ebony until '92 (If I remember right) and it became rosewood until todays.

Ebony is luxary, ok ! but what is the finally result for the jem sound ? Some people say that ebony is a dead wood whithout any property sound or resonnance... but beautiful, that's right. But does it sounds your JEM better or differently ?

Even Steve Vai ! we can see that EVO got different neck but in the end ? Rosewood fingerboard. I suppose that if Mr. Vai would like ebony, ibanez would have made it for him.

---- I don't know if that question was asked before about the JEM7VWH guitars ---

So... I just wonder, if we only consider "the wood & the sound (or sustain)", not the electronics. Which JEM neck sounds better :

- A JEM7VWH with a ebony finger board.

- Or an old JEM7VWH with rosewwod finger board.

If there are some owners for thoses to kind of Jem, I am very very interesting in your opinion.

Thank you.

Manta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 AM

Re: Ebony vs Rosewood but always a JEM7VWH

Fairly certain this is a dead horse topic... see the 7vwh change thread. It's full of people praising and bashing the ebony and rosewood differences tones blah blah. (no offense) I just don't think there is much if any audible tone difference... just listening to a random cd of someone playing... you wouldn't know what fret board they were using... in a jem, the pickups are too hot to tell. (personal opinion, and sorry but I don't think you can ignore the electronics on an electric guitar...) Except on a clean channel...even then. Only difference is in feel. And looks.

Last edited by gnuoy1110; 04-28-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: grammar
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM

I know English isn't your first language, but there are a lot of factual errors in your post. Basswood fretboards? No ebony in the VWH after '92 when it was introduced in '93, etc.

Bottom line is they don't sound too different at all, play what feels best to you. See the stickied thread about the change over.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/20...nge-26602.html
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

No problem guys and sorry for my english language jim.
You wrote me to play what feels best for me ? I answer you that someone would like to sell me his jem 7vwh '97 and another one the same jem '07.
So this is the reason why I asked you my question.

Thanks everyone, and thanks jim for the link.

manta.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Pau Ferro FTW ;p
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM

I own a 97 VWH with ebony board and one piece maple neck, and also a 2011 VWH with rosewood board and 5 piece neck...I can't say much for tonal differences, although maybe the rosewood Jem sounds a bit warmer to my ears...but I will say the 2011 neck shape and quality blows the 97 away....and the 97 was my go-to guitar for 14 years! The new Jems are hands down awesome guitars and I highly recommend buying new if you can.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Reviews: 2

I wouldn't be concerned with the fretboard woods as much as I would the different trems. In the space of two posts I see 3 different trems listed..... a Lo-Pro (1997), an Edge Pro (2007) and an Original Edge (2011).

Manta: the '97 would be my choice because of the Lo-Pro... the ebony board is a nice added bonus.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 PM

Reviews: 11

cost should be your deciding factory, not fretboard material... If one is several hundred cheaper and in decent shape, the choice would be obvious for me. The sound difference will be negligable, especially through distortion.

Im personally an ebony fan, so I like the ebony ones better, but thats not a make or break thing.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Same price for everyone linuxpenguin : 1600 euros (i don't know how much is it in dollars todays).
Of course RGTFanatic there is the lo pro edge. i already know it on my 2 rg550. It's just that it could be my first guitar with ebony fretboard... so i just don't know if it is the same feeling.

the '07 is mint, this is the '97 :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

manta
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Plain and simple.... that '97 would be my choice. That Lo-Pro looks to be in very good shape, especially for it's age and the ebony board is beautiful.

I've played a few Edge-Pro equipped guitars and was never very impressed until I added locking studs to them. With the locking studs the EP is a fine trem that can be very reliable, but most folke will never choose it over a Lo-Pro or an Original Edge.... myself included.

I say that If the two are in near identical condition, your best choice is the '97.

BTW 1600 euros equates to about $45,000 USD in the current market!!!!..........lol
Just kidding.... I think it equates to about $2300-$2400 USD. About the going price for a brand new VWH here in the states ($2400-$2600).
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi folks, another question please

Does anyone can tell me if during all those years the "shape" of JEM neck evolved like the RG models ? I mean wizard, wizard 2, super, ultra... i don't know ?

Did the neck jem 7WH follow asimilar evolution neck

I'm not talking about the "Barless Top-Lok" as Ibanez name it.

So do you think that this '97 JEM has a wizard neck shape ?
I think it's a question for multiple jem owners...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 AM
VVK

Ebony gives more sustain and attack. Even if a listener does not notice this, a player will. This is the fact. I have guitars with both ebony-rosewood fingerboards(not Ibanez-es, but they are the same model with different fingerboards).
Ebony also has more impact when you play notes from 12th to 24th fret, the guitar... signs, probably this is how I can describe this effect.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 AM

I've got ****loads of guitars, maple, ebony, rosewood etc. Nothing beats the rosewood for me now, and i've spent 15 years trying to find the right board. Its funny really, as I always thought of it as an ugly wood and tried my best to escape it. I love the feel of bending on a good rosewood board, whereas the ebony and maple can be just too glassy for me.

Nothing beats the look of ebony though.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Player-perspective wise, I found the Ebony board VWH I had to have too much 'snap' to the sound for what I prefer. The rosewood board VWH I have now is just right for me.
The old 'ice-cream' statement fits here; it's all in what we prefer.

(BTW: the term 'glassy' above seems just the right description - that 'snappiness.' I do have a fondness for maple boards, too, though, as I don't find them as bright and snappy as ebony.)

I also find the character of the look of rosewood interesting; Ebony tends to be more consistently dark throughout, whereas rosewood has varying veins of dark/lighter colour that makes it look a bit more 'organic' - the aesthetics like this are secondary to me, though; I like a solid near-black fretboard as much as the next person, too =]

(Edge Pros don't scare me away, either - locking studs, firmed-up bushing fit, and a handrest over the top negate any difference in feel for me - though I'd say my top pick for Ibanez trems would be the LoPro.)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

And is it Ebony on FLO III ???
Does anyone knows the year of this guitar ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBK...eature=related

Tags
dimarzio , ebony , ibanez , jem7vwh , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode