Edge FX bridge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Edge FX bridge

What is that hex bolt between the third and fourth saddles for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Vendor

A third mounting point for greater stability.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:57 PM

Do you guys have a closeup picture of this? Im not sure what your talkin about
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:28 PM
Vendor

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:31 PM

Interesting design thanks rich. Do you use one of these personally and what is your opinion on the new bridge design? they should have made it with a piezo
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Vendor

I have absolutely "0" personal interest in hardtails
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:40 PM

I talked to Joe about the design, after his show in CT, it was neat to hear his perspective on why and how they came up with this. Besides what Rich stated, Joe told me that the nut was also placed there for tone.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

3rd mounting point for greater stability...right....

Now could you please explain to me in a non-guitar tech format what this is?????!!!?

Thanks a lot.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Vendor

You have a very long bridge as far as bridges go, it stabilizes the back of it so it won't move or flex on the mounting points. And evidently acording to Joe, adds tone. Care to elaborate there Chromeboy?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:39 PM

I'll say that for whatever reason, my JS2k is the most resonant and toneful guitar in my personal forest hands down. I know many things go into the "tone" equation, but this thing is alive! The strange thing I found about the third mounting point is that it doesn't just crank down to a solid point, rather it allows the bridge to "rock" as though it were a fine adjustment of some sort. I know that by varying the heighth of the stop tailpiece on my Les Paul I can affect the string tension but the range of adjustment doesn't seem sufficient to achieve the same result on the FX. I guess I haven't tried to torque the bolt all the way down but when I cranked it down some the front of the bridge started to raise and I wasn't after that so I stopped. Terrific guitar, even though the initial stringing and tuning seems unecessarily bothersome, but once it is tuned it is absolutely stable and quite a lot of fun. I also use it for downtuning by allowing some extra "slack" at the fine tuners and can easily go up or down a whole step on the fat "E". I love this thing. Z
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

So what exactly does the adjustment to the bolt do? String tension? Bridge angle?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Care to elaborate there Chromeboy?
Basically I sat down with Joe (I will post why, eventually ) and I asked him why. He told me that he had an idea for a bridge like this for some time and was suprised when he found out that Hoshino was interested in developing a new bridge. Joe wanted something similar to the Gibson tune-o-matic, but with other features. He liked the tone he got from the locking nut and nut pads and he liked the fine tuners. He also pointed out the center nut on the bridge and said "this thing adds tone". He mentioned that the bridge enables him to tune the low E down to a C with not much fuss, which he obviously can't do with the Edge. It was really cool to find out that he actually co-developed this, and not just approved it to endorse.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Vendor

Thanks for sharing!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:37 PM

Id like to have one of these on a jem to toy around with. I would probably do the overkill mod and add locking tuners so as to allow me to do some things without the nut locked. Ive always wanted to add locking tuners to a locking nut equipped guitar anyways, just for kicks. Its not like you need them or anything
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

You SAT DOWN WITH JOE?

Excuse me, but how did you go about "sitting down with joe" as you so called it?

Tags
bridge angle , equipped guitar , guitar tech , les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , nut pads , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode