Ed Roman Guitars and His view on JS guitars... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Ed Roman Guitars and His view on JS guitars...

This isn't really a vender thing, so I'm posting it here in the JS forum,
mostly because I'm looking at this from a JS lover's point of view.

Has anyone ever been to Ed's web page and read his vews on Ibanez
guitars?

Have you seen what he (supposidly) found when he stripped the paint off
of a JS guitar? It was filled (badly and heavily) with bondo.

He has E-mail filters that just bomb out your E-mail if you even Mention
Ibanez guitars!

Now, I love the shape and the tone of a JS guitar, but the Donnie I had
before I found greatly lacking in quality...espeically since it was a $2200
guitar when I bought it (back in 90 or so). Reading what I read on Ed's
site, and from what I've been told about dots falling out on JS guitars,
and inlays on JEMs being cheap plastic with paper underneath...It gets me
to worrying that we aren't maybe getting taken for a few bux more then
we should on these guitars.

I talked to Ed about making me a guitar, with one of his JS rip-off bodys,
and some hand picked parts, and a neck of a shape more suited to my
average size hands...and he seemed very capable and willing to work out
something like that.

I'm almost wondering if I were to get a JS guitar, and repaint it (like I'm
planning), maybe I should strip it down first, and see whats under the
paint?

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Again, I'm not slamming Ed, or the JS guitars...I'm just looking for some
opinions. Maybe some peeps from here have stripped down a JS guitar?
Has your paramids fallen out on your Jem? Do you maybe feel you paid
too much for your JS-1000? I already know many of you think that about
the JS-100s. But what about the real thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
as much as we love to bash roman here, this thread can be closed and followed up in many other topics about his unhappy customers

CLOSED
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:35 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Rich typed up a long response before i locked... here it is before the RE-CLOSE... glen

written by Rich Harris
Quote:
Has anyone ever been to Ed\'s web page and read his vews on Ibanez guitars?
Yea, I've read all the *lies*, either that or the guy has no idea what he's talking about [which if you ask him any questions about Ibanez he clearly doesn't have a clue] Love the blurb on the...

"WARNING Ibanez has some Japaneze Guitars available that are touted as Korina wood. Be Careful these are IBANEZ FACTORY MADE FAKES, Ibanez used a cheaper Ash wood. They did not even bother to try to camouflage the guitar with a thin sheet of Korina Veneer the way Epiphone did. Ibanez tried to scam the American Public by using Ash and trying to pass it off as Korina

Reference to the Flying V, Explorer and Moderne copies no doubt, which were never advertised as being Korina, but being Korina FINISH. They were cheap knock offs of the 58' V/Exp/etc. and guess what, they were just as good, and they were CHEAP. You were paying for a cheap copy and got a killer guitar.

Quote:
Have you seen what he (supposidly) found when he stripped the paint off of a JS guitar? It was filled (badly and heavily) with bondo.

http://www.edroman.com/resource/images/ibabondo.jpg

The big question is what did you see?? Please go carefully examine that photo as closely as his lo resolution will allow. What's wrong with the picture? Check the neck pup and the trem rout, both clean huh? What's the red in the bridge pup rout? Now of course the pup routs would all be coated in shielding black, and the trem rout would be in the same color as the body. Why are these clean?

What could it have been anyway? It could only have been a 90'/91' JS1IR, orrrr, it could be any JS100TR, cheap (very), needs a little routing to be JS1 or 1000 spec., where? Oh the trem of course. Hmmmmmm. Now, the TR is a Trans Red. I'm sure they put that trans red coat on top of a body that had filler in it. Anybody ever seen a JS100 with filler under the finish? And that's the CHEAP model.

Oh, the filler. Take a close look at the *bondo* you see all over it, notice there's no RED on it anywhere? And does it make any sence at all? Why would they have to use filler in that much coverage, in those particular patterns. Bondo you might use to fill a gouge if you dropped or smacked a body. That's like bondo "Art".

My guess, Ed was getting a 100TR body prepped so his "Artists" could paint one of his copy/fake Donnies on, and thought up a way to increase sales of his "replacement" parts, and his level of bashing at the same time. "Hey, lets smear some caulk on this, take a shot next to that template body you just cut out, yea... yea, those idiots that like Ibanez will believe anything!!"
Quote:
He has E-mail filters that just bomb out your E-mail if you even Mention Ibanez guitars!
"Do not expect any answers to e-mails about Ibanez, BC Rich, ESP, Fender and especially Dean. (Basically this eliminates a lot of riff raff from my e-mail responses)

Of course you have to keep out the riff raff!

Quote:
Now, I love the shape and the tone of a JS guitar, but the Donnie I had before I found greatly lacking in quality...espeically since it was a $2200 guitar when I bought it (back in 90 or so).
Actually [forgot to hit this on that other thread] the JS Graphics have just about the most consistent quality control of anything from that era. The neck pockets and routs are all perfect, fit and finish correct, compared to flaws I've noted on JS1's, Jems, etc. of the period, the parts that were shipped to the US for 'finishing' you might call "hand picked". The same could be said for the MC bodies also finished here. Where they weren't up to snuff was in final polish, I have everything from highly polished, to sorta dull cause it still needs polishing. [That and those anoying cross eyed V & T knobs! Found on all 1/series.]

You said the skunk stripe was seperating on yours. That was a common problem, the neck is paper thin right there as a JS has a curved truss rout, in fact "suposedly" the first thing they did when they picked one up was to push in on the skunk stripe. It was a warranty issue and should have been dealt with then, somebody dropped that ball.

Quote:
Reading what I read on Ed\'s site, and from what I\'ve been told about dots falling out on JS guitars,
Who told you this? I've never seen a dot [or any other inlay] fall out of any guitar!

Quote:
and inlays on JEMs being cheap plastic with paper underneath...
I wonder what Ed would use to get Neon Yellow/Pink/Green inlays, hmmmmm, OK, somebody tell me what's even possible to be used to make a Neon Yellow inlay, open to suggestions, I'm sure Ed could use a few too.

Quote:
It gets me to worrying that we aren\'t maybe getting taken for a few bux more then we should on these guitars.
Are we talking about your Donnie here or something else? If it's your Donnie, just think of those Donnie copies ["Blue Faces" which Ed has been calling them for some time, wonder if he's not allowed to use the "Donnie Hunt" name anymore, and why/how/who got him, I want details!!] which are exactly what underneath? [check the wierd carnival colored faces one, that's a 540Radius][cough**100TR bodies**cough][his own highest quality replacements, routed for German trems of course!] which you can buy for the very modest price of $3000. [ooops, sorry for the rant]

Quote:
I talked to Ed about making me a guitar, with one of his JS rip-off bodys, and some hand picked parts, and a neck of a shape more suited to my average size hands...and he seemed very capable and willing to work out something like that.
Did you happen to get a quote?
Closed Thread

Tags
bridge pup , ibanez guitars , killer guitar , neck pockets , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode