Edge Pro 2/Edge Pro - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Smile Edge Pro 2/Edge Pro

Hi,

I'm gonna buy a JS100 soon, and other than upgrading the electronics, I was thinking about possibly swapping out the Edge Pro 2 bridge for an Edge Pro, or somwthing better, because my friend says Edge Pro 2's are not good.

The whole Edge bridge business is new territory for me.

Would an original Floyd Rose fit? I've got one on my other guitar (Fender FR Classic) and I swear by them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Re: Edge Pro 2/Edge Pro

Buy a used JS1000 instead. After you have upgraded the bridge and pickups, you will have spent more than the 1000 and will still have a worse neck.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Ryan is correct, the amount of trouble involved isnt worth it.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Buy a used JS1000 instead. After you have upgraded the bridge and pickups, you will have spent more than the 1000 and will still have a worse neck.
What's wrong with the neck?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

And by the by, is the JS1000 only available in that weird blue colour? I've only ever seen it in that colour?

Thanks
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Lightbulb Re: Edge Pro 2/Edge Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
And by the by, is the JS1000 only available in that weird blue colour? I've only ever seen it in that colour?

Thanks
I guess you are referring to Burnt Transparent Blue? That's appears to be no longer in production, just JS1000 in Black Pearl, or a JS1200 in Candy Apple (=red) but the BTB is still on international websites:

USA:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JS1000

Last edited by eviltwin; 07-16-2006 at 11:11 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin
I guess you are referring to Burnt Transparent Blue? That's appears to be no longer in production, just JS1000 in Black Pearl, or a JS1200 in Candy Apple (=red) but the BTB is still on international websites:

USA:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JS1000
Yeah, thanks

I love candy-apple red, but the white model appeals to me most, which I've seen the JS100 as in a few places.

Ah well.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with the neck?
Nothing wrong with the neck and is all depends on individual preference.
Also, you can have the best guitar neck in the world but if you can't
play then just useless.

Check out youtube and there is alot of great guitar players using js100.
JS100 is very good but had to great if you have the money just go for the
js1000/js1200 cause the upgrades does cost alot.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklec88
play then just useless.

Actually its a korean made neck and is of a lower quality standard than the Japanese version, different fretwire etc. Correct me if im wrong but it also doesnt have a compound radius on it either.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklec88
play then just useless.

I'm an alright enough player I think don't really know how I can prove it, lol. Suffice it to say, I've learned guitar through playing a lot of Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Megadeth, and Satriani, mainly I've been leaning heavily towards learning Satch mostly, recently, so I thought it about time I get a guitar that I can use for more instrumental stuff - my strat is set to the same specs as Adrian Smith (of Maiden), except I use 11s, a high action, and a high-output pup in the bridge. For instrumentals I'd prefer a more medium-output affair, and probably 10s instead of 11s. My strat's like my "play slow" guitar, for more controlled, heavier-picked stuff.

I was thinking of getting the JS100 and upgrading the electroncis (which I can do myself), and I can get the DiMarzio Mo' Joe for the bridge (I'm dying for this pup), and a PAF Joe for the neck for about £80 inc., for the pair of them. I can do most setup stuff myself, which saves a fair bit of money.

Sorry for rambling & not making sense, lol!

Last edited by Leviathan; 07-16-2006 at 05:51 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Actually its a korean made neck and is of a lower quality standard than the Japanese version, different fretwire etc. Correct me if im wrong but it also doesnt have a compound radius on it either.
I noticed the JS100 was korean-made, but it gets good reviews on harmony central, and people seem to play well enough on it?

The build-quality may be is slightly less well-done than a Japanese version, but isn't this something a good setup can fix? It can't fix teh materials, I know, but that asides.

For the sake of comparison, is the JS100 like a mid-range MIM Strat?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I noticed the JS100 was korean-made, but it gets good reviews on harmony central, and people seem to play well enough on it?

The build-quality may be is slightly less well-done than a Japanese version, but isn't this something a good setup can fix? It can't fix teh materials, I know, but that asides.

For the sake of comparison, is the JS100 like a mid-range MIM Strat?
Its just lack of quality components and workmanship, by all means if i got a good deal on one i would buy one *(as long as it didnt have a trs on it* but you really really really are better off buying a japanese made ibanez, for resale value, and overall quality, tone the japanese guitars are highly superior to the korean ones. The js100's sound okay but they really dont sit in the same room with a 1000 etc.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Its just lack of quality components and workmanship, by all means if i got a good deal on one i would buy one *(as long as it didnt have a trs on it* but you really really really are better off buying a japanese made ibanez, for resale value, and overall quality, tone the japanese guitars are highly superior to the korean ones. The js100's sound okay but they really dont sit in the same room with a 1000 etc.
With the money I've got, if I sold my amp and a few pedals, I'd be closer to being able to affording one than not...

but I need the damned white model, lol

Thanks
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
With the money I've got, if I sold my amp and a few pedals, I'd be closer to being able to affording one than not...

but I need the damned white model, lol

Thanks

there used to be JS1000 in white but its discontinued. Maybe you can find it used.

I have a js1000bp and also(temporarily) my cousin's js100 and dude, everybody is right about the quality difference. Not the same neck, pickups, trem, frets, hardware and body is heavier too(on the js100)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojim
there used to be JS1000 in white but its discontinued. Maybe you can find it used.

I have a js1000bp and also(temporarily) my cousin's js100 and dude, everybody is right about the quality difference. Not the same neck, pickups, trem, frets, hardware and body is heavier too(on the js100)
The trem's my main concern. I can upgrade the electronics. I play on quite a few different necks, so I doubt I'd mind much about that...

but as things stand, I'm saving up for a JS1000 instead cheers!

Tags
adrian smith , burnt transparent blue , edge bridge , edge trem , floyd rose , guitar players , iron maiden , locking trems , paf joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode