edge pro to lo pro - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Vendor

Re: edge pro to lo pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegacy View Post
Okay.... I do hate it when I spend $1400 to prove Rich right.
I tried to tell you, I did the swap both ways long ago when it was a heated topic, and I dare say if you try another VWH body you'll find out while it may fit in that one it won't [be useable without modding] in another. The block is nearly twice the size on an EP as the ED/LP block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 AM

Want a deal on JS1000????

I think I'll keep if for awhile.
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 AM
Vendor

Ever hear the term "return"?
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
ew .wmv

Regards

André

post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ever hear the term "return"?
That's why I said I'd keep it for awhile. Awhile being 29 days!
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
dex

This was the only major issue we came up with back in the day - the ears in the side of a Edge and Lo Pro Edge go all the way forward to where the baseplate ends.

It's quite clear from the pic that this specific guitar will need routing to accept an Edge or a Lo Pro Edge.
Either that or you'll have to file said years on your Lo Pro Edge to make it fit.
Second point is the underside of the new trems is much chunkier and like Rich said fitting it is a gamble.
It might fit, it might not.

make sure to click on the "full size" option on the top left.

By the way as you can clearly see there an EDGE trem will ABSOLUTELY NOT FIT in an Edge pro cavity without the lions claw as the string lock screws stick out too far.

Last edited by dex; 12-17-2006 at 11:18 AM.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 AM

So even with a JEM7VWH you couldn't swap the edge pro for an original edge without routing?
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegacy View Post
That's why I said I'd keep it for awhile. Awhile being 29 days!
Pushing it to the limit .

Regards

André

post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:21 AM

so how abt ep2 to edge will i neeed any routin work?i got a jem 555 with the ep2 and im gettin an edge soon will it be a direct fit?
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:46 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman13 View Post
So even with a JEM7VWH you couldn't swap the edge pro for an original edge without routing?
It's a gamble. It might work and also might not but if the ears of the Edge are the only thing in the way (you'll know as like Rich said the trem won't go forward enough for the knives to sit on the posts) like you can see from my pic then just file them a little rather than route the guitar.

About the Edge Pro II to Edge I'd say no or at least you won't be able to pull up because the string lock screws on an Edge stick out too far back so they'll dig into the lions claw.
Again - trying it is the only way to find out for sure.
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 18

That's why Joe had his 1200 routed for an Edge.

http://peavey.com/images/extras/wall...sx_02_1024.bmp

Jimmy
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
That's why Joe had his 1200 routed for an Edge.

http://peavey.com/images/extras/wall...sx_02_1024.bmp

Jimmy
Yeah but on the new Live DVD he's using a JS with an Edge Pro.

Regards

André

post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to comment on something. I bought a jem body project (alder) and was told it was for edge and lo-pro edge. I had a rg1550 that I wanted to use for parts (edge pro)for the maple neck and to make a natural out of it. I did the swap, and it came out looking pretty sweet. The body was apparently routed for the old style neck (56mm?) but the new prestige necks are a bit wider (58mm?) so had to sand a bit off each side to make it fit.

The first issue I had with the trem was that I couldn't get the action low enough to match my real jem.

I had the bass side trem adjustment screw bottomed out, and the treble side nearly bottomed out. In addition, there was only a tiny bit of pull up ability.

The first thing I did (since it was a natural) was take the trem out and sand a couple millimeters of wood from the back route where the trem block was hitting the wood. Took me a while, but it worked well, and now I had normal pull up ability and can't even really tell I did any sanding.

The second thing I did was shim the neck with a brass shim. This brought the neck angle up, but I had to back out the trem height adjustment screws a couple turns to get it playing with really low action like my original jem.

But I discovered the intonation was off, so I adjusted it, and the high "e" saddle ended up moved forward to the point that it is hitting the pickguard. So now I may have to cut a bit of the pickguard to make it work.

Oh well, I'm still working on it, and I'll see if I can get it adjusted right. Maybe I'll try a smaller shim and lower the trem a bit to see if I can get it intonated.

I'll update how it ends up when I get it there.
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Reviews: 1

It's an old thread, but I'm going to do the swap on my -04 Jem 7VWH when I get my Edge. Will post pics along the way.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Reviews: 1

Finally she's home. My first jem! JEM 7VWH, 2004 with one piece maple neck, rosewood fretboard. You can say she's in mint condition.

Will post better pics tomorrow.

Tags
aanj neck , aanj neck joint , custom jem , double neck , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge trems , ibanez trem , neck joint , neck joints , pro edge , steve vai , string lock , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode