Edge Pro fiasco? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Edge Pro fiasco?

When the new tremolos were anounced i was drooling over the idea. The edge/Lo Pro edge reigned supreme for 15 years, so it was natural to be very excited about a new tremolo.

At that time I even read a number of post here of people wanting to wait before the get their 7VWHs, prestiges, js, etc, just to get the new tremolo.

Now, I ve read some people who wont get anyu of those guitars new, because they are after a 2002 (or previus) model.

Recently I talked to a friend who expierenced these exact change of mind.

On the other hand the ZR had mostly great reviews.

What do you think? Should Ibanez reissue the Lo Pro/edge tremolos? Should the make the ZR available in the signature and RG series? Or should they just fix the locking studs issue, and let the peoplo grow some love for the Edge Pro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:00 PM

Well, Vai and Satch don't look like they're using Edge Pros so i am going to say yes. I think that if Vai and Satch don't have them on THEIR guitar then they shouldn't be on the production models. Anybody agree?
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
it's a fiasco akin to "new coke", but the rest will soon unfold...

the first blunder was having to change the body routing on every existing axe, as well as have duplicate inventory of parts on the new trem. hosh usa alone has $100k tied up in parts as a result.

all for zero improvement for the player.

next up, the 2002 closeouts crippled dealer sales due to heavy discounting of the now "old" and different models. anyone buy a 2003 VSBL at $1700 when a $999 closeout was offered. get serious.

barring divine intervention, ibanez seems not to care about locking studs or just about anything short of sales of $199 cheapie axes.
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'd agree with Glen's last point. Ibanez seems to me to be sitting on it's laurels. They've made the best rock guitars in the world for 10 years. Now they don't have to. So they don't bother.

I don't trust the new trems, I've not kept one in tune in a shop yet, so I'm not buying one to not keep in tune at home.

I don't trust the non-locking studs.

I don't think I'll buy a new Ibanez any time soon And whilst you guys understand, Ibanez has no idea how much that hurts

If Joe still gets the original Edge on his custom axes; I think there's probably a very good reason for it.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Well, the reasons Glen pointed out are enough to call it a fiasco at least for Hoshino and the dealers.

If there is any significant cost production reduction in the Edge Pro vs the Lo Pro, then may be they can make the equation work if they fix the studs issue. I really think these are very marginal considerations from a CFO point of view, but they are important froma CRM point of view.

I, for one, would seriusly think about getting a new Ibanez if they put locking studs in them again. I know the mod is not a great deal of work, but I dont want to be forced to go thruogh that when I buy a brand new guitar.
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
RCB

Still I have to recognize the ZR tremolo is a great innovation. It has very different feel, but it stays in tune as perfect as any other trem. Actually it has become my favorite trem (to bad it is installed in my less favorite guitar)
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Vendor

If you get something perfect from any manufacturer today you got a fluke
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If you get something perfect from any manufacturer today you got a fluke
I'd certainly agree with this from a guitar point of view. But my point is that most Edge trems on guitars hanging in my local guitar stores stay at least roughly in tune. The Edge Pros I've tried don't.

And besides ... "we fear change"
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
RCB

I, personally, dont fear change at all when change is an improvement. I would buy an RGT3120 with a ZR on it in the blink of an eye.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Vendor

Every one I ship stays in tune perfectly, and with excellent pullup return
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
RCB

OK, it s great to know that you can actually fix the Edge Pro and make it work AS IT SHOULD RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

The fact that you make great set ups, doesnt help Ibanez, or compensate for their wrong calls. The % of Ibanez total sales that you account for, is a very small fraction. All the rest are stuck with pricey guitars, that are inferior to their previus incarnations.

May be if we send a letter to the CRM area at Ibanez signed by most of us (500-1000) should be more than enough, to voice a couple of concerns, we may at least get an answer.

This is a fairly global concern (its not like asking "he, please rerealeas the MCs, or "why dont you releas the J customs, or "you should make a fixed bridge jem"). Changing the studs should imply almost 0 additional cost for them.
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
RCB

If I run a company and receive a letter form 500-1000-2000 hard core clients (hundreds of people who all own several, or at leas one, of my higher end products), I would be listening to what they have to say.
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

i'd wager ibanez would ignore the pleas. they probably save more $$$ per stud then they do per trem change. some talk was the new trem design was done to eliminate royalties on the expired FR patent they licensed.

again, ibanez is losing mindset and satisfaction of customers worlwide with each guitar they sell, but they don't seem to mind being in a death-spiral ...glen
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
OK, it s great to know that you can actually fix the Edge Pro and make it work AS IT SHOULD RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

What, like the Lo Pro did from 94' to 2001'?!?! Just a bug of a different color
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
some talk was the new trem design was done to eliminate royalties on the expired FR patent they licensed.
The patent ran out, no royalties were due. The molds were reaching the end of their useful life and molds cost big money. They decided to revise the design again if they were going to have to pay for molds anyway.

Tags
acoustic guitar , andy timmons , blues saraceno , custom shop , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , ernie ball , fender strat , fixed bridge , frank gambale , guitar shop , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , john petrucci , korean guitar , locking stud , locking studs , marty friedman , mexican strat , mij guitars , paul gilbert , pro edge , production model , richie kotzen , signature guitar , usa custom shop , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode