edge on js100 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

edge on js100

Is it possible to put on an edge/lopro-edge on a js100?
Like everybody knows LO-trs II SSSSUUUUCCCKKKSSS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 01:44 PM

edge on js100

No, *it's not a direct fit - but you can have a luthier reroute the cavity, then it will fit.

A Original Floyd rose should fit directly though.

mike
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:06 AM

edge on js100

Mikek, what are you saying?
Edge /Lo-Pro DO FIT the TRS' place!!!

loproman, listen to me:
GET AN USED EDGE/LO-PRO AND PUT IT ON YOUR BABE!!!
NO ROUTING REQUIRED at all! I've done the same thing on TWO of my Ibanezes, and they work just perfect!!!!
I repeat:
NO ROUTINGS REQUIRED, nor any wood work!!!!!
The bolts are at the same identical distance each other, both in TRS than Edge.
DO IT!

nuno
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 09:50 AM

edge on js100

OK. *I've been reading these diametrically opposed veiwpoints for a while. *Some say it can directly fit, some say routing is needed. *Is it a case of the JS100 being the one guitar where no routing is required? *Is it a case of sloppy tolerances in the korean routing so it works on some & not others? *Unless someone's dealt with several examples of several models, you wouldn't know.

I'll throw my hat in when my JS100 arrives this week. (gotten as a trade for my old sabre, which was a better guitar but less marketable. *I'm selling the JS as soon as I get it.)

In the meantime, consider the other options. *I'd prefer an original Floyd anyway (sacrilege!).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:14 AM

edge on js100

That's simple:

1. The TRS is bigger than the Edge, so its cavity.
2. The bolts are at the same identical distance both the TRS than the Edge.

I know it for experience: I replaced TRS with Edge on both an RG270 and an RBM10. But doesn't matter to try to believe: just watch them.
The TRS is BIGGER, so the Edge is FORCED to fit a bigger place with NO ROUTINGS. That's simple!
Trust me guys, NO ROUTINGS NEEDED!!!! I sent loproman a couple pics to show him my two Ibys with the TRS replaced with the Edge.
C'mon Rich, help me, you know it's true. Tell them!!

nuno
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:19 AM
Vendor

edge on js100

Can't help, I've never swapped them since I won't let a TRS equiped anything in the house to begin with
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:29 AM

edge on js100

I have it just requires a little routing down both side's of the trem cavity......

If your going to change out the trem post's to the upgraded Lo-Pro/Edge post's you might want to look at this Tutorial and also have a steady hand when it comes to redrilling the post holes to enlarge them big enough to fit the new bushings.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 08:24 AM

edge on js100

> (becalvert): 'I have it just requires a little routing down both side's of the trem cavity...'

Routings? Can you explain me why? Can you explain me what a routing works there?
That's useless: why you're going to route a cavity that is ALREADY BIGGER than the thing you're filling with?
It's like make room in an humbucker cavity to fit it with a single!
It's absurd! It's a paradox!
Can someone explain me why?

Trem Posts-wise: it's clear that you have to satifsy yourself with the TRS' posts, if you don't want to do any wood work.

nuno
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 10:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
edge on js100

The tremolo cavity routing of the TRS guitars is widely variable and likely requires routing, as stated multiple times here.

If the Edge fits in directly, then you are LUCKY, as this is the exception, not the rule... glen
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 11:50 AM

edge on js100

Nuno, take a breath man.

You've obviously had some good experiences but not all are the same.
People on this very site have swapped them out before, and whilst yours was easy, not everyone's was and did involve some routing to accomodate it.

Steve
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:11 PM

edge on js100

Thanks Guy's =o)

* Yes about 90% of the time the clearance between the side's of the trem cavity and the trem itself do not allow the trem to make pullups! You can dive bomb all day long but it just won't work properly as it was designed for. Thats why the routing must done in most case's.
* On yet other case's if you leave the cavity as stock the trem will not fit down low enough, thus causing most people to have to put in neck shim's to raise their fret board (unless of course they like high action). And thats why it is routed out even wider in most case's. Like those guy's above said, if your's just dropped in and worked fine then feel blessed because it isn't the norm just the exception.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 04:15 AM

edge on js100

Ok guys, you're right...
I just needed an explanation. I'm pretty relaxed, now... zzz... zzz...

nuno

ps: so I'm blessed, huh? Cool...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 08:12 PM

edge on js100

Just tried the JS100 - the edge fit, but MAN it's close. *No hampered movement at all, but it's so close it's disconcerting. *Doesn't look great, either. *If I wasn't going to rout it I'd use a floyd.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 04:40 AM

edge on js100

A Floyd instead of an Edge? You fool!
Route your babe!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 07:13 AM

edge on js100

My first axe was an '83 Kramer Pacer. *Since then, I've just always preferred Floyds. *I mean, I LIKE the edges a lot, but still slightly prefer a Floyd.

Tags
floyd rose , fret board , kramer pacer , neck shim , tremolo cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode